cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP allow multiple login at a same time in development client ?

jay_dalwadi
Participant
0 Kudos

In my company they are disable multiple log in in development client. i want to ask you that it is possible to log in two users with one development id at same time.

is SAP allow multipal login at a same time.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Be aware that oftentimes multiple logins are disabled for licensing reasons, but Jann's solution is how to enable exceptions for a small few people.  If you are on the same workstation, there is nothing stopping you from having multiple sessions from the same login.

Multiple logins is one of the things the annual license audit flags, and if you are getting frequent multiple logins from users with developer keys, that could be a problem.  Developer licenses are expensive, and multiple logins might be interpreted as a way of circumventing paying for extra licenses.

jay_dalwadi
Participant
0 Kudos

your answer is seems confusion. this is in my knowledge sap do not allow multiple login in production server, but i have checked many company allow there employee to use multiple login in developer so i am in confusion. can i use one developer key with two user in development server or not?

former_member201782
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Jay,

When you are generating Developer access key from SMP, it allows you to add multiple users separated by comma in that screen. All you have to do is, select the Installation number and add the users. So same developer key can be used by multiple users.

Thanks,

Srikanth

jay_dalwadi
Participant
0 Kudos

No. this question not related to access key and how many maximum users we can add with one development key. i want to ask you. about one developer user id with multiple login in development server.

former_member201782
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Jay,

I just replied to your question 'can i use one developer key with two user in development server or not?'

Coming to multiple login for same user id in Development server. Yes as per my experience, mostly in Development servers multiple login is allowed and it is not allowed in Production servers.

Thanks,

Srikanth

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jay,

I apologize if my previous answer was confusing.  Whether or not multiple simultaneous logins to the same user ID are allowed is controlled via profile settings, not by SAP the vendor.  So, your system administrator (Basis) has control over this.  The profile setting in question, usually found in either the default or instance profile, is login/disable_multi_gui_login.  By default, this parameter is turned off, i.e. set to 0, so multiple logins are allowed.  Setting it to 1 will prevent multiple logins.  This has nothing to do with whether the system is production, development, test, etc.

The other part of my answer was why an organization (through the system administrator) might choose to enable this parameter and thus disallow multiple simultaneous logins to the same user ID.  This has to do with licensing and the terms of your organization's license contract with SAP.  Generally, usage of the same user ID by different people is against the terms of the contract.  It has to do with the concept of named user.  SAP charges license and maintenance fees based upon the number of named users in the system.  If multiple people use the same user ID, it defeats the audit.  So, one way to help ensure this doesn't happen is for the annual license audit, which most customers are required by SAP to perform, to check to see if the same account logs in from multiple locations at the same time.  If this happens, it is flagged in the audit, and if it happens a lot then your organization may get a call from your account representative at SAP.

To prevent this from happening, and thus avoid audit issues, organizations generally choose to disable multiple simultaneous logins in production through setting the parameter I mentioned earlier.  However, it's often considered not a big deal in test systems, so the parameter may or may not be set there.  In fact, for testing purposes, it's often not set, so that the testing group doesn't have to manage as many test user IDs.  Test accounts are not considered as countable against the license in the audit.

In development systems, you might allow this as well for unit test IDs, but your developers and analyst/configurators are still required to have their own unique IDs and not share them.  This is especially true with developers who hold an SSCR key, or developer key, and use the ABAP workbench, as most license contracts charge an additional amount for this kind of usage.  Developers are expensive, in other words.  So, organizations will want to ensure that their developer user IDs are not being shared and reused by different people by likewise preventing simultaneous logins in the development system.  This is a choice made by each organization, however, and not something mandated from SAP.

That said, you might disallow multiple logins, but still want to allow test users to be shared.  You can do this with the parameter login/multi_login_users.  This is what Jann was talking about earlier.

I hope this is more clear.

Regards,

Matt

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is not a GUI related issue, more a basis issue imho but I will try to help:

Go to RZ11 and set the username (who should be able to login multiple) in parameter login/multi_login_users

The description of this parameter is the following: list of exceptional users: multiple logon allowed

In case you want to enable multiple logons for all users, please set the following parameter to 0:

login/disable_multi_gui_login

Hope this helps,

Jann