cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COA Requirement for 'Assembly' products

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts

We are in process of Implementing SAP QM using ECC 6.0 and we have one requirement for our "Toll Manufacturer" (Third Party Producers for us). These toll manufacturers produce chemical products for us and do the Quality Checks and Ship to customer. They have their own tool (non SAP) to monitor/record Production Data and Quality Details. During the implementation of QM in our own production facilities globally, we also migrate these toll manufacturer from the existing QM tool they are using to SAP QM.

The need for COA in our own facilities have been meet, but for toll manufacturing sites, the requirement is as below to address:

These toll manufacturers currently generate COAs on “Assembly” products.  What this means is that the test data can be pulled from multiple products and then combined on the “Assembly” COA.  For example in their current legacy system , toll manufacturers uses “ Assembly ” functionality  to capture results for any Component (say C1) and this result is used in various Assemblies (Finished Goods, say F1 and F2). Now while printing COAs they refer the batch / lot result for the C1 to print in Assemblies (F1 , F2) . Is there any such functionality available in SAP Qm or can you please advise how to address this requirement prefrably using standard SAP system?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you are batch managed and have a batch-where-used history set up in SAP yes.. that functionality is there for COA's.  To create a proper batch-where-used history you have to have used the production/process orders to consume the various components into the each assembled product until the final assembly is done.

In your case, I'm not sure how SAP would know what went into what since you get the final assembly delivered to you and have no assembly information.  I have heard of people adding info to the batch where used table directly but I have never done it.  You would need to create material masters for all the sub-components where the various results might come from.  I think it would be a lot of work to accomplish.

Why not just have the tollers send you the final product COA resutls?

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Craig.

What I am thinking is to capture batch results for components (C1) against individual inspection lots (create manually) (L1, L2,L3 etc), and then using enhancement we can pick the C1 result (Result Origin concept) for Assembly while generating COA s.

But issue is how system will know which batch for C1 to pick against the result for F1 / F2 ?

Toll manufacturer does not use SAP Production / Process orders to capture production either and they currently use stand alone Lab vantage QM tool .

Regards

Su

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes. that's' the problem.  You have to some how link the sub assemblies to the final assemblies.  In regular SAP this is done automatically because you have the history created by the various process/production orders which is what is used to update the batch where used table.  You would need to somehow create this same link in the batch where used table.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's the Problem Craig, I am out of ideas to find ways to link those ! But will keep on looking for any other ideas / suggestions to help me with.

Thanks a lot for your reply though.

Regards

Su

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The only way to link these is to have your toller put the hierarchy together for you.  Once you have that, you could theoretically load it into the batch where used table.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes. And the other way can be to allow one pop up screen through enhancement and allow the user to input valid component batch they want to refer while printing COA for assembly .

It's just a thought but not checked the feasibility yet.

Thanks

Su

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes.. you could do that, but you'd still need the toller to provide a list of the sub-assembly batch numbers that went into the final assemblies.   If you get that from them, you might just as well dump it into the batch where used table.  Either way you still need to maintain all the materials, (sub assemblies), in your system which I think you are already doing since you have results related to them.