cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP QM multiple measurements for an inspection characteristic

Former Member
0 Kudos

For QM in goods receipts inspection. We want to make 12 measurements on, let´s say, a wall thickness.  I want to make 12 measurements even when I have only one piece, and it´s the same piece.

How to model that? Please advise!

Best regards, Enno

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member204463
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Enno,

As per your requirement, ideally the inspection point functionality can be worked out. But as you replied  earlier that it is not suitable for you, than I suggest one more standard way of doing it using Results Data Origin, but you need additional master data to be created which is cumbersome activity. But anyway, just go through the document link below and see if it works out for you. This functionality is normally using in Mining Industry.

Quality Control of Geochemical Samples in Mining Industry -

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-48211

With this functionality you can record the multiple values for same characteristic (MIC) with different results data origin (needs to be configured).

Regards,

Prakash K

jogeswararao_kavala
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Enno,

There is an option in Class Characteristic used in MIC. i.e., in Tcode CT04.

May verify, whether this helps.

Jogeswara Rao K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jogeswara,

we have just MIC, so normal QM inspection characteristics, without reference to a class characteristic. I assume that there must be a way directly in QM.

Regards, Enno

jogeswararao_kavala
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Pl see whether this link helps

Inspection with multiple single values . | SCN

Regards

Jogeswara Rao K

former_member235613
Participant
0 Kudos

I assume you are using sampling procedures? If so, you need a sampling procedure with sample size = 12 and make sure the MIC control indicator is marked as single results, not summary results.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have tried, but if the lotsize (e.g., a goods receipt) is smaller than the sample size, it reduces the sample size to the lot size. We want 12 measurements even when we receive only 1 piece!

former_member184574
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Enno,

Try this option..

In the inspection plan header keep inspection points as 100 Freely-defined inspection point then for same inspection lot you can do multiple times results recording...

use the relevant sampling procedure...after the creation of inspection lot then go to QE51N there you can do multiple time results recording...

Check and revert..

Thanks

Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

I´ve tried with an own inspection point ID because 100 is for inspection in process whereas we have inspection in goods receipt. Nevertheless, it doesn´t work: I have a sampling procedure with quantity 12 and have goods receipt lotsize 5, and it reduces the measurements from 12 to 5. So the system assumes that 5 pieces have to be inspected, not that one piece shall get 12 measurements. Would I need 12 inspection points?? For one physical unit??

Workaround: I´ve created the control indicators of the IC with Inspection Scope not fixed, so I can record more results than the lotsize prescribes. It´s a workaround. But is there no way to fix the number of required measurements from the beginning in the master data?

Regards, Enno

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jogeswara,

thanks for the lenghty thread and multiple explanations. I have seen that inspection points seem to ge a good approach, but it doesn´t work as expected, see the last reply to Kumar below.

Any other approach?

Regards, Enno

jogeswararao_kavala
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Enno,

I'm afraid, I haven't enough expertise in this area. If something strikes mind, I'll get back to you.

Best Regards

Jogeswara Rao K

former_member235613
Participant
0 Kudos

Can you make your base sample quantity for the characteristic any smaller? We had to create a "fake" unit of measure ZZZ that has a very low conversion to the real UOM. We then set the UOM for the characteristic as ZZZ with base sample quantity 0.01.

former_member221025
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Enno,

Nice thread it is!

I understand you want to fix required number of measurements for an MIC, otherwise it was a ideal case for inspection point.

You have already tried using Inspection points, Check if some user exit can restrict entry of only 12 inspection points.

If this does not help, as a last option you may Create 12 MICs for 12 measurements.

Amol.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

inspection points might be a solution together with a user exit. Without, the user would have to create inspection points manually, which is not very comfortable

12 MICs of course work and is preferred by the user. However, the system doesn´t calculate the average of the 12 MIC because it assumes to be 12 different things - also not so good ...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

our UOM is PC, so to create a UOM that is 1/1000 of a PC is somewhat artificial.

I wonder why our customer is the only one that has this problem.

By the way, my colleague says that with physical sampling, that´s no problem, you can have multiple measurements on one physical sample. In our case, with goods receipt inspection, physical sampling seem somehew artificial, and we want to avoid this.

former_member235613
Participant
0 Kudos

It's most definitely artificial. Since we don't do cost of quality or have our inventory impacted at all by sample calculation, it doesn't matter in our case.

If you do go with the 12 individual MIC's route, it is possible to create a Z formula that averages multiple characteristics. We have done this for one of our plants that required individual MIC's that sometimes they filled in just some of them and wanted the avg of the MIC's that had results. We put the characteristic range in Infofield2 that we want to average (i.e. 30:90) and the Z formula takes the valid result in that range, averages them and then records that average.

former_member221025
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Enno,

You need to record multiple results (12)  for same characteristic, So there is no question of using Sampling procedure as you are not going to record results for 12 different samples.

I strongly belive Solution has to be through Inspection point.

Below link might be helpful for you.

Inspection point | SCN

I suppose, this requirement can not be fullfilled by standard way or some simple config change but you will have to look for most feasible option we have whether it is comfortable or not.

Amol.