cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIFO picking strategies

0 Kudos

We are trying to implement the FIFO picking strategies in our warehouse for a building roof company. Suppose I have 2 materials into 2 different bin with quant GR dates as April 2014 for A and May 2014 for B. Bin A, has 20 qty, while B has 30 qty. After production, you have kept the 20 and 30 qty together in one bin in the warehouse. So when you do the outbound delivery for these material for qty of 25 qty, which qtys are going to be picked from the warehouse because after the production, the old quant GR dates will be replaced by the new one right ?

Please let me know, if FIFO works fine in this scenario

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

mihailo_sundic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If they are in the same bin then any quantity from that bin would be suitable to confirm it during picking TO confirmation.

You need to split these quantities to 2 storage bins if you want this functionality.

If your bins are too large for a one production receipt, then you might need to reorganize your warehouse complex to make the locations(bins) smaller and optimize for your needs.

That should have been done at the first place during WM implementation...but it's never too late.

former_member318507
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kapil,

So your process is first production, then followed by outbound delivery

Please answers my questions

1. At first point Initially why did you kept 20 qty in A bin and 30 qty in B bin? Is it due to different GR dates hence it was kept in different bin  or any other reason?

If the reason is because of different GR date of you stock, then if you implement FIFO now, then while issue to production itself the FIFO will apply , so first picked to production will be Bin A and then followed by Bin B.

And first out of production also bin A and then bin B. If both batches comes out on different dates , then no issues, since again FIFO will be still applicable & effective even though the GR dates are replaced with new dates.

Unless both batches comes out of production on the same day.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if you want FIFO, then you have to give SAP and your users and warehouse folks a chance to know this.

If you mix 2 productions in the same bin, and you have no other stock splitting character, then you just loose this tracebility.

In general you can only have this via batch management or by storing each receipt in an extra storage bin.

0 Kudos

So, in my company, we don't use storage management, batch management and HUM.so by ur answer, you confirm that it is not a wise decision to group the 2 bins qty into one bin qty after production.