Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MBA after SAP ABAP ??

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

My name is kaustubh.

I have done B.E computer in 2013.

I have done SAP ABAP Certification in aug 2013.

As of now I am not getting a job as sap abap consultant. But, currently I am working as SAP ABAP Trainer in a institute with 3.5 p.a package.

I am planning to do MBA distance learning from symbiosis.

Should i continue this job or should i try for companies??

and

Can anyone tell me which field of MBA i should go for??

1.International Business

2.System

3.Marketing

4. HR ????

Help me out.

Abapers dont get job easily(freshers). I got job as a SAP ABAP Trainer( authorised education partner).They have on-site license of SAP.

I am too much confused help me about field of MBA and give your opinion about my job.

I really need expert's help.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

sorry i did not know that. what can i do now?

35 REPLIES 35

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kaustubh,

You can continue your career as trainer and simultaneously look out for entry level jobs with consulting companies. If you can manage yourself without job then you can just focus on getting the consultant's job as this is the right time to apply and there should be lot of opening from June onwards for Freshers. I would recommend you to do your MBA in Systems but not at this point. Because, it is advisable to undertake the MBA course only after 3 years of managerial experience. Doing MBA at this point is not going to add any value especially when you are going for distance learning course.

Focus on getting entry level jobs and later, you can pursue MBA or other management course once you start managing projects and teams.

Also, learning is journey but while you are gaining the knowledge you should also apply it or seek the platform for its application. Just accumulating knowledge is not enough for career progression.

Regards

Shanu

former_member187748
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kaustubh,

as you are a trainer with a authorised training center, and i hope that the training center must have a link with some companies to provide some extent of exposure to job for candidates who have taken training with the institute.

So, i will suggest you to talk to them if anyone gives you a chance to work with them, because providing training and working on real time projects both are different things, so if you will work with any company

then it will becomes more fruitful to you rather than being a trainer.

Second thing is that as far as i know, a distance degree in MBA has no added values in most of the major companies as they looks for those candidate having regular full time degrees, and you know that there are many candidates having regular degrees, so why they will look towards those having a distance learning program degree.

According to me, you should work on this time and when you will get sufficient experience then you can pursue MBA (even the company you will work will pay all the bucks for you to get higher degrees).

Now, its upto you what you will choose.

If having any queries, please revert .

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Kaustubh,

Don't get me wrong, but clearly you lack a sense of direction with regards to your career progression. You have initially chosen SAP ABAP as a career option (presumably because you thought you were good at programming). You intended to work in a consulting environment but ended up being a trainer. Now, that's understandable because the scope for a "fresher" in SAP is very limited and after a while you just take what you get. By being close to technology you can always keep an eye out for consulting opportunities in the corporate world. So far so good.

But I don't understand your need to get an MBA degree. How is it going to enhance your career? And more importantly why would any company hire an ABAP consultant with an MBA degree? How exactly are you selling yourself? What's your USP?

In today's cut-throat competitive world, corporates need people with niche skills or expert-level skills. Gone are the days when Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none are fancy!

You need to concentrate on one line for your career progression. If it is technical stuff that you are good at, either you stick to being a trainer and simultaneously keep an eye for opportunities or you quit your current job (if you can afford to) and go full-throttle. But if you are bored of the technical work and you feel you can excel in Management, then preferably get into one of the IIMs (distance education will do you no good) and give it your best.

Whatever you do, don't be the cat on the wall!

pk

0 Kudos

I agree with Kishan.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Kaustubh,

Stick to ABAP and keep exploring (R&D) every hour of every day and get mastery. Participate in the ABAP forums and get exposure to real-time issues.

Depth in any module in SAP requires years of dedication.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Kaustubh,

who has marked a part in red? and why?

Abapers dont get job easily(freshers). I got job as a SAP ABAP Trainer( authorised education partner).They have on-site license of SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thank you all.

It gave me the right direction.

But, as a fresher it is too much difficult to get a job.

I got jab as SAP ABAP trainer. As per my knowledge, fresher with trainer experience has no value in the company. I am not even getting a job as end - user.

I am really working hard and learning as much as I can. But, if you are not getting enough calls you might get disappointed. That is what keeps happening to me again and again.

Most of the people are taking f*ke experiences and getting jobs. I dont want my first job by getting f*ke experience.

and the current situation of market is going down.

Every day new technologies are coming, as a fresher at first we have to learn older technology and after that the new one. It takes time. And all the companies are recruiting only experienced people with min 2 yrs of experience. Still Education partners creating fresher crowd I dont understand why.

Even a fresher can not do a freelancing project because he is a FRESHER.

so, no job, no freelancing project, no exposure how can you learn real time scenarios ??

some of my friends are working free since 1 yr. why SAP keeps ignoring fresher ?

0 Kudos

Hi Kaustubh,

All your points are valid. But that is how things stand today. And you can't change it. You can only work your way around the system. Not all ALL companies hire Fresh Graduates. There are many small to medium consulting companies that hire Graduates with no past experience. You must keep an eye-out for such opportunities. It's important to build a network in the SAP circle. Keep in touch with your students and other trainers who might land a job and maybe even refer you in those companies.

You need to remember that most of us have gone through the same path as you. There have been disappointments and hurdles. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. And not all of them get jobs through fake experience either. There are many who take the honest route and land success. And believe me, that gives more joy (if not more money) than a job landed through fake experience.

So my advice is to keep looking-out constantly. Post you resume in most of the small-medium corporate companies portals apart from the jobsites.

Whatever you do, don't lose sight of your end goal.

pk

0 Kudos

Kaustubh,

You need to be determined and focused. You have listed out all the reasons for not getting a job rather than thinking about your strong points of why you should get a job. If you really believe, you are confident about your SAP ABAP Skills then demonstrate it. Don't be bothered by negative things. For excelling in SAP, you need to be emotionally strong as well. Because, SAP implementation itself is a biggest challenge. If you fear to fail than its hard to succeed. Don't get frustrated and don't keep any deadline. Just be focused, network and do your part of application. Don't forget to follow up with recruiters. If they say "NO" just move on as NO itself means "Next Opportunity". In the mean time, polish your skills within ABAP. There are so many new things coming up.

Trust me, if you focus on what you want in life rather than what you don't want, you will see result for yourself.  Don't compare yourself with others. Also, I am not sure how candidates with fake experience are hired. But even, if they are, I can gurantee you that they will never be able to reach at the deserving level.

Also, you need to decide, what you want? Job or Career! If it is career than let the SAP passion drive you.

Wish you luck!!!

Regards

Shanu

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree with Shanu.

Also i found jobs in some job portal for freshers.Keep on trying definitely you will get it.

If you want to continue your career in SAP as ABAP technical consultant there is no meaning of studying MBA that to distance.  Nowadays nobody sees the number of degrees you have.

They need technical stuff.

As a technical consultant you need to give the solution to the issues, but as an employee it is enough to do 9 am to 6 pm job. That is the reason companies look for experience people.

So be practice real time scenarios to become technical consultant.For this take some functional specifications in particular modules like SD,MM,FI/CO,PP,PM etc, try to prepare technical specification and do coding for that and finally do the unit testing to check whether your logic is working or not .

All the best

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

sorry i did not know that. what can i do now?

0 Kudos

Modify your reply immediately. I've released it.

0 Kudos

Kaustubh,

I have seen some of your comments early in morning. Apologies for being bit harsh. But you certainly need to change your attitude. We all are giving you "receipe to cook" and you are asking explicity for job openings and Business Development executives. You have again diverted from your goal.

A sensible SAP Recruiter will not just see the skills and experience, but "Attitude" matters a lot. You need to develop a right attitude. Today, you are putting such requests, tomorrow when you are on project, you might look for readymade solutions (which are unfortunately not available in SAP industry). This really doesn't works.

I am sure, everyone of us is in position to recommend jobs and certainly have lot of challenging pending demands to be fulfilled. This community is for seeking right directions, sharing experience and learning. Here "take away menu" is not available.

So, please realise before its too late and think what you really want to do.

Regards

Shanu.

0 Kudos

Dev,

Few days back, even I displayed my email id with good intention and I did not put any explicit request. But, still I was heavily criticised under act of Solicitation. If you are the assistant moderator, please make sure that you are aware about all the rules on SCN. I am thankful to Kishan and TW that they put me in right direction.

I take all the criticism constructively. But, certainly, anyone will expect tenure members to guide me on SCN.

Regards

Shanu.

0 Kudos

Here I've also pressed "alert moderator". But I think Kisan sir was not online at that time.

You feel bad because you can't able to see some replies as some replies are already deleted. Here, I have also done the same as your time.

The difference is that, here OP asked me now what he can do ? and I saw if I delete my reply then he can edit his reply easily. So I have said that "Modify your reply immediately. I've released it."

Rules are same for everyone.

0 Kudos

Dev,

But, you voluntarily explained Kaushtubh. I have read SCN Rules and certainly, my conduct was not act of solicitation. Well, let's not invest time in this. Recently, I learned that if any member makes mistakes, the moderator sends the direct message and rectify it rather than going public. I believe, "Alert Moderator" should be used for right reasons.

Regards

Shanu.

0 Kudos

So you don't think that this is a right reason to press "alert moderator" when you see someone posts personal information in a content ?

0 Kudos

Yes ofcourse, you should press "Alert Moderator" when you see some personal information but even analyse the entire content, intention and then put it in appropriate category. After that, it is moderator's responsibility to explain the member and take the appropriate action.

I think, we should not publicly criticise someone who is new to community and divert the topic of discussion. I am replying here publicly just to make everyone understand how it feels for a new member to face such situation. I am sorry for being direct, but nothing against you.

Regards

Shanu.

0 Kudos

I can understand your intention. You feel the bad feelings of a particular members (who did the mistake) and I feel the good feelings of other members (who is thinking to do the mistake but my reply give them the rules).

0 Kudos

Well Dev, you have still not got what I meant. Anways, thanks for your input. This question is answered and I don't want to make any discussion thread my personal affair.

Have a great weekend!

Cheers,

Shanu.

0 Kudos

Thanks a lot. Even I had the same doubt as should I do an MBA. But now I am clear.

0 Kudos

You are welcome.

Shanu.

0 Kudos

Good Question, .... sometimes  that idea cross my mind.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you shanu patil

Yes, I got it now.

I just wanted opinions of well experienced and mature people.

Just the thing is that I am surrounded by freshers will totally negative attitude, thats why i came here and talked with you guys and I am very thankful and happy because you all guys are cool and care for a fresher and replying a fresher within your busy schedule.

Thank you all

M glad you all talked to me and gave me the right direction to improve myself

himanshu_gupta13
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Kaustabh,

I would like to share my exp. with you, after completing my education I picked up by a renowned company for .net dev., related to a school of that company. After 6 months, I got enter in that company's IT dept. and picked up a module SAP ABAP, then studied it day by day. Note: during this period SAP work was not allotted to me and just was doing some entry work. After another 6 months i.e 1 year, my BOSS wanted to sack me because I had worked their on contractual basis only on some few bucks salary 8K/P, at that time some senior colleagues who are in SAP in that company came to me and said you worked very hard, we will argue with Boss and will tell then to allot him SAP ABAP.

Then, they again renewed my contract to further one year and raised my salary to only 13.5K/P. I continued my journey, thought that I am not working here just I am in a college/institute where I am learning.And just after 2.1 year I got new job in another renowned corporate company. When I was leaving my old company they were offering me double than what the new company offered me but I left the company.

I told you this story because I was so eager to learn SAP and continuously studying it, and during this 2.1 year I made around 20 different CVs and sent it to around hundreds of diff. company.

So, don't loose your hope and do whatever you want, work hard, explore yourself day by day, try to find out hidden negatives in yours and most important, be patience.

Many Thanks / HImanshu GUpta

0 Kudos

Guys

Even at entry level your aspirations are of touching skies!!!! .. I m confused as to what are you upto...

Catch these sentences...

only on some few bucks salary 8K/P...

raised my salary to only 13.5K/P

lastly, ""during this 2.1 year I made around 20 different CVs and sent it to around hundreds of diff. company""

20 different CV's--which profiles??

How come 1 professional floating 20 different CV's..Is this nutts!!!!

0 Kudos

Hi Murad,

I made not for different profiles but actually it was from same profile and getting updated continuously, add in different skills from same profile SAP Technical and here M instead of P for K/P.

Many Thanks / Himanshu gupta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kaustubh,

You just need some positive attitude and self confidence.. Try to learn and adapt to OOABAP.. And about Job.. its not the only solution.. you can do free lancing too.. have some patients.. if interested send me your resume.. I have many options for you..

0 Kudos

how can i send you my resume here?

0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

0 Kudos

Mohit,

If you read the thread, just few minutes back Dev was raising same concerns of sharing information. If you really want to share it, just put it on your profile. This place is not for sharing CVs and Job openings.

If you want to help him, follow each other and send the direct private message.

Kaustubh,

A while ago, Dev explained you the whole story. So, please don't ask for any information like email id. You can just direct Mohit towards your profile and he can capture your details from there.

Hope you both understand.

Regards

Shanu.

0 Kudos

If you ready to share your profile at public forums then why can't you share at your profile level.

Mean always share your personal details at profile level.

if you guys need to contact each or direct messages, you can use following option at your profiles.

0 Kudos

okies.. n Sorry..

0 Kudos

ok.. will update and correct it.

Thanks