Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection loss SUM GUI to SL Controller

nthsol
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I am experiencing an issue that I need to resolve. It is that I lose the connection from SUM GUI (locally) to the SL Controller running on the remote server.

Currently I am doing an upgrade and after some time, e.g. when I have an error and don't notice it immediately, I get a warning message.

"The connection to the SL Controller is down.
The SDT GUI will reestablish the connection, when possible."

On the server I get the following error message:

May 26, 2014 7:49:47 AM [Error]: com.sap.sdt.engine.core.communication.FactoryAlreadyRegisteredException: Factory for key 'com.sap.sdt.engine.core.com
munication.FactoryKey@13c2c5f4' is already registered.

May 26, 2014 7:49:47 AM [Error]: com.sap.sdt.engine.core.communication.FactoryAlreadyRegisteredException: Factory for key 'com.sap.sdt.engine.core.com
munication.FactoryKey@13c2c5f4' is already registered.

May 26, 2014 7:49:47 AM [Error]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.ServerException
May 26, 2014 7:49:51 AM [Warning]: Connection has been shutdown: javax.net.ssl.SSLException: java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
May 26, 2014 7:49:51 AM [Warning]: Error while closing connection.
May 26, 2014 7:49:51 AM [Error]: com.sap.sdt.engine.core.communication.SendException: Error while sending data.
Network input/output exception has occurred: Connection has been shutdown: javax.net.ssl.SSLException: java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Connection has been shutdown: javax.net.ssl.SSLException: java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Connection has been shutdown: javax.net.ssl.SSLException: java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
javax.net.ssl.SSLException: java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe

May 26, 2014 7:49:51 AM [Error]: com.sap.sdt.engine.core.communication.SendException: Error while sending data.
Network input/output exception has occurred: Connection has been shutdown: javax.net.ssl.SSLException: java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
javax.net.ssl.SSLException: java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe

My current assumption is that the firewall drops the connection due to inactivity.

The main issue then is:

although I restart my local SUM GUI and reconnect to the server I can't continue the upgrade because the Buttons are "unclickable" (grey).

Currently I always had to restart SUM including the services on ther server (SL controller).

My question is:

1. what can I do to avoid this connection loss?
  2. Is there a option to set a "keep alive" to the network connection?
    so that the firewall does not validate the connection as idle and drops?

Unfortunately we can't do much about the firewall settings due to security restrictions.

I would be glad to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Niklas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yesterday had the exact same problem using SUM10SP10_5-20006540.SAR when my VPN connection dropped.

Since I don't have too much time to check the root cause and I got the error at the beginning of the upgrade, I downloaded SUM10SP10_7-20006540.SAR and restarted the upgrade process from scratch.

Hope it was related to patch level 5... although there's no related entry in the changelog...

Regards,
David

nthsol
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi David,

thanks for the hint. I'll try the newest SUM Version on the next system.

Currently I can't change the SUM version because I would need to start from scratch.

I'll give a feedback as soon as I have any news.

Regards,

Niklas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Niklas,

I have the same issue in my current upgrade.

Did you find any soltuoin or workaround ?

Thanks

Regards

Mathias

nthsol
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mathias,

I got an answer from SAP. There is no option that can be executed with STARTUP to solve this.

I already proposed to forward this request to the dev team at SAP

What I am currently doing is:

Start the GUI and keep it open only if I know if there is are Actions coming next, otherwise I close it (only the GUI) and when some time has passed by I logon again to check.

This is a really bad solution, but currently the only one.

Regards,

Niklas

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Boris_Rubarth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Niklas,

can you please specify which SUM SP and patch level you are using?

Thanks, Boris

nthsol
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Boris,

the unpacked filename is SUM10SP10_5-....SAR.

The GUI states: "Software Update Manager Version: 1.0 - Support Package Version: 10 - Patch Level: 5"

Regards,

Niklas

Boris_Rubarth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Niklas,

thanks for the version.

Sorry to say that I do not have any hint how to avoid the connection loss.

And concerning the problem of inactive buttons after the reconnect: this was a bug long time ago, and it was hard to reproduce the case. I am not aware of anyone else reporting this behavior these days - all I can advise is that you open an incident so that dev colleagues can check.

Regards, Boris

nthsol
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Boris,

thanks for your assistance. I will create a message and report the answer as soon as I get one.

I have been looking for a list of options that can be called together witch STARTUP but the only things I found are.

• STARTUP javaonly
  • STARTUP hostname=<hostname>
  • STARTUP "commands for ports"

Regards,

Niklas