Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future for SAP Screen Personas

former_member186078
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I am novice to SAP Screen Personas and would like to start exploring this for one of our requirement. As we know that Microsoft stated that they are going to end support for Silver light and I understand that the main back-end for Persona execution is Silverlight.

So, I would like to know what would be the future of SAP screen persons. Is it worthful for a new customer like us to work on this area? Can you please shed some light based on your expertise?

Thanks in advance Friends.

Regards,

Adithya K

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are 2 versions of Personas: Silverlight and HTML, see and regarding the future of Personas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think it is also worth noting this comment: it would seem that all current screen personas customers using it productively use the Silverlight version, and the HTML version has "very limited capability"

Hth,

Simon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Agreed. SAP must be putting effort in improving the HTML version considerably since Microsoft is dropping Silverlight. As Peter Spielvogel wrote, we'll probably hear more about it after this week's SAPPHIRE.

Former Member
0 Kudos

A "Lab Preview" of the next version of Personas is being demoed in several sessions at Sapphire this week. This version is HTML-based (no Silverlight required) but with broadly the same functionality as the current Silverlight version. Of course, no promises are yet being made about the availability of this version, but "before the end of this year" was mentioned as an aspiration.

There will be an automated migration process for converting flavours in the current version to flavours in the new one. Whether that is a complete conversion or will require manual work also is yet to be seen. It may vary depending on the flavour.

So, starting to work now in Personas v1 will not result in lots of wasted work, and while the technical details of how you build flavours will change in future, the higher level principles of a Personas project will not. Anything you learn about where/when to use Personas v1 will apply equally to v3. If you think Personas might be of use to you, I would certainly start looking at it now and not wait until the new version is released. You just might want to hold off on building anything very complex.

Oh, and by the way, make sure you read this news -

Steve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's great news Steve, Thanks for sharing. In the lab preview, how do the admin/developer tools look like? Are they the same or have they been rewritten, maybe in SAPUI5?

Former Member
0 Kudos

The demos so far have only been brief, but both are new. The developer tools look very nice. I think we'll see more over the next couple of days. If the SAP guys don't do it, ill write a blog when I get back, summarising what was shown. Maybe that's a job for the flight home!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, has anyone seen or is aware of any pre-built Personas around MM01?  Thanks for letting me know!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Now that Personas supports flavour export/import (as of Personas 1 SP04/Personas 2 SP02) the idea of creating some kind of flavour library makes sense. Up until now, it hasn't been so easy.

I don't know if SAP are considering such a thing but maybe we could start sharing amongst ourselves anyway? I've not investigated the functionality of the wiki here on SCN, but if it allows file uploads, maybe it would do as a start? I'll talk to folks here and see if we can get something set up...

Personally I don't have any MM01 flavours, sorry.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nice idea Steve, it would be cool to be able to share flavours, it would benefit everyone I think. Of course there might also be a flavour marketplace .

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member186078
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs. Appreciate everyone for taking time to address my concern. Overall, the new strategy of having Personas on HTML platform would definitely help and also Steve said, SAP's announcement with regards to licenses will definitely give encouragement and attract the customers to leverage this feature usage to a maximum extent.