cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

update system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm planning to update and ERP system and I'm doubting about the option to do it.

I need to update several SPS, and I don't know If I can do it via SPAM or must to be done with SUM tool?

Thanks a lot

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

hasanajsh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please read the following note, which explains clearly:

1803986 - Rules to use SUM or SPAM/SAINT to apply SPs for ABAP stacks

Regards

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Depending on which version/EHP/SP level you are on and going to, you can probably use SPAM to apply your support packages, but I would recommend you use SUM.  Here are some of its advantages:

• Kernel:  As somebody else already mentioned, SUM does everything, including kernel, sapjvm, igs, SPAM/SAINT update, etc., so you don't have to do those separately.  It even unpacks everything for you.
  • Time:  While the overall run time is longer when using SUM vs SPAM, the time during which your users are affected, i.e. down time, is considerably shorter. It will probably only really matter for production, but the process should be "tested" in dev and qa first.
  • Recoverability:  Up until just before the down time, you can still back out of it without any restores being necessary.  SUM prompts you to make backups before and after the down time, so recover time, if you do need to restore is much shorter as well.
  • Future:  I suspect there will be more and more cases where SPAM cannot be used, so you might as well start getting some experience with it.  If you have done upgrades before, it will look very familiar; if not, you will gain some experience for future upgrades.
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruben,

As you have mentioned you have to update several support pack stack, please use SUM tool to update them as SAP do not support SPS update using SPAM.

Please refer SAP Note 1803986.

Regards,

Jitendra

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you are doing a Stack upgrade you are much better off using SUM. Simply use maintenance optimizer to calculate and create your xml.

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's a maintenance of system. Patch the system to a recent patch level.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes... Patches have dependencies, hence the existence of support package stacks (SPS)

Regards, Juan

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Ruben

What Juan mentioned is the Maintenance Optimizer functionality of the Solution Manager system.

You need to connect the ERP system to the Solution Manager and run the MOPZ to create a stack file and download all the files which are mentioned in the stack file.

The note mentioned by Shkëlzen suggests what should be used to patch the SAP systems.

If this is small scale patching then SPAM/SAINT should be fine.

Using SUM would be the appropriate one as it appears to me you want to patch all the components to the latest level.

If you are planning to update the EHP level of the system then SUM tool is the one to be used.

Regards

RB