cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java in Database

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is a case wherein we embedded the Client Program written in Java Swings inside the DB and invoke the main class. The problem is that even if it is invoked from the client machine, the relevant forms and all open up in the server machine. We would like to know how the same can be invoke locally on the client machine, thereby creating the JVM locally on the client machine and loading the relevant forms on the client machine.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

All great ideas, but unfortunately those would require technology not available.

Launching a JVM on the client machine would need to be a function of an application already be running on the client side. DBIsql does not perform that action for you and it is not clear what client program you might have envisioned that would need to do this function.  Once you can arrange to have a JVM running you would then need to have/add logic to access the classes/jars as serialized data and launch those on the client side JVM.

That might even need a modified JVM to accomplish.

Needless to say this is not the way most customers would use this feature.

The Java in the database feature allows you to re-use Java components where it makes sense but it is not a full 3-tier enviroment.  Classes that perform GUI functions rarely make sense to be run this way. Abstracting the parts that do the business logic and data access into separate classes would produce the kind of objects might be used in this Java environment.

Many applications forgo the monolithic Java program approach and switch to a Web Client model and partion the applicaiton to run the application logic components in a J2EE server like JBoss or Apache+Tomcat enviornment.  Others have gone the Citrix or some flavour of J2EE server, in the middle tier.  I don't know if either of those more closely match your purposes.  Of course, the database and some java classes will typically operate behind those approaches as well.

HTH

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm suggesting the various JVMs into one for distributed computing ..where the definition/business logic is retrieved from the DBEngine and executed on the multiple JVMs..

i.e. like enhancing java_vm_options .. to accomodate multiple JVMs..

Answers (0)