cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAA install for HA environment for Solution SP4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

We had requirement of installing the DAA on HA clustered enviornment. Currently we are on SP4 so we cannot utilise the benefit of Agent on fly concept.

Could you please help us with procedure to install DAA on clustered enviornment for Solman SP4. Installing DAA is not a problem i am comfortable to install DAA. The question here is how the DAA will work if there is failover happen. How the services will swtich is case of failover.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

oliver_pfaff2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

Im not sure it spossible to solve your problem the way you expect.

We still have some cluster systems where "Agent on the fly" is not activated.

Since there is a DAA agent on each cluster node there is no failover/switch of this service.

We error messages in SOLMAN_SETUP but it doesnt cause any problems as such.

A cluster switch doesnt cause any problems. Not being able to user "Agent on the fly" just means some features are missing.

I would install DAA normally and upgrade to "on the fly" when Solution Manager is upgraded.

Regards,

Oliver Pfaff.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your reply,

My question here i will install DAA sperately on both the nodes. Under normal operation CI and DB services running on there dedicated instance this will work fine.

Assume a senario where DB failover to CI node in that case the DAA installed on DB node will that will also move on to the CI node. If the DAA services did not move it show a false alert as DB is down but that will not be case since DB has moved to the other node.Let me know how we can handle this stituations.

Correct me if i am missing something.

We are under the plan to upgarde to latest SP.

kurt_bjarnvig3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver, if You're under the plan to upgrade to latest SP - then don't do SMD agent HA "the old way"! It's first from SP5 and forward You have the possibility to do the SMD agent-on-th-fly concept. This concept compared to the old way is much more preferrable.

Also to my knowledge, there is no migration path from the old HA way to the new agent-on-the-fly setup, meaning You have to reinstall and bind the agents again.

If You're going to do the old way with SMD agent HA setup, You've to install the SMD agent with the SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME option. Believe me, You don't want to go that way .

Regards

Kurt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kurt,

Please let me know the old process that is followed before the concept on agent on fly.

These would be great help if you have any document link describes the process.

Regards

Ravi Pandey

oliver_pfaff2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Ravi,

I never found documentation about an 'old' way of doing it.

The new way is documented here:

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/SMSETUP/Diagnostics+Agent+and+HA+Support#DiagnosticsAgentandHAS...?

SP4 is very outdated at this stage - there have been significant improments in newer Service Packs.

If you want to set up 'proper' monitoring I recommend you upgrade Solution Manager.

I expect the reason Agents on the fly was introduced is because they couldnt get it to work any other way.

Regards,

Oliver Pfaff.