Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Char value for ' ' or DUMMY

former_member764313
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, I have the following issue.

I'm filling the fields of organization levels, and i ran to a specific field that is 2 characters defined. For that org. level I need to set a value of ' ' (single quote, space, single quote), but the problem is that I can only input up to 2 characters, which will only get '  (single quote, space)

Is there any way to find a one char or two char value that does the same job? Or is there any way to bypass the 2 char input limitation?

Thanks in advance.

I'll appreciate any help you could give me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

That is a program error. You must correct the program which is checking the SPACE - there is no other alternative.

If it is in SAP standard, you must report it to SAP.

Julius

9 REPLIES 9

Former Member
0 Kudos

That is a program error. You must correct the program which is checking the SPACE - there is no other alternative.

If it is in SAP standard, you must report it to SAP.

Julius

0 Kudos

Actually kept Googling and I found a page where a user said that in 1 char fields it was correct to use just a single quote ('), in 2 char fields must use two single quotes ('') and in fields that accepts 3 or more characters it was good to use single quote, space, single quote (' ').

At this time I made the input and the semaphore for that authorization object went green... so  I'm expecting that has fixed the issue.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Good luck with your expectations.

I can assure you that it is a program error with incorrect field typing for a DUMMY check or passing a hardcoded SPACE to the field. It is wrong. You must correct the program and not battle with the authorization field.

What is the name of the object? Which program is the check in?

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

How old was the post? There was a time when SAP were reluctant to fix problems with incorrect dummy checks and we had to use workarounds.  Anecdotally it appears that major improvements were bundled in ECC5 and upwards.

0 Kudos

Unfortunately we can't correct any program error... it's just not suitable.

As I have spoken with the "man in charge", he told me that for that specific objects we need to fill, is not important what we put in there.

Anyway, thank you for your answers, I've learnt a lot with this!

0 Kudos

You must correct the program error, otherwise it will drive you crazy...

It is also not allowed by SAP's developer standards, so you can tell them that and show them this thread.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Dear Juan,

I second Julius statement. Not only will that fix the issue for all SAP customers, it also educates developers and consultant not to do it again. I am currently facing the sae discussion with a SAP consultant and support.

Even if it seems like an easy solution, it is not (in the long run).

greetings

Alexander Walkenhorst

Former Member
0 Kudos

As others indicated, this is a program error and happens quite often when the program is incorrectly developed. The program performs a check on say the plant but due to the program logic and the scenario, a blank plant values is passed for the check. in this case the AUTHORITY-CHECK code should have a validation check on if the plant value is blank or an actual value.

If the value is blank, it should trigger either a bypass of checking for the authorisation or better a check on DUMMY, this is a standard value in SAP which means any value will pass. so in the later, it can still check for the activity portion of the authorisation and pass the plant.

Sometimes security are forced to maintain a blank value such a space, this is very bad as it can cause data errors as the program will save the blank value to the table where it is intended to have a value.

hope this help,

John.

0 Kudos

Exactly. It is a mistake which can easily happen, but it must be corrected in the program and not the authorizations.

Only S_TABU_CLI has a fixed value in the domain range which is exactly ' ' and even that was in hindsight a rather silly choice which wasn't really necessary.

Cheers,

Julius