cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to prevent VM from entering PRIVATE mode?

stefanohlemeyer
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'm experiencing problems with VMs quite for a while that enter the PRIVATE mode. The real issue behind this is that the VM in private mode (and user session) is being resetted after the session has been idle for some time (now 300s). That leads to nasty exceptions on the UI. Now I'm trying to find the right system properties to prevent the VMs from entering PRIVATE mode. I think it must have something to do with the memory settings.

Overall we have nine single configurations running. Here's an overview over our largest configuration KB (with this one I can reproduce the PRIVATE mode):

Classes                          37

Materials                      2159

Variant Tables                   34

Variant Table Rows            14195

Variant Table Cells          265870

Variant Functions                 0

Knowledge Base Profiles           1

Bill of Material Items         4623

Characteristics                 161

User Interface Designs            0

Characteristic Groups (Tabs)      0

Characteristic Domain Values   3846

Local Cstic Domain Values      7375

Value Descriptions             1592

Preconditions                     0

Selection Conditions           2297

Procedures                      416

Constraint Nets                  49

Constraints                     455

Classic Code Terms            77858

Cstr Code Terms               19354

Symbols                        3295

Long Texts                     1896

Documents                         0

1:1 Variant Conditions            0

Our current system properties are as followed:

vmcj/option/maxJavaHeap400M
vmcj/option/ps2048M
vmcj/option/gc/sharedGCPrecision1000n
vmcj/property/SESSION.MAX.SIZE30M
vmcj/max_vm_heap_MB64

Increasing vmcj/max_vm_heap_MB to 128 MB doesn't seem to solve it. Does anybody have a recommendation which further settings I can try?

Thanks for help!

Best regards

Stefan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Stefan,

The best way is to check and optimise you model. There is a very good till in VC that you can use to monitor and trace your model. Please review the following note for that tool.

1121318 - Analysis of the performance of dependency knowledge in VC

Also review note  917987 that has general performance recommendations on VC model.

Regards

Amber

stefanohlemeyer
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Amber,

thanks for your hints! I'll consider the notes for my further development. But aren't there any special settings I can use so far? The reports didn't show up too much, except a large variant table and its constraint.

I recently experimented with parameter rdisp/max_vm_priv_no which allows a certain number of VMs to be in private mode without starting the timeout after it has been idle. The logs in SM21 shows me that we have from time to time up to 5 VMs in private mode (and the timeout exceeds).

ThVmcCheckVmPool: max number of priv VMs exceeded (5 > 2, timeout), reset T69_U24100_M0/V4

Of course I can raise the parameter value to 5, but then another user comes... Increasing the timeout also doesn't seem to be a solution as our web shop allows to keep a session open as long as the browser window is opened.

And that led me to the memory settings. (see http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/de/2e/b06e3bd9ef4963934e45a4a0cd4214/content.htm)

Don't you think there is something I can try?

Best regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

You can try those settings , but those settings are more a general settings. They will give you more memory space and you will be able to process the program but for the long run especially when you have other programs running parallel this might wont work. but you can always try the settings. Sometime old configuration data cause slow runtimes too so that can improve your system too. If you have sales order that has configuration, but they are really old and not to be used anymore you can archive them as that will decrease the size of the configurable tables.

Regards

Amber

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

stefanohlemeyer
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Does anybody know which value for parameter vmcj/max_vm_heap_MB could be appropiate? Should I even increase to 256 MB or more?

I tried to find out on which border the VM starts to stay in private mode, but didn't find any hint. I used SM52 (VM -> Technical Information), but all I found out was the used Java heap size. Is my requested value even in there? Or anywhere else?

Many thanks for suggestions!

Stefan

rb
Active Participant