Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Provisioning queue growing

laurent_vandenbemden
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Guru's,

At the moment I am facing some issue with my provisioning queue which is growing on pending tasks to be executed.

I tried to find the job(s) that are "blocking" the proper working of the workflow but still not found them.

Is there any other way to find which one is blocking and how to make him push the pending entries thru?

Thanks by advance for your help,

Laurent

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

laurent_vandenbemden
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I have been reading the whole blog that has been written by Chris, blog seriesOn queue processing...

which is very helpfull to learn understand the provisioning structure in the different tables. A lot of things cleared up to me about the provisioning process.

However I still have my prov queue growing issue pending.

I have been checking the mxpv_provision queue which provided an "easy to understand" view of what is actually pending in this queue and probably blocking the well function of the provisioning.

As Steffi suggested I've been looking for entries that were failed or in error.

From what I can see none of them had a failed state (1101), the oldest entry of the queue has the provstate 0 which I tried to update to 1100 to force the provisioning the start but of course this didn't worked for my particular case .

Before updating the value I stopped the dispatcher and restarted it after the value update.

So this bring me of course to the question what would happen if I delete the pending/blocking entries of this queue.

Thanks a lot by advance,

Laurent

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oookay. So lets see. I have a "to do"-list for the problem "provisioning is not working".

I guess you checked the "Status"-overview in the management console to see, if a task/job there is showing the state "Error", correct? You can sort the list by clicking on the header for "State".

The second thing in my list is to check, of the connection string "Windows RT conn. string" in the Database-tab for the IDM-configuration has a problem. Just call it up and test the connection (there is a button for that) to see, if it can connect and if not, you may have found your problem. ^^

So, what next... we are on a SQL database, so the next step is to go to the SQL developer and check the following:

select * from mxp_provision where msg like 'Wait for%'
> checks for tasks, that wait for the successful state of other tasks. The MSG gives you an Auditid for the next sql-statement

Select * From Mxp_Audit Where Auditid=<auditid>
> MSG now shows information about the state (e.g. failed) and the reason and for which user and which assigment

update mxp_audit set provstatus=1100 where auditid = <auditid>
> This sets the blocking tasks to state "OK" and therefor the waiting task can finally start

There is a oracle procedure called "mc_verifyOrFix_ProvQueue" that should do the same (find waiting tasks and resolve the blockage), but I never really tested that one. ^^

And at last, if you don't find waiting tasks and still nothing is getting provisioned, it helped us to restart the IDM-database itself.

So that are the four steps, that have helped me so far. Chris (aka ) wrote a blog series, so you should check that, too, if my tips don't help. Well, you should check them either way!

Regards,

Steffi.

laurent_vandenbemden
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Steffi,

Thanks for this detailed actions, I'll give it a try but need to have the approval to use the SQL Developer tool in first instance. This is normally restricted to our BC/DB guys so it will probably not be that easy.

Anyway, thx again and I surely keep you posted 😉

Krz,

Laurent

laurent_vandenbemden
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Steffi,

So am now connected to the Oracle db via the SQL developer

I checked all the pending entries of the provision queue but none of them seems to be in failed state.

There are some of them in 0 and some in 1000 state, which seems ok to me (0=Initiated OK, 1000=Task OK)

I could not find the oracle procedure called "mc_verifyOrFix_ProvQueue".

Krz,

Laurent

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Laurent,

I guess it depends on your version of IdM, if that procedure is available. But as I said, the steps I mentioned do kind of the same thing.

As you did not find any failed tasks, did you re-start the database yet to see if that gets things going again? It helped a few times, when everything else failed for us.

Regards,

Steffi.

laurent_vandenbemden
Participant
0 Kudos

Hey Steffi,

We are currently on 7.2 SP9.

The db has been rebooted but the entries are still not triggering anything.

I have been reading the blog about queue processing but it is still not very clear to me how I can solve this issue.

Any other suggestion?

Thx by advance,

Laurent

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Laurent,

not from my side, sorry. I'd say, you should open an OSS-message to set that support-wheel going (I got the sql-statements from the IdM-support when I had a similar problem last year) and at the same time see, if one of the IdM-crowd here have any more ideas.

Regards,

Steffi.

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Steffi,

This should be written up as a blog or document!

Just sayin'

Matt

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Laurent,

when we have that problem and no job in the Status-overview can be found in error-state, it normally helps to re-start the dispatcher (that are meant to do the tasks) in the windows-service list to get the provisioning going again.

Regards,

Steffi

laurent_vandenbemden
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Steffi,

Thx for your prompt response.

I tried it already when the problem started but didn't changed anything and give it a second shot now but still unsuccessful.

What I noticed while testing the workflow this morning is that for requests I make now it seems to bypass the old entries, what is kind of weird as over the weekend the queue has grown.

Krz,

Laurent

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So the provisioning is working for new entries, but just not for the old?

laurent_vandenbemden
Participant
0 Kudos

Actually the entries that are in the queue are not processed even when I trigger the tasks with new entries.

I see then the new entries being add to the provision queue and being processed without taking the old ones in account.

normann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Laurent,

can you check the provstatus in mxp_audit table. Is it in state 21 (running)?

Regards

Norman

laurent_vandenbemden
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Norman,

Can you give me an indication how to check the table state?

Thx,

Laurent