cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure CCMS agents on Non-SAP servers

Former Member
0 Kudos

I want to monitor some non-SAP servers via CCMS. We have several 3rd party servers which are closely tide to our SAP instance (Tax software, archiving , etc . . .) which I would like to be able to monitor the OS and maybe some logs via CCMS. I have managed to get it working on Solaris, but this was by trial an error (copy saposcol and sapccmsr and lib files to non-SAP server). Does anyone know the proper way to install and configure this on non-SAP server for both Solaris and in particular windows?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dave,

at first the documents <a href="http://service.sap.com/sapidb/011000358700002365562002E/SAPOSCOL15EXTEN.pdf">SAPOSCOL: Properties, Installation, and Operation</a> and <a href="http://service.sap.com/sapidb/011000358700003240702001E/AGEN47EN.pdf">CCMS Agents: Features, Installation and Usage</a> contain valuable information, starting with an introduction to the programs and also offering detailed information about the special functions such as process and logfile monitoring.

Some hints for installing saposcol and sapccmsr to Non-SAP servers:

Although you don't need to use the directories normally used in an SAP system I would still recommend to create the /usr/sap directory as basis for the work directories of saposcol and sapccmsr (personally I create <i>/usr/sap/bin</i> for the executables, <i>/usr/sap/tmp</i> for the work directory (<i><X>:\usr\sap\prfclog</i> on Windows). Within /usr/sap/tmp the directories <i>procmon</i> and <i>logmon</i> for process and logfile monitoring.

This way the programs can use the default values for the directories.

As the executables are normally not located within the path, sapccmsr needs to know where to find saposcol and its log file. This is necessary to be able to stop and start the saposcol, display its logfile and request the hardware info and system log using transaction OS07. To ensure this functionality you have to create a profile for the agent, including at least the following parameters:

DIR_PERF=/usr/sap/tmp
DIR_WORK_SAPOSCOL=/usr/sap/tmp
exe/saposcol=/usr/sap/bin/saposcol

(directories based on the recommendation given before)

For details about these parameters have a look into the documents mentioned above.

Don't forget to add a carriage return to the last line of the profile when working on Windows (normally I add simply the # as comment into the last line). Otherwise it could happen on windows that the last line is not processed correctly and any parameter written in this last line is ignored

On Windows sapccmsr will be automatically installed as service, saposcol can also be installed as service, e.g. using ntscmgr.exe (can be found in the executable directory of an SAP instance running on Windows).

On Unix, use a script, init.d or whatever to start the programs.

In both cases, sapccmsr has to be registered and started using the profile described above, e.g.

/usr/sap/bin/sapccmsr -DCCMS pf=/usr/sap/tmp/agent.pfl

(when registering, replace the option <i>-DCCMS</i> with <i>-R</i>. Especially on Windows you have to use the complete path for both executable and profile when registering sapccmsr. Otherwise these files will not be found when started as service.

Something else? Don't know. This should be enough information to get agent and saposcol running (could be quite worth a blog

Regards, Michael

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Michael for the explanation.

I have few queries->On Unis OS with non-sap system installed:

1.Where should I place the saposcol.exe & sapccmsr files (executable files)

2.Command for saposcol to be installed

3.How to set DIR_PERF,DIR_WORK_SAPOSCOL....parameters

Pls let me know so that I can proceed for monitoring..

Regards,

Nisha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks I was missing the first Document "SAPOSCOL: Properties, Installation, and Operation". I now have it running on both Solaris and Windows servers. I think a blog is a great idea with tips on what you can monitor on non-SAP servers, and pointers on the configuration files.

Thanks again