cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picking transfer order without SU number for SU managed storage type

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We have a requirement to release picking TO without having to determine the SU numbers that needs to be picked up from the bin.

Scenario: Sales Order is created --> Delivery is created --> Picking TO is released --> The Batch determination happens at TO create level and TO has selected to pick a particular batch from an open storage type. Now this open storage type has mixing allowed and there are many pallets stacked in various positions. The transfer order should not pre-determine the SU numbers during TO create but allow the user flexibility to pull out any pallet of that batch and later update the SU number during TO confirmation.

The reason for this requirement is the storage type is a open storage with many pallets one behind the other of the same batch. during picking user needs flexibility of picking up any pallet/SU and update the SU number during TO confirm.

Can you let us know if anyone has worked on this scenario and achieved the required functionality? How can we achieve this.

Best Regards,

Harish

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Harish ,

Does SU management active helps you in your said buisness case . if not an deactivate same for flexible operation.

Thanks

jinoy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Manish and Jurgen for the suggestions. We do have blocking logic set as B so we are going ahead with the design considerations of 1 Bulk bin with 10000 pallets and blocking logic B takes cares of multiple parellel processing. If we encounter any issues I will post a new discussions again.

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

The result which you are expecting is possible only with Bulk storage where you can have multiple SU storage one behind other and system will allow to pick any SU at the time of TO confirmation. please have a look on the Bulk strategy (In my opinion open strategy won't help much)

Strategy B: Bulk Storage - Warehouse Management Guide - SAP Library

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

Yes we also have bulk configured on another storage type and it allows pick any SU during TO Confirmations. however there is a limitations that only 1000 SU's are allowed under bulk.

The capacity requirement is one open storage bin with 10000 pallets and hence bulk cannot be used here.

We are looking at possibilities of keeping putaway strategy as open storage and removing the SU numbers during the transfer order save via custom enhancement, So that exact SU number can be updated back during TO confirm.

If anyone has done such custom enhancement, it will be great to get any inputs if this is possible.

Best Regards,

Harish

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

Not that i am aware of about the approach u mentioned however In my opinion is not advisable as you need to write the piece of in creation as well as confirmation program. Also you need to suppress standard SAP code at lot of place where at the time of creation or confirmation it checks the SU number in the LTAP_VLENR  field. Ur technical team member are the right person to guide / help you in this regard

limitations of 1000 SU's in Bulk --Is this business process restriction as far as i know from SAP standard perspective we are allowed to store No of SU up to 6 character(999999)

in the below example i can have stack height of 99 and stacks of 999 however if you will ask me from real life experience in the warheouse it is next to impossible to manage such a stock with high number of stack and height

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Manish.

Wanted to check if we set up bulk racking - One bin with 10000 Pallet capacity with mixed storage allowed. Will there be any issues during picking & putaway. Please share if anyone has handled such scenario and issues with having bulk racking with such huge capacity.

Our Idea is: storage type has mixed storage & addition to existing stock allowed with a defined capacity of 10000.

Can any one share is there is going to be any issue like locking that we need to consider because there will be a lot of inward(Putaway)and outward(picking) movements during the same instances.

Thank You.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

a CP1 pallet is about 1m * 1.2m

this means 10000 pallets would cover 2 soccer fields

or at least 1 if you store 2 layers high, still without aisles to drive through

This is bigger than entire warehouse of other companies.

If this were all pallets with empty drums or with the same material then I wouldn't have much doubts, but with mixed storage it means you have several materials or at least several batches of the same material in this area.

How are you going to find the goods in a reasonable time?

From my 15 years experience with WM I can just say I never met a situation like that or at least the outcome was at least 20 bins instead of just one for an area of that size.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen,

The requirement is as below.

We are looking at integrating SAP WMS with a 3rd party(Dematics Control systems) that will drive the automatic storage and retrievals. Our Idea is to have SAP as one bin location and bin positions mapped and controlled by Dematics with reference to SU number labels generated from SAP.

The idea of choosing Bulk was that bulk allows flexibility during picking. If we perform batch determination in SAP WMS and create TO to pick from this bin, system only determines batches from the bin and does not decide on exact Su at this stage. The dematics control system is free to pick any SU for this batch from any location and send TO confirmation back to SAP via interface.

In SAP it is one bin, one section, one bin type with 10000 Pallets with mixing allowed and with 1 SU per pallet generating a quant for every pallet. combination of many materials and many batches in this bin but only full pallets allowed to be stored. Interface will keep performing putaway and picking from this bin regularly and not sure if this will have impact of locking for the above scenario and need advise.

Thanks,

Harish

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

Couple of points.

if i look closely the reply which you provided to Jurgen, one side you are saying that bin "Positions mapped and controlled by Dematics with reference to SU number labels generated from SAP."

another side in the same thread you are saying "The dematics control system is free to pick any SU for this batch from any location and send TO confirmation back to SAP via interface."

is the design finalized or you are in the process to decide what needs to be done

I earlier worked on Dematic AS/RS related implementation and all my  warehouse was having Rack structure and i am hoping the same is there in your case also if that is So did u analyzed how the mixing is going to work as a business process.

As far as locking are concern if the same crane is doing picking / putaway activity it will be queued so in my personal opinion locking should not be issue however you need to take into consideration of any delayed update which can impact the further activity (e.g. if the idoc fails to update TO and there is a subsequent activity to perform on the same SU)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

I am looking for some suggestions for someone with Dematics AS/RS integration and surely your suggestions will help me.

We are still in analysis stage and this is our initial assumptions:

1. We will not have AS/RS bins mapped into SAP WM. when we receive goods into the warehouse the pallets are received/Putaway in one single bin in SAP WMS. SAP WMS to send the instructions via IDOCs to dematics to perform putaway and dematics will control the bin locations and the correct bin location in AS/RS is not known to SAP as we only see stocks in one bin in SAP WMS.

2. Picking instructions will not be sent to AS/RS via SAP WMS transfer orders. We will just send delivery instructions from SAP and transfer order creation & confirmation to occur in SAP after the physical stock picking has been completed by AS/RS via IDOC confirmation.

So my question is for the above scenario's as we will perform putaway & picking TO creation/Confirmation into SAP WMS at the same time into a single bin based on the IDOCS received from the AS/RS system. Will this cause any issues with our design considerations.

Thanks,

Harish

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

As far as storage Bin are concern as long as you have the blocking logic method defined as 'B' it should not be a issue.