cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSSQL Disaster recovery scenario

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I am trying to implement a disaster recovery scenario for my customer. Their landscape contains ERP 6.0 EHP7, CRM 7.0 EHP3, Netweaver 7.4 Portal, BO 4.1 and Solman 7.1

All of their systems are installed on MSSQL 2012 SP1 CU7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

They want asynchronous mirroring as disaster recovery solution and as for ERP system they want their production systems will use AlwaysOn feature and secondary mirror as backup server from AlwaysOn setup. Also same system will use asynchronous mirroring to disaster site.

How can I achieve that? I found notes about what is AlwaysOn and what is mirroring but there are no installation and configuration guides to how to do it. I also have to test how to turn back from disaster site to main site.

Anyone got experience and good documentation on implementing AlwaysOn and asynchronous mirroring at the same system and how to turn back from disaster to prod site?

Best regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When you talk about asynchronous mirroring... you are talking about log shipping. This mean that HA is achieved by updating the secondary database with the logs of the primary.

Now Log shipping or asynchronous mirroring is not good enough to keep a system running, you need a failover mechanism. This is when AlwaysOn Cluster functionality comes in.

The procedure to enable this should be available on the SQL HA installation guides.

Regards, JP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

Is it possible to do implement both AlwaysOn and asynchronous mirroring at the same database? Customer doesn't want log shipping.

Best regards

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is it possible to do implement both AlwaysOn and asynchronous mirroring at the same database?

I'm not familiar with Always on... but as far as I can see mirroring is part of AlwaysOn functionality... You should check this with the vendor.

Customer doesn't want log shipping.

The concept of "mirroring" is based on log shipping.

Read,

Microsoft SQL Server Database Mirroring - SAP Business Continuity - SAP Library

SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn – What is it? - Running SAP Applications on SQL Server - Site Home - MSDN ...

Regards, JP