cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOMM to Information Steward 4.2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are in process of moving to information steward 4.2 metadata management from Business Objects Metadata management (BOMM).

Can someone please provide following information.

1. New features available in Information Steward Metadata management module in specific when compated to Business Objects Metadata management (BOMM).

2. Level of data (granularity) crawled in Information Steward Metadata management (Audit, Universe, secmatic layers, Reports information).

3. Information on data model used to load metadata information by integrators(Which table holds what data).

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Suresh.

Here is some help in terms of the information that you looking for:

1.  Leverage the What's New guides available on the Help Portal.  If you take a look at the guides for Information Steward 4.0, the What's New guide will highlight updates from the previous BOMM version: SAP BusinessObjects Information Steward 4.0 – SAP Help Portal Page .  From there, you can check out the What's New document for subsequent releases.

• Also note that the upgrade guides can provide you detail on that front as well.

2.  Leverage the SAP Information Steward 4.2 – SAP Help Portal Page User Guide for information on the types of objects and associated objects crawled by the Information Steward Metadata Integrators.  This is in section 3 of the guide.  Section 3.2 specifically documents the SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise Metadata integrator.

3.  In terms of the data model used to load metadata, this is not documented.  The Metadata integrators crawl the systems they are configured for to get at the metadata.  The results of that process are available via Information Steward's Metadata Management main Metadata Explorer and relationship diagrams for impact/lineage.  These results can also be exported.

Hope that helps and best of success with your upgrade.

Corrie Brague

Information Steward Product Management

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Corrie,

Thanks for the information and this will help me a bit.

Can you let me know if any default universe is available on Information

Steward metadata tables to create reports.

BOMM was having a default universe.

Thanks,

Suresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Suresh.

No, there is not a default universe available on teh IS metadata repository.  Here are some options:

1. Metadata Management Pre-Packaged Reports.  Specifically, these reports are available to answer questions such as…

• Which universe objects have similar names in different classes or universes?
  • How many reports use a universe or a particular object in a universe?
  • Which objects are frequently used or not used at all?
  • Which data flows use a particular table?
  • And similarly, Which tables are used by a particular data flow? 

2. Deploy custom reports on top of the IS metadata repository using Information Steward Views.  Here are the Views available:

• Relational Model Ÿ
  • Universe Model
  • Flat File Model
  • Relationships
  • Source Target Relationships
  • Derived Tables within a Universe
  • Derived Columns within a Universe
  • Universe and Report Relationships
  • Report and Column Relationships
  • End-to-End Impact and Lineage

These views are based on typical usage scenarios to allow you to build custom reports to…

• Find the table and scheme names of a given column
  • Find all the tables and columns used in a given report
  • Find all the databases and schemas used in a given report
  • Write custom impact and lineage reports.

3.  You can also export any of your metadata objects from Information Steward to a standard CWM file or for universe creation.

• This allows you to import that CWM XML into the SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise Designer to create a new or update an existing universe.

Note that we are also currently researching creation of a default Metadata repository universe for inclusion in a future release.  Would you be interested in providing feedback on this effort?

Corrie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Corrie,

First of all thanks a lot for the information this will help me a lot.

Yes i would be intrested in providing feedback for this help.

I would like to know little more on points 1 and 2.

1. Where can I find those pre packed reports and are they crystal or webi reports ?
    Where are they available physically to import and understand.
    Reason: We don't give many users Information steward thin client access as we develop reports to answer their impact analysis questions.
  2. How are the views related to each other (key fields on which i can make joins to develop custom reports).

Thanks,
Suresh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suresh,

Below are my comments on your questions:

Where can I find those pre packed reports and are they crystal or webi reports ?

Where are they available physically to import and understand.

A: The IS per-packaged reports are comes with IS installation and you can view from Information Steward tool. You can also schedule these from IPS / CMC. These reports are Crystal Reports.

How are the views related to each other (key fields on which i can make joins to develop custom reports).

A: All the views are available in Information Steward Repository and these views are grouped by specific integrator type. That is, integrator specific views are having specific naming convention and common fields with which we can define relationships easily.

Thanks,

Ramakrishna Kamurthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Corrie,

In your last note, you said, "Note that we are also currently researching creation of a default Metadata repository universe for inclusion in a future release.  Would you be interested in providing feedback on this effort?" 

I would be interested in providing feedback.  Any idea which release might have the metadata repository universe?

Thanks and regards,

Russell Orrell

Answers (0)