cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sort sequence functionality in Batch management

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a doubt in batch management. I am not sure whether it is a basic doubt. But obviously confusing me a lot and I am not able to find appropriate for that.

In our company, we have two characteristics assigned to the batch class 023. Shelf life expiration date (LOBM_VFDAT) and Manufacturing date (LOBM_HSDAT).

Our Sort sequence is FIFO.

Please find the following example given below.

Material     GR date           SLED               Manufacturing date          Batch

M1              21.05.2014     21.06.2014        21.05.2014                      0001

M1              22.05.2014     22.06.2014        20.05.2014                      0002

As per the above example, when SLED (LOBM_VFDAT) is concerned, batch 0001 will get selected, when Manufacturing date (LOBM_HSDAT) is concerned, batch 0002 will get selected.

But which particular batch will be copied into the outbound delivery. I am confused how system can sort out based on multiple characteristics.

Could someone please exlplain the logic behind this.

Regards,

Raja Durai

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SCN Moderators,

I am not getting proper response for this thread.

Could you please transfer this thread to any other place if something specific to batch management.

Regards,

Raja Durai

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you provide screenshot of

item - batch split - strategy analysis button .

as indicated by Anita bharath?

Thanks, JP

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not allowed to provide screenshot here in our company.

If any specific information required to be give, I can check and give the same.

Regards,

Raja Durai

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you share the key combination for your Strategy type which getting determined?

Thanks, JP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Plant / Shipping point is the strategy type combination.

Please find the strategic info screenshot below.

Please let me know if any other information required.

Regards,

Raja Durai

Message was edited by: Durai Raja

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I assume in your system

Ascending = TO

Descending = From

But, strange to see no material in key combination.

Whereas, you said

when SLED (LOBM_VFDAT) is concerned, batch 0001 will get selected, when Manufacturing date (LOBM_HSDAT) is concerned, batch 0002 will get selected

Frankly, based on above statement I was expecting batch of the key combination. But, that would very tedious task while maintaining individual sort for each batch & material combination. And that is reason I asked you about the key combination.

Based on screenshot provided, system will consider sort in following sequence:

1. LOBM_BSDAT

2. LOBM_VFDAT

provided you have dependency maintained for SORT in CU71.

There in dependency editor may be you have logic to control this behaviour, for example

Thanks, JP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes. Dependancy maintained in CU71.

My SLED (LOBM_VFDAT) is looks alike your screenshot.

Please find the screenshot for the manufacturing date below.

Also both the characteristics are maintained as "Ascending". Find the screenshot below.

As I already asked, is it advisible to maintain two characteristics to sort a batch. Is it possible to sort out single batch always based on two characteristics.

Regards,

Raja Durai

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The above dependency code for characteristic LOBM_HSDAT is for "computing value for date when batch was produced". Can you provide screenshot for dependency characteristic LOBM_VFDAT?

Anyway, if you analysis, dependency(screenshot) shared by me should answer your concern.

Thanks, JP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As I mentioned in my previous reply, my LOBM_VFDAT dependancy characteristic is exacty same as your screenshot.

That's why I didn't give that.

As per my understanding now, system may find different batches based on LOBM_VFDAT and LOBM_HSDAT given in the Sort sequence, but finally system will be able to find out a single batch based on the logic maintained in Dependancy characteristics.

Is my understanding correct.

Regards,

Raja Durai

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Somewhat you are correct. But we can't generalize this interpretation for all dependency.

Dependency behave based on dependency type. Refer Dependency type in dependency detail window. Check F1 help of each dependency type.

Thanks, JP

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

phanikumar_v3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

what was your sorting rule suggesting in CU71??Is it ascending or descending??(SAP easy access menu→logistics→central functions→Batch management→Batch determination→selection and sort→Sort rule)

Also what was the batch master settings in MSC2N??

Phanikumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Durai ,

First decide which sort sequence you want the system to perform. whether you want to pick the batch which expires first or the the batch produced first.

and create sort rule accordindly.. follow what satyanarayan said..

Test and let us know wats the issue you are facing. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anita,

Thanks for your reply.

It is not my configuration. It was configured the way I explained in my question.

Our sort sequence is FIFO. We have two characteristics (SLED and Manufacturing date) are assigned to our class.

But in he outbound delivery, system is able to select a particular batch by using these two characteristics.

But I am not sure how system is able to sort a batch based two different characteristics.

Could you please explain.

Regards,

Raja Durai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am not sure whether I understood your question.

some of your delivery is picking the batch001 and some batch002 for the same material,correct ?

Then there should be two batch search strategy created.

check what batch search strategy is being used in both the delivery. for that select the item - batch split - strategy analysis button .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the reply again.

No. You have a slight deviation in understanding the issue.

My batch class has two characteristics as I explained above. So the batches will be sorted out based on these two characteristics I belive.

But my finally system is able to determine single batch.

Here my question is, when we sort out batches based on two different characteristics, obviously we may get two different batches. But how system is able to select a particular batch.

Definitely we will get a requirement like multiple characteristics for a single material. But how SAP Batch determination is able to arrive single batch. Please exlpain me this logic behind this Batch search strategy.

Regards,

Raja Durai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Kindly try to help me find out how does it work.

Regards,

Raja Durai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Any guess on this issue.

Regards,

Raja Durai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Durai,

In Outbound delivery batches pick based on Sort Sequence and characteristic assignment of the batch class maintain in VCH1 batch condition record.

If you maintain Sort Sequence as FIFO and Characteristic SLED than sytem search first shelf life expiry batch in outbound delivery.

Similarly if Sort Sequence as FIFO and Characteristic Manufacturing date than sytem search first manufacturing date batch in outbound delivery.

General good practice in Pharama industries is SLED and  FIFO ( First come first out)  shelf life expiry batch.

Regards,

Satyanarayana Reddy M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

But in our company both SLED, Manufacturing date maintained for a class.

In this case, how does the sytem able to find out a particular if two different batch found under two different characteristics.

Regards,

Raja Durai