Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected Behavior error while creating a connection in IDT

former_member184582
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I have created a connection on top of a database using ODBC.

I could able to see the connection in IDT.

I have mentioned the user name and pw correctly  and tried testing the connection and got the error "unexpected behavior"

PFA error.

what could be the reason? any idea?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

nscheaffer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am going to take a bit of a guess here and say this might have something to do with 32-bit vs. 64-bit ODBC drivers.  While the server installation of BI 4.x is 64-bit the client tools are still 32-bit.  So I believe you need to create a 32-bit ODBC datasource to be used within IDT and a 64-bit ODBC datasource to be used once your universe is published to the repository.

Noel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh,

I agree with Noel,

Make sure you have created 32-bit ODBC in client machine and on server 64-bit ODBC connection with the same name which you have used in client machine.

Regards,

Priyank Bhayani

former_member184582
Participant
0 Kudos

Noel,

How do i check whether the connection i created is 32 or 64 Bit. and If i need to create an 32 Bit odbc connection. How do i do this.Do i need to install something.

MY Operating system is of 64 Bit.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh,

As your current OS is 64bit, try to check "C:\Windows\System32" location to get odbcad32.exe.

Create connection in that application then you can use the same name to create ODBC connection in BO server which will be 64bit.

Regards,

Priyank Bhayani

nscheaffer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I find this 32-bit vs. 64-bit ODBC somewhat confusing.  I know you aren't dealing with Crystal Reports, but this blog post does provide some clarity.  It has a link to this Microsoft knowledge base article from which I quote...

A 64-bit version of the Microsoft Windows operating system includes the following versions of the

Microsoft Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) Data Source Administrator tool (Odbcad32.exe):

• The 32-bit version of the Odbcad32.exe file is located in the %systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64 folder.
  • The 64-bit version of the Odbcad32.exe file is located in the %systemdrive%\Windows\System32 folder.

One other warning.  In my experience I have found that you cannot run both the 32-bit and 64-bit ODBC admin tools at the same time.  If you have one running and try and start the other one it will just bring up the one you already had running.

To make sure I know which instance I am in at any give time I have created a dummy data source that corresponds to the instance; 32-bit or 64-bit.

Let us know how it goes.

Noel

former_member184582
Participant
0 Kudos

Clicked on both the below links and created the connections.If i create a connection in 32 Bit it is also showing the same for 64 bit version.

• The 32-bit version of the Odbcad32.exe file is located in the %systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64 folder.
  • The 64-bit version of the Odbcad32.exe file is located in the %systemdrive%\Windows\System32 folder.

Still the problem persists "Unexpected Behavior"

I assume it is a problem with the software since I deleted all the files under Prefetch Folder.

former_member184582
Participant
0 Kudos

Moreover I could not able to see the login page for UDT (clicked the UDT so many times), but  when i click on IDT its opening. The problem is also with the Webi rich client.(Error : Enterprise has stopped working)

This behavior i found after I deleted the files from Prefetch folder. I uninstalled and installed BO . But no use.

nscheaffer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would recommend opening a support ticket with SAP.

Noel