cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronizing Material Master revision level across multiple plants

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

If an organization uses material master revision level to maintain the details of material's validity across different plants then we see a material master with different revisions in that organization. Now I  would like to understand the impact of this practice in big organizations , is it advisable to have a material master with different revisions in different plants? , if not then which is the best way to synchronize these material masters ( with different revision level ), which are already in use?

Bets Regards,

Avinash

Message was edited by: Ulf Petzel

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ulf_petzel
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Avinash,

I don't think you are able to have multiple revision levels at the same time for a specific material master in different plants, since the material master revision level is not plant-specific, and is tied to a change number with object management record, with a specific valid from date.

Some organizations have engineering revision levels they want to carry over to manufacturing. Depending on the specific needs, they either use material master revision level, or carry over the revision level into the material number itself, e.g. in cases where form-fit-function are different by revision level, or detailed traceability is needed by revision level.

Not sure what your company's requirements are.

Regards, Ulf.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ulf,

Thanks for your reply, the actual issue is..

There are two companies; both are using the same material.

We are building a central system and synchronizing the materials from all companies.

While synchronization, we found that revision level are different across companies.

1.      Should we avoid using revision level in our organization?

2.      If I can find the validity of a material with change no + material + plant, then what is the purpose

of the revision level?

3.     What will be the impact, if we remove the entire revision level across all companies?

4.     In real world, across different organizations, how revision level is synchronized across companies or at least in the central system.

Please let me know your valuable inputs.

Thanks

Sridhar  

ulf_petzel
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

as long as no one really pushes for the revision level in manufacturing, I would try to skip it completely. Some people love revision levels because they are used to them from engineering perspective. Some because it is short and you do not need to memorize change numbers to view a BOM with the corresponding "change state".

Removing revision level also means that you need to change the Customizing for usage of revision level.

In a central system, you can only have one active revision level at a time for a material master.

Regards, Ulf.