cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERP 6 EHP4,BW 2004s and DMS/TREX Heterogeneous System Copy

0 Kudos

Good Afternoon,

This will be my first time doing any System Copy and i will be very gratefull with all the help you can give me on this matter.

I need to plan a execute the system copy of at least three systems on my company. The landscape comprises the following systems:

• SAP ERP 6 EHP4 (Business Suite) - Development, Test and Production Systems
    • Components: SAP ECC 6.0 (Non Unicode) - Kernel 721 Patch 132
    • Database: MSSQL 10.50.5200 (2008 R2 as far as i know)
    • Windows 2003 R2 SP1 (x64)

• SAP BW - Development and Production Systems
    • Components: SAP NetWeaver 2004s - Kernel 721 Patch 134
    • Database: MSSQL 10.50.5200 (2008 R2 as far as i know)
    • Windows 2003 R2 SP1 (x64)

• SAP DMS/TREX - Development, Test (in the same server as far as i understood) and Production System
    • First time ever i have contact with this system don't know much about it even it's concept
    • Components: ???
    • Database: My Information file says SAPDB 7.6 but as far as i know this should be MAXDB 7.6
    • Operating System: Windows 2003 R2 SP1 (x86)

The objective here is to migrate these systems to new servers in the datacenter infrastructure. The new operating systems will be Windows 2008 (don't know the versions yet), and new MSSQL versions.

So, this is a Heterogeneous system copy with the scenario of migrate to a different operating system, and a new database version. I'm checking in order to understand the process better.

For now, my idea is to use SAP tools to do this the following way:

1. Preparation (Includes reading docs and download software, if not already present, in source system and download software for the target system)
  2. Export the Database (DB-Independent)
  3. Transfer the DB "Dump" (Export) to new Server
  4. Install DB and SAP System with software in Target System
  5. Import the DB "Dump" (Export) to the System with SAP Tools
  6. Follow-Up Activities

So this is my idea from a Macro point of view of tasks.

1. Am i missing something here?
  2. Which tools are available for this kind of process and which ones you consider the best to use in each system copy, should i use Software Provisioning Manager 1.0 (i don't think i can use it for BW, nor DMS/TREX)?
  3. In this particular situation, how would you approach and execute this?

Those are my doubts for now, and all considerations you may have are very welcome. i'm sure more doubts will arise with more doc reading,and i'll keep posting.

All the answers with help will be rewarded of course.

Best Regards,

Pedro Gaspar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

0 Kudos

Hello again,

For now the planning is going well, right now i'm preparing a requirements list for the Microsoft OS team to prepare them for me.

I haven't talked much about the two DMS / TREX servers since i was concentrating on the others, but now i need to check them.

I've never seen a DMS / TREX server, i find a lot of docs but again... too much of too less. I even don't understand if the system runs on top of a Netweaver or not. As far as the excel file someone sent me says, they have a SAPDB 7.6 (MaxDB 7.6)...

Are they accessible by GUI Frontend? Or are they like a "services only" server?

There should be two systems:

• A DEV+PPR system and a PRD system and they're running on Windows 2003 R2 32 bit servers

1. Also and again, can you give me some points to watch out for, or documents to look at? Did you ever worked with any of those?
  2. Regarding the hostnames... We're going to maintain all the SIDs, but regarding the hostnames and/or ip addresses,what's the usual procedure on a case like this one?
  3. I was thinking in after the copy, using anh procedure to change the hostname of the machine. is it possible? And since this a homogeneous system copy, alot of follow-up activities (if i can change the hostnames) don't make sense to me, what will i need to change from the post-processing activities, and will stay the same?
  4. Regarding the kernels... How do i check if a kernel is a  EXT or not from GUI Fronted? Status view isn't clear to me...
  5. The actual kernel is 7.21 for (ERP and BW ) and 7.20 for Solution Manager. Should i upgrade the kernels in the source system for EXT kernel (if they're not already (that's why i've asked the question 3)? Or can i just install the target with those kernels?

Best Regards,

Pedro Gaspar

former_member217429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pedro,

what's the current TREX version and the OS version where this instance is  running currently? As I understand for the TREX you also suppose to change the platform - what should be the next one OS for TREX (Windows 2008 or 2012)? If you are on 32 bit windows 2003 now , you are using most likely TREX 70. In such case you can use the upgrade guide "Upgrade - TREX 7.0 to TREX 7.1" located on
https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000726182007E/TREX_01.htm

Best regards,
Mikhail

0 Kudos

Hello Mikhail,

Thank you from your reply.

what's the current TREX version and the OS version where this instance is  running currently?

Since i don't know how to get the information from the system, i'm basing my reply to you on a file which one of my colleagues sent me.

The file states the following systems:

• SAP DMS/TREX - Development + Pre Productive (this server has both systems)
    • Windows Server 2003 R2 32bit
    • MaxDB 7.6
    • DMS: CS 640 - TREX: 6.10 (this server have DMS and TREX installed at the same time)

• SAP DMS/TREX - Development + Pre Productive (this server has both systems)
    • Windows Server 2003 R2 32bit
    • MaxDB 7.6
    • DMS: CS 640 - TREX: 6.10 (this server have DMS and TREX installed at the same time)

As I understand for the TREX you also suppose to change the platform - what should be the next one OS for TREX (Windows 2008 or 2012)?

I can choose the system freely from both Windows 2008 or 2012, i should choose the one which would make the copy/migration smoother.

Best Regards,

Pedro Gaspar

Former Member
0 Kudos

I haven't talked much about the two DMS / TREX servers since i was concentrating on the others, but now i need to check them.

I've never seen a DMS / TREX server, i find a lot of docs but again... too much of too less. I even don't understand if the system runs on top of a Netweaver or not. As far as the excel file someone sent me says, they have a SAPDB 7.6 (MaxDB 7.6)...

Are they accessible by GUI Frontend? Or are they like a "services only" server?

There should be two systems:

• A DEV+PPR system and a PRD system and they're running on Windows 2003 R2 32 bit servers

1. Also and again, can you give me some points to watch out for, or documents to look at? Did you ever worked with any of those?
  2. Regarding the hostnames... We're going to maintain all the SIDs, but regarding the hostnames and/or ip addresses,what's the usual procedure on a case like this one?
  3. I was thinking in after the copy, using anh procedure to change the hostname of the machine. is it possible? And since this a homogeneous system copy, alot of follow-up activities (if i can change the hostnames) don't make sense to me, what will i need to change from the post-processing activities, and will stay the same?
  4. Regarding the kernels... How do i check if a kernel is a  EXT or not from GUI Fronted? Status view isn't clear to me...
  5. The actual kernel is 7.21 for (ERP and BW ) and 7.20 for Solution Manager. Should i upgrade the kernels in the source system for EXT kernel (if they're not already (that's why i've asked the question 3)? Or can i just install the target with those kernels?

To begin with, there are two separate servers using complete different technique.

DMS is installed as an add-on to Microsoft IIS and is started when the IIS is started.

It can be installed to use either File System storage or Database storage (SAPDB/MaxDB only).
The standard installation is with SAPDB/MaxDB and demands extra handling such as stop/start/backup.

TREX is a search engine (and partly the ancestor of SAP HANA) and a separate product.

1. Go to https://sap.service.com/instguides and select
SAP NetWeaver - SAP NetWeaver 7.4 - Installation

Under "Installation - Standalone Engines" you will find information about TREX.

For ContentServer (or SAPDB/MaxDB) you will need the EXACT patch level in both the source and target system. The software is found on the "NW 7.0 Presentation" DVD's (50120297 for NetWeaver 7.40).

2 . As Matt stated earlier. That's when the work starts.......
Referenses between system changes. Can't be described in a few lines here on SCN and it depends on your installation. Interfaces like printouts, EDI e t c are all effected by this.

3. It's NOT easy to change the hostname afterwards. Frankly, it the same as a new system copy...

4 . If EXT exists, always use that one.

5 . Just make sure to make a proper backup of the kernel-directory before.

Download the EXT version for both.

former_member217429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pedro,

sorry to say , but there is no options for migration from TREX 610:-( . It means that you need to install new TREX 710 instance on one of the supported platforms (64 bit Windows 2008 or 2012 or 64 bit SLES or RHEL)  and recreate the indexes from tc. SKPR07  in DMS. From the TREX perspective there is no difference between Win  2008 and 2012.

Best regards,
Mikhail

0 Kudos

Hello Tomas,

5 . Just make sure to make a proper backup of the kernel-directory before.

Download the EXT version for both.

This means i need to, in the first place, update the kernel on source system with 7.21 EXT the same i'm going to use to install the target system?

Thank you for your reply.

Regarding this:

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pedro,

1. Regarding the hostnames... We're going to maintain all the SIDs, but regarding the hostnames and/or ip addresses,what's the usual procedure on a case like this one?
  2. I was thinking in after the copy, using anh procedure to change the hostname of the machine. is it possible? And since this a homogeneous system copy, alot of follow-up activities (if i can change the hostnames) don't make sense to me, what will i need to change from the post-processing activities, and will stay the same?

With regard to changing hostnames, for the most part the system copy follow-up procedures will take care of the parts that need to happen internal to the newly copied system.  Most of this is making sure that hostname values in various profile parameters are correctly set.  After you've completed the copy and start the system for the first time, it will be started with default profiles like a newly installed system.  In transaction RZ10 you will want to do Utilities... Import Profiles... Of Active Servers.

This will make copies of the external profiles (stored as files in the \usr\sap\<SID>\SYS\profile folder) in the database.  Afterwards, you'll be able to see both the new profiles and the old profiles that came with the database copy from the source system.  You will eventually delete those old profiles, but you may want to copy some of the parameters into the new profiles.  It might be easier to print out lists of the parameter values from the source systems first as a reference.  Decide on each parameter on a case-by-case basis.

The harder part is locations where the hostname is referenced in RFC connections in other systems.  In any system that interfaces with the copied system, you will need to go into SM59 and edit the RFC connection to reference the correct hostname.  You'll also need to go into STMS on your transport domain controller (probably your DEV system) and update the TMS settings to reference the new hostname.

Then the hardest part is updating the SAP Logon connection entries of all your SAPGUI clients to reference the new hostname.  Depending on your SAPGUI landscape is setup, this may be easy (if you use a centrally managed saplogon.ini file), or very difficult (if you have to edit saplogon.ini entries individually on each and every workstation).  If you don't use a centrally managed saplogon.ini for your SAPGUI clients, this is a great time to push out a SAPGUI upgrade with some scripting to change this.

1. Regarding the kernels... How do i check if a kernel is a  EXT or not from GUI Fronted? Status view isn't clear to me...
  2. The actual kernel is 7.21 for (ERP and BW ) and 7.20 for Solution Manager. Should i upgrade the kernels in the source system for EXT kernel (if they're not already (that's why i've asked the question 3)? Or can i just install the target with those kernels?

You're right, it's not always obvious if you are using the EXT version of a kernel or not.  Not all of the usual places will tell you.  But there are a few ways.  From within SAPGUI, go to transaction SM50, highlight the system in question, and click Release Notes.

The result will tell you the kernel version and patch level of the disp+work.exe executable, which should match the kernel as a whole.  This place will include whether it is EXT or not.

Note that this does not tell you the OS or DBMS version.  This system I'm looking at, for instance, is running on SQL Server 2012, which is SQL_Server_11.xx, not 9.xx, and on Windows Server 2012 R2, which is not NT 6.0.  This is just stating what OS/DBMS releases the kernel executables were compiled in back at SAP.

There are other methods as well, not all of which require a SAPGUI login.  A great one is via the SAPMMC.  has a great blog on this at .

Regards,

Matt

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I can't speak to the DMS/TREX systems, but for the ABAP systems, it's not usually necessary to update the kernel on the source system prior to the copy.  It doesn't hurt, but you don't have to do it.  You can copy directly into a system with an updated kernel.  The exception would be if it's a major kernel change (such as 7.00 to 7.20), but a minor update (7.20 to 7.21, or either to 7.21-EXT) doesn't need much special done beyond replacing the kernel when the system is down.  The target system can come up on the updated kernel immediately, so it's not a problem.  You will see a lot of compiling of ABAP programs, but that's normal after a big kernel update.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is true that you don't need to change the kernel in the source system if you are performing the system copy with db specific method.

If you are performing the copy using the export/import (system copy or unicode conversion) method you need to change the kernel at the source system before the export.

0 Kudos

Good Morning,

Tank you to both for your answers.

Just to make sure i understood correctly...

My Scenario:

1. ECC 6 EHP4 on NW 7.0 EHP1 - Windows 2003 R2, MS SQL 2008 R2
  2. SAP BI 7.0 on SAP NW 7.0 (2004s) - Windows 2003 R2, MS SQL 2008 R2
    • Components:
      • SAP_BASIS - Release 700 - SP Level 0020
      • SAP_BW - Release 700 - SP Level 0022 - SAP Netweaver BI 7.0
      • BI_CONT - Release 703 - SP Level 0015 - Business Intelligence Content
  3. SAP Solution Manager on SAP on NW 7.0 EHP2 - Windows 2008, R2, MaxDB 7.9
  4. SAP DMS/TREX  - Windows 2008
    • DMS: CS 640 - TREX: 6.10

These systems need to be copied to new hardware, new servers with Windows 2008 R2 or Windows 2012 (Except Solution Manager which is already in Windows 2008, this one i think will be a copy of the machine) and databases with MS SQL Server 2008 or 2012. They should maintain everything else as is regarding the SAP system.

So, the plan is to do a Homogeneous System Copy using database specific method.

With everything you told me, what i now understand is that i should install the target systems using database specific method with the same EHPs from the source (we do not want a upgrade) and this will create a "empty system" and i shouldn't worry about the SP level, since it's the database copy that will guarantee the same level of SPs.

Am i right in my compreension of this matter?

Best Regards,

Pedro Gaspar

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

If you restore the database from the source system to the target system then the SAP system will be on the same SP/EHP/NetWeaver level.

It is very simple. Start the Homogeneous System Copy using SWPM on the target machine and check the box "Use Database Specific Tools". This will let you restore the database backup from the source system.

Regards

RB

0 Kudos

Thanks Reagan,

I'll start doing all the preparations. I'm not closing this discussion since i may have another questions to ask.

I want to thank you again for all the comments an all the help in guiding me on this. Also want to thanks to everyone who's contributing to this disccusion, and as a consequence, helping me.

Thank you Reagan, Thank you all.

Best Regards,

Pedro Gaspar

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, I think you've got it right now.  You have discussed both a system copy and an upgrade here, and those are two different activities.  One can follow right on the heels of the other, but they don't happen simultaneously.  So, during the homogeneous system copy, you will be maintaining the same EhP and SP level.

However, during the system copy you can switch from 32-bit to 64-bit, you can update to a higher (supported) kernel version and/or patch level, and you can switch to a higher release of the OS and DBMS, as long as they are the same OS/DBMS family (since you're going homogeneous).

In other words, you can indeed copy to systems that are on Windows Server 2012 R2 and SQL Server 2012, both 64-bit.  Moving to Windows 2012 R2 has some extra kernel version requirements, but basically if you use the 721-EXT kernel, you will be meeting those.  SQL Server 2012 has a minimum Basis SP level, so you will need to check that you have that in your system already.  If you don't, it's not the end of the world -- you can go ahead and do the system copy, but you must plan to apply at least the minimum Basis SP for SQL 2012 right after the copy.  The Notes where you find that minimum SP level are in the group that Reagan referenced earlier, so you likely have already read them.

Likewise, switching to 64-bit is essentially done by using a 64-bit kernel on a 64-bit OS and DBMS.  The latest kernels, and the latest Windows and SQL Server releases, are only 64-bit anyway, so this is going to happen.  There is nothing you need to do in terms of support packs for this, but afterwards you will probably want to adjust some memory management profile parameters so you can take better advantage of the 64-bit architecture.

Migrating to new hardware is the perfect opportunity to make that 64-bit switch, and to move to a higher release of the OS and DBMS (which will, incidentally, have a longer support horizon, so that's another key advantage).

I am in the middle of a whole landscape migration similar to yours myself here, at the moment.  Our old hardware is about to go off vendor support, so we are migrating to new machines, and at the same time from Windows 2003/SQL 2005 to Windows 2012R2/SQL 2012.  We made the switch to 64-bit some years ago, at the previous hardware upgrade, though we still have a couple of instances on 32-bit which will finally go to 64-bit now (ADS, which at the previous upgrade was then only supported on 32-bit, a restriction which is no longer true).  We are additionally taking this opportunity to bring our server and instance naming conventions in line with newer standards, and this is actually the trickier part of the whole operation, reconfiguring everything to use new names.

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Matt

0 Kudos

Hello Again,

Another doubt...

If my source system is SAP ECC 6.0 EHP4 on SAP Netweaver 7.01 EHP1, what EHPs should i install on target system? For example, should i install SAP ECC EHP6 (i don't think i can install EHP7 since my kernel is 7.21)? What kind of impact on business this may bring?

Best Regards,

Pedro Gaspar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Generally, you should upgrade to the latest EHP available.

You are using "SUM" to upgrade the system and it will switch to a new kernel during the downtime process. Programs like tp, R3trans, R3load,  R3ldctl etc need to be at the highest available patchlevel of your source kernel (7.21 in your case).

In order to upgrade to EHPx you need to read the upgrade guidelines together with the important SAP Notes.

The upgrade consists of the parts:

1 - Things done with the source system up and running.

2 - Downtime.

3 - Post-processing with the target system up and running.

When running the upgrade in development and test-environment, one of the most important things is to get the downtime so you can plan the upgrade for the production system.

There will, of course, be object which both SAP and you has changed (so-called SPAU-list) which need to be taken care of before production upgrade.

Can't really write the whole upgrade guide here, but note that SAP Basis skills are important here.

0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply Tomas.

This is regarding a system copy, and to be honest as you can see by the post i'm trying to learn a lot of concepts in a short time.

I'm planning a homogeneous system copy of several systems using database specific method (MSSQL). So, i'm thinking in do a fresh installation in target system, so i was thinking in installing exactly the same EHP as in the source system.

In the documentation i'm reading from SAP Help, two more doubts arise regarding this matter:

1. How do i check the SP stack Level of my EHP4 ERP 6.0? I'm asking that because i think that if i'm going to install a new target system, the EHP SP Stack Level should be the same, right? Or the available EHP Stack Level for download is the higher one and no problem in that?
  2. Another thing... I need to do a ERP 6.0 installation and then the EHP delta installation? Isn't that automated???

Best Regards,

Pedro Gaspar

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

If my source system is SAP ECC 6.0 EHP4 on SAP Netweaver 7.01 EHP1, what EHPs should i install on target system? For example, should i install SAP ECC EHP6 (i don't think i can install EHP7 since my kernel is 7.21)? What kind of impact on business this may bring?

You can go to the latest EHP which is EHP7 provided you have the supported OS and DB for the target EHP implementation.

How do i check the SP stack Level of my EHP4 ERP 6.0?

Tx SPAM - Package Level

Eg:

Component Release SP-Level

SAP_APPL 605 0006

EA-APPL 605 0006

This means the system is EHP5 with SP level 6.

I'm asking that because i think that if i'm going to install a new target system, the EHP SP Stack Level should be the same, right? Or the available EHP Stack Level for download is the higher one and no problem in that?

When you install an SAP system only the central components will be on the target level. In order to get the system on the desired EHP level you will need to create a stack file and download all the patches and kernel files and start the update using the SUM tool.

Another thing... I need to do a ERP 6.0 installation and then the EHP delta installation? Isn't that automated???

Question to you:

Do you want to upgrade an existing system to the latest EHP which is EHP7 or do you want to install a brand new system with the latest EHP ?

If you want to upgrade an existing system and if the source system is SAP ERP 6 EHP4 and you want to update this system to EHP7 you need to setup with a supported OS and DB and then start the update. It is not an automated process. There is a lot of manual activities done during an update/upgrade process. You need to read the upgrade guide and prepare to start the upgrade. Once you have all the elements in place then start the upgrade.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can install the new system directly with the system copy method.

Thus, there is no need to install EHP and then patch it.

Even if you would like to install an "empty" system, there is no need to patch it since all the components will be on the correct level after the system copy (it's all in the db).

Reagan answered the rest 🙂

0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

Guys... Just to be sure...

• If some of my base components in ERP are Release 7.01 means it's SAP Netweaver 7.0 EHP1
  • And if business components are Release 6.04 means it's EHP4 for ERP6

Am i right?

Best Regards,

Pedro Gaspar

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's correct

0 Kudos

Good Morning,

First of all, i thank you for your answers.

Two more questions that arise:

1. When i check the Kernel using System -> Status i see that the kernel release is 721 patch 132. With this in mind, when getting the media for the installation of the target system, i should get the SAP KERNEL 7.21 EXT 64-BIT (our system is non-unicode) correct?
    2. When i check the PAM i see that the SAP ERP 6 EHP4 is available for Microsoft Windows 2012 R2 /X86_64 + Microsoft SQL Server 2012/X86_64 and with that, i'm thinking in instead of Windows Server 2008 + SQL Server 2008, i install the new systems in W2012 + SQL2012. What big differences are in the procedures from one to another? And documentation? What do you advise in this case?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Pedro Gaspar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

1) Kernel Verision you can go with higher as well , Make sure to sync kernel level in complete landscape therafter , its good to have latest.

2) It wont make any differnce in procedure when you are using export/import method , Its all OS/DB platform independent , Advice is to go with latest.

Regards,

Gagan

0 Kudos

Hello Gagan,

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding the Kernel,ok

Regarding the procedure, as Reagan Benjamin stated (and i was mistaken) this is about a Homogeneous System Copy.

That means, if go for Windows 2008 + SQL Server 2008 i stick with the documentation Reagan already gave me, if going to Windows 2012 + SQL Server 2012 new documentation is necessary. My concerns are if going to Windows 2012 + SQL Server 2012, and since the gap between new OS and DB are greater, the probabilty of having more problems, and the procedure to be less swift, are also greater...

Best Regards,

Pedro Gaspar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are you referring to SAP Notes , here it is

1780433 - System copy of SAP systems on Windows 2012 : SQL Server

Regards,

Gagan

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
When i check the Kernel using System -> Status i see that the kernel release is 721 patch 132. With this in mind, when getting the media for the installation of the target system, i should get the SAP KERNEL 7.21 EXT 64-BIT (our system is non-unicode) correct?

You can use the latest (compatible) kernel for the target system.

When i check the PAM i see that the SAP ERP 6 EHP4 is available for Microsoft Windows 2012 R2 /X86_64 + Microsoft SQL Server 2012/X86_64 and with that, i'm thinking in instead of Windows Server 2008 + SQL Server 2008, i install the new systems in W2012 + SQL2012. What big differences are in the procedures from one to another? And documentation? What do you advise in this case?

If the source system is supported with MSSQL 2012 and Windows 2012 then you can go for that. In order to set up systems on MSSQL 2012 you should first check whether the systems have the required minimum SP level for the BASIS and other components.

Check these SAP notes.

1651862 - Release planning for Microsoft SQL Server 2012

1676665 - Setting up Microsoft SQL Server 2012

1732161 - SAP Systems on Windows Server 2012 (R2)

Regards

RB

0 Kudos

Thanks Reagan,

Your answers (and all who's replying) and my personal search are teaching me a lot these days. Now i understand the whole concept of SAP Netweaver as a platform for SAP Applications to run and how to separate the waters

Maybe you can help me on more questions i have:

Regarding our BW system, (Netweaver 7.0) i've found out that

• the kernel is Kernel 721 (compilation NT 6.0 6002 S x86 MS VC++ 16.00 Sep  3 2013 0) UNICODE which indicates me that this is a 32 bit version with Patch 134
  • When i check DB02 it states that SQL version is 10.50.2500.0 SP1 NT x64 (Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2)
  • BW components is SAP_BW - 700 - 0022 - SAPKW70022 - SAP NetWeaver BI 7.0

1. When i install the SAP system, does BW installs automatically, i mean... Is SAP_BW a default component from a SAP Installation (it looks like that since in all systems we have SAP_BW Component exists)?
  2. In this case a SAP BW (BI) installation is a SAP Netweaver (ABAP Instance) installation only?
  3. When i'm searching the PAM in Marketplace, i can't find a KERNEL 721 32 bit UNICODE version for Windows 2003 R2 + MSSQL Server 2008 R2. Now i need to copy this but i'm not sure which target should i define... Can i for example install a KERNEL 721 64 bit UNICODE + Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 + MSSQL Server 2008 x86_64 and restore the backup of the current server on the new server without problems? I'm a bit confused here...

Well, that's all for now.

Best Regards,

Pedro Gaspar

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

When i install the SAP system, does BW installs automatically, i mean... Is SAP_BW a default component from a SAP Installation (it looks like that since in all systems we have SAP_BW Component exists)?

No. The installer (SWPM) will provide different installation options like SCM, ERP, CRM etc. The BW usage type or components will be installed or deployed based on what installation you have selected.

Read this SAP note to know more about the SWPM and the one to be used for the installation.

1680045 - Release Note for Software Provisioning Manager 1.0 SP05

In this case a SAP BW (BI) installation is a SAP Netweaver (ABAP Instance) installation only?

As dual stacks are no longer supported, a BI system can also have a separate Java stack with BI usage types connected to the ABAP stack.

When i'm searching the PAM in Marketplace, i can't find a KERNEL 721 32 bit UNICODE version for Windows 2003 R2 + MSSQL Server 2008 R2. Now i need to copy this but i'm not sure which target should i define... Can i for example install a KERNEL 721 64 bit UNICODE + Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 + MSSQL Server 2008 x86_64 and restore the backup of the current server on the new server without problems? I'm a bit confused here...

Connect to the system as sidadm, open a command prompt and execute disp+work -V

You will be able to see whether the kernel is 32 bit or 64 bit

Regards

RB

0 Kudos

Thanks Reagan,

I don't have sysadmin access to the server, i need to ask for someone to validate that.

The Homogeneous System copy should be done with export-import method, or can it be done using database tools? Is there any step-by-step for both methods? I'm finding hard to find the information... I need to plan all this with times and i need to understand how each process works, since several teams must be coordinated (network, systems administration...).

If i'm not sure of how the process will be, i can't plan much...

Again, thank you.

Best Regards,

Pedro Gaspar

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Which means, since you're going to do a homogeneous system copy instead of heterogeneous, you can use the SQL Server specific attach/detach or backup/restore method, which is faster, easier, and less error-prone.  Good news!