cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filtering data in data/complex table before showing it under dropdown in Syclo Agentry applications

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

I wish to import the data present in a table in ECC and store it in a data/complex table.

The data in this table would look like as follows:

Field1                                   Field2

Characteristic1                    value1

Characteristic1                    Value2

Characteristic1                    Value3

Characteristic2                    Value4

Characteristic2                    Value5

Now, I have to pick up the data from this table and o display the data in a dropdown.

Before I display the data in dropdown, I wish to filter this table so that at any given time, It only displays the data for a particular characteristic.

So, if a text box in my screen has "Characteristic1" set in it, the dropdown below should display following entries:

Value1

Value2

Value3

My question is, is it possible to filter the data table dynamically so that the dropdown values can be adjusted?

as I understand, dropdown fields can ONLY be populated using a data table or a complex table. Is this correct?

Can I use Java side code to manipulate the entries in data/complex table?

What would be the best approach to fulfill this requirement?

Really appreciate your help on this.

Best,

Arihant Kothari

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Arihant,

This is the classic example of a parent / child filtering relationship in the complex table.  You have your Complex table structured perfectly already to fit this use case.  This is best done on in the Agentry application and will work exactly as you describe assuming you have the necessary indexes setup.

In your complex table you will want to create two indexes.

1. An index on Field1 (your parent).  I'll call it Field1Idx (you can call it anything you want)
  2. An index on Field2 with a Parent index selection of Field1Idx.  I'll call it Field2byField1Idx (the convention is to name it so it indicates what the parent is)

Now on your screen you have your text box field and your drop down field.  In the properties of your Complex Table Drop Down you will specify:

• Table Index: Field2byField1Idx
  • Cascade Parent: text box (select your text box field from the screen.  Can also be set by a rule)
  • Display Field: probably Field2 or the description for field two if a code value
  • Return Field: Field2

Now the complex table drop down will use the value in the text box as a filter to show only those records from the Field2byField1Idx index where the parent value matches the value from your text box field.

Good Luck!

--Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Bill,

Thank you so much for providing your suggestion to this issues.

Also, In my case, I have an object which contains the collection data. Can I use this object to insert the data in my complex table? I am unable to use a separate bapi wrapper to populate the complex table in this case.

So, shall I be able to make use of existing objects to populate my complex table?

Thanks,

Arihant

Answers (0)