cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server very slow

Former Member
0 Kudos

i have a new sap bw Server.

There are only 5 people connecting to the server and the response from the server is very slow. Pls tell me whether executing the SGEN Tcode will solve the issue

Also tell me what all i can do from BASIS perspective to increase the speed of the system

I am aware of that it depends on network and the type of machine.

But the network is high speed LAN and the machine is a server type machine with 8 processors

Please help me in this

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

SGEN only solve your problem if you have applied the patches to the system, but the transaction first time will slow but next time there should not be any problem (Withtout running SGEN). Could you please check your CPU utilization, top cpu process. Could you pl also update us your system configueation, OS/DB R3 version etc.

Cheers,

-Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

The OS is Windows 2003 Server.

DB Microsoft SQL Database Version 8.

Former Member
0 Kudos

output from SM50, CPU utilization?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not getting ur question.

Pls explain in detail

Former Member
0 Kudos

Login to R/3 and proivde output from TCODE SM50,

ST06 --> detailed analysis menu --> CPU.

Former Member
0 Kudos

ST06

CPU utilisation USer: 21

system:2

idle:76

count:16

memory available: 4168424

commit charge limit: 172023524

Maximum swap space: 239521792

Pls let me know is this information Sufficient

Former Member
0 Kudos

also output from ST03n, ST02

Former Member
0 Kudos

There can be too many things culprit of this problem:

1) Check if the database is set in auto extend mode or not. If its not set to this mode then you need to check the table spaces in SAP to see if you need to add the datafiles to it.

2) Check the drive space on your server. If the drive space is too low then you will have this problem.

3) Check on the server if there is any unnecessary service thats running and taking CPU resources.

4) Check in transaction st04 the detail analysis and see the wait times. The IO per path and IP per file. This will tell you how much your paths are busy. If all the DB, redo and archive logs are using the same disk controller then this may be the issue as well.

5) Check in sm51 the process and SQL queries users are executing. Get the execution plan using st05 and see if they are doing the sequential read or write to a database. This can bring your DB down.

Please check and let us know.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Data base is set to autoextend mode

new Server of 200 Gb Free space

no Unnecessary services rnnitg

Output of st05

CPU s used: 16 out of 16

Hit ratio: 98%

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Balaji,

1.Long processing times may be caused by a number of elements such as resource-consuming tasks running on the appServer, deadlocks on the SQL server, or other situations involving multiple users performing tasks at the same time in the system. In this case, it is recommended to restart the appServers. If immediately after restarting the appServers the performance problems have not been resolved then it would be appropriate to restart the SQL Server.

2. Check no. of available dialog work process & back ground work process in SM50.

3. Propose users to schedule there data loads in background.Because dialog work processes have some default time out set. When it exceeds maximum permitted run time then it terminates with the run time error. Increase rdisp/max_wprun_time parameter value.

4. Check the file system fill level ex: /usr/sap/trans

5. In ST03N check DBtime, CPUtime, GUItime, wait time. Make sure optimizer statistics are up to date.

Have a great day!

Ravi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are the users complaining of excessive compiling taking place, i.e. when the user calls a transaction are multiple compilings taking place in the lower left corner of their GUI? If so, then you definitely do need to run SGEN.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Balaji,

Performance is a vast topic and your first step to solve performance issue is to check the values in transaction ST03N (Workload Analysis). Second step is to identify the real problem creator.

Another clus to solve the performance issue is to find if all the users are complaining about the performance issue (or) only that particular user.

Regards,

Mathan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are only 2 users as of now. and all the users are complaining me regarding this