cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pls guide me

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I work as SAP security Admin for past 1 year. I want to change my track into SAP BASIS.

How can I change ? what should I do ? I mean certification or skill development...pls guide me.. Your time and guideline is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance......

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Vigneswaran

This seems to be a common line in for those in Security discipline but why do you say you want to switch to Basis?

I am a Security/GRC person and the work is both functional and technical with lot's of interesting challenges to solve. It requires general knowledge across the whole system, including Basis. But unlike Basis work, it can mean a lot less late nights and after hours works as you do not need to perform system changes, back-ups, system refreshes and builds, etc

GRC is a path you can branch out into with a Security background but it's pointless to recommend this without actually knowing what you are hoping to get from your career. If you already do security you would know a bit about SAP to understand the different aspects

Regards

Colleen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Colleen,

Yes, You are correct. I am afraid of future that what I may gonna achieve.

I want to say about me then you may get to know what I am looking for, I just 24 years old and i joined in a corporate may, 2013 (just 1 year exp). Actually I was trained in Mainframe Z/Os and now working on Mainframe security and SAP security.

SAP security means, I am helping for one who really works as Security lead. So I am not fully works in SAP security but as of now I would like to work in SAP (I have more interest to work in SAP but I am getting chance to learn or change my track). So I want to train myself to get into the SAP.

I am not sure which would be better and will give me more exposure and confident on my future and work. Pls suggest me as I am fresher for SAP.

Thank you all

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

have you spoken to your team leader for advise and ask them to mentor you?

your success will be based on ability, desire, hard work and opportunity.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Colleen,

For your information the lead is not my lead, who is our client side and wont let me do anymore extra work even though I know it. I am totally confused and afraid. GRC or BASIS which is better for the future and for GRC...should I get any certificate or have to develop my skill by self learning to change my track fully to SAP GRC?

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Fyi no need to reply to each of us with same words as we all receive the message

if you work for consultancy or offshore can you ask your team leader to do a project/solve problem that can help the client? I'm being creative here. This is a practical way to learn, obtain experience and build reputation.

Changing to basis or GRC will not guarantee career improvement. fear of no job or no promotion won't help. read up on topics and see what interests you and then map out a strategy on how to achieve

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vigneshwaran,

As you mentioned that you work in the security field, there is no good in switching to SAP BASIS, where normally the administrators have to cover 24/7 support. Security field is much better than basis, although the amount of knowledge is more to be acquired in basis, but you will not get personal/family time if you come to basis.

So, personally speaking, please do not come to basis.

However, if you still want to come to basis, you can start reading the TADMs as mentioned below:

TADM 10_1

TADM 10_2

TADM 12_1

TADM 12_2

Thanks,

Govinda Joshi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joshi,

Yes, You are correct. I am afraid of future that what I may gonna achieve.

I want to say about me then you may get to know what I am looking for, I just 24 years old and i joined in a corporate may, 2013 (just 1 year exp). Actually I was trained in Mainframe Z/Os and now working on Mainframe security and SAP security.

SAP security means, I am helping for one who really works as Security lead. So I am not fully works in SAP security but as of now I would like to work in SAP (I have more interest to work in SAP but I am getting chance to learn or change my track). So I want to train myself to get into the SAP.

I am not sure which would be better and will give me more exposure and confident on my future and work. Pls suggest me as I am fresher for SAP.

Thank you all

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Vigneshwaran,

I believe you can learn it under the guidance of the lead that you are working with. But if you want to learn Basis, then I have alraedy mentioned the name of the materials(TADMs).  All the best!!

And keep a thing always in mind..In IT field, you must be patient

Thanks,

Govinda Joshi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joshi,

For your information the lead is not my lead, who is our client side and wont let me do anymore extra work even though I know it. I am totally confused and afraid. GRC or BASIS which is better for the future and for GRC...should I get any certificate or have to develop my skill by self learning to change my track fully to SAP GRC?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vigneshwaran,

Please share your email ID.

//

Govinda Joshi

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Do not enter email and personal details here

to share, update you account and share it that way

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not able to send you my email address......sorry

Former Member
0 Kudos

pls help to send my mail id to joshi

former_member187748
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

you should update your email id in your profile, and through which you both can send mail to each other, or you both can start following each other, through this you will also able to communicate with each other.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you...I had updated my profile settings email as show to everyone...is tat fine?

former_member187748
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, now he can see your mail id.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joshi,

Hope you able to see my mail id.... my situation is I am the only one who knows SAP and Mainframe Security.. My TL does not...So he can not guide since I asked...I just helping client side team if they request thats it......Pls guide if you can....

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Vigneswaran

This may be difficult  but if you can reach out to your team leader and discuss development opportunities. I'm not sure in your have this relationship or culture where you work. However, you may be able to demonstrate your talent and your team leader may be able to recommend your for future opportunities with other clients.

It is a pity you have fear. I sit on this forum and observe so many people who cannot even open the door to their chosen career path. From my observation, you seem to at least have your toe in the door and you just need a little bit more opportunity to get your foot through, followed by the rest of yourself.

Unless someone steps in and takes you under their wing to directly mentor there is not much more guidance beyond research the different areas of Security/GRC and Basis; research internally in your company to see what other clients they have (internal job transfer); and look external to your company for others. Do this to identify what each job entails and see if you believe it is something you would be good at as well as seeing job opportunity. After doing this, make your decision for your career and go for it without fear.

Someone on this forum telling you to go do Basis training or GRC, etc without knowing your background is not really good guidance - especially if part of the journey involves investing money in your training.

Regards

Colleen

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks Colleen.........I will make myself clear and come back to you..........

Former Member
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info....Could you pls elaborate about SAP GRC???? does it have any prerequisite???? certification fee ??? I am from India.... Thanks for your consideration.....

Former Member
0 Kudos