cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Connection and BOBJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, I have a question. I know how to connect BOBJ 4.0 to SAP BW very well but I want to know how to connect BOBJ with oracle. I have questions like do we have to create a background id in both systems(Oracle and BOBJ)? if you have some links, can you please post them in this thread so I can find out about these queries.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Venkat,

You will need to install Oracle Client 64bit on the BI 4.x Platform Server and Oracle Client 32bit for the client tools running IDT.  You will need to create 32bit ODBC System DSN on the clients machine and 64bit ODBC System DSN on the BI 4.x Platfom Server.

All the information you need related to Data Source connection is located with the BI 4.x Data Source users guide,

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/sbo41/en/sbo41sp3_data_acs_en.pdf

Regards,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ajay, thanks so is this our responsiblity or Basis people to install these on the server? Also, where can I get a hold of these software?

Thanks.

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Venkat,

SAP only provides the supported DLL's as part of the install to support all the different data sources defined within their PAM, it is up to the individuals to install client software.   If you have a proper licensed copy Oracle Database then you would get the proper version of the Oracle 32 / 64bit clients from Oracle.  It's the same client that would be installed if you wanted to use Oracle from either your desktop or any other servers.

Regards,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again Ajay, so once these are installed then is it just a standard thing?  like creating universe and then joins and then on top create webi and dashboards?

Thanks.

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Venkat,

You are correct.  Once all the ODBC and Oracle Client are working properly you will be able to browse the database, select the tables, create Joins and Objects.

Regards,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ajay, I did some research and it looks like i would also have to make some changes to TNSnames.ora file. do you know where i can find this file and what changes i should make please? is this file residing on oracle server or bobj server?

Thanks.

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Venkat,

It all depends on how you configure your Oracle environment, you could run ORANET &/or copy the TNSNAMES.ora from working system.   This has nothing to do with BusinessObjects, you need to get your base Oracle client working first.

The TNSNAMES.ora file is located in ORACLE_HOME\network\admin

Regards,

Ajay

PS: If the information provided has solved your issue please mark the post properly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ajay, so once again you are saying this is all basis work. all we need to do as a business objects person is to get the schema which oracle people will create on oracle system with username and password and create our universe on top of it?

Thanks.

Answers (0)