cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BODS Requirement

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Masters,

I need some information about following below.

How to gather the requirements in Client place especially SAP BODS Migration project.

Can you please elaborate the requirement question and answers. because I want to go client place how to collect the requirements.

Example some questions:

1. How much data pass the data source to Target sys.

2. Which database using?

3. How many users etc......

Can you please explain BODS migration question.

Thanks in advance.........

Regards,

Vijay.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Vijay

here r the few things..

how much data they have and where all those data is residing(how many different types of systems they maintained for all these data)

what are the dependencies contain on those data

how good the data is

how they want the data to be in target, how they want to move data like direct load or from staging.

what authentication and how much time they will provide to dump their data to staging dbase.

-Theja

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you're migrating into ECC, you should check the Rapid Data Migration to SAP ERP and SAP CRM V3.42 content (SAP Note 1791183).

former_member188381
Participant
0 Kudos

Can you please attach the link for above question!!

I'm also searching answer for the same question

I am thankful to u.

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

https://launchpad.support.sap.com/

You need an S-number to access the SAP Notes & KBAs tile.

former_member211387
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

For Data Migration broadly you will need to do the following

1. Details on the Source and Target Systems

2. Expected volumes - This can be gauged by understanding their migration requirements for historic data

3. Data Migration Scope and Vision - Your client should give you details on the scope of the data migration and their vission statement. Usually the client will give you their vision and you will have to decide on the scoping as in which markets of the client will be part of a given data migration delivery phase etc., This stage is a lot of PM and planning activity as opposed to tecnical design or development.

4. Sizing - For BODS, depending on whether you need to have data quality as a deliverable or not, the sizing of the kit should be specified. Remember I only mean the kit for BODS ETL and not the entire landscape. For BODS you will need the jobserver, App server configuration, Staging Database, repository database and any additional database in line with the storage requirements. Infrastructure might be able to guide you on this.

5. Users - This is a tricky area. You ahve data migration end users who will be receiving the data and also users inthe data migration development team who will be working actively on developing BODS jobs for data migration. depending on the users and their roles, you should decide on sizing.

This is only starters on data migration using BODS. Depending on your client needs, the overall data migration planning and scope will evolve rapidly. Do let me know the source and target systems and the key systems in the data migration (ECC? CRM? RETAIL? BI?). I can provide more specific information based on this.

kind regards

Raghu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghu,

Thanks for your important solutions.

My Client using 10 sap Sources (sys) I need to migrate on SAP Target Sys.

How to do this scenario.

Can u please explain the question and answers.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Vijay.

former_member211387
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

Thank you for the reply. What are these 10 sap source systems and what target system are they intending to migrate into? I need details on the systems as in whether they are BW, BI, ECC, FI, CRM etc., as you know there are a lot of SAP systems and if 10 systems are going to me migrated to one system, I would like to know the details before I can give you some advice.

Raghu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay kumar,

Currently I am working as SAP Data migration using BODS. Source is Oracle or legacy and Target SAP.ECC

Below information will be helpful

Team Size and responsibility

Data migration manager

Functional consultant

BA ( Business Analysist)

BODS Developers

LSMW ( ABAP Technical consultant)

BA

1.  provide MAP document which contains source and target information (Requirement gathering )

2.  Preload validation

BODS

Based on mapping document BODS developer work it and provide target file to ABAP consultant

ABAP

Loading the data to SAP using LSMW/IDOC/etc

Functional consultant

Post load validation

So BODS Developer will not work on requirement gathering.

For your questions

1. How much data pass the data source to Target sys.

BA will provide information about source data szie

2. Which database using?

it's dependence on source volume you can decide and based on current environment

3. How many users etc....

not getting your questions

Regards,

Manoj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghu/Manoj,

Thanks for your valuable solutions.

I am going to gathering the requirment for BODS Migration project.

Client using approxiametly 10 source systems (Legacy System, CRM, BW, Retail, SAP AFS, SAP FMS, etc.....).

My questions following below some examples:

1. what are all the question we need to ask for client?
2. What are all sources sys?
3. Data profiling part?
4. Data Mapping?
5. Source Layers, Middle Layers and Target Layers?

Can you please explain or any document how the gather the requirement for BODS Migration process.

Thanks in Advance.......

Regards,
Vijay.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

See my comments are  inline.

what are all the question we need to ask for client?

1. mapping document for each object 

2. BODS server details

3. Staging database ( source and Target)

What are all sources sys?

see point 1.

Data profiling part?

If you are going to involve cleaning activity you may require,

Data Mapping?

see point no 1

Source Layers, Middle Layers and Target Layers?

see point no 1.

1. Ask Data mapping document, In  mapping document everything will be there like source system and target system, Transformation logic

BODS developer will not involve requirement  gathering, let not involve  (because you may not know functional and business knowledge)

2. Find out Team ( Functional and BA etc ), Based on mapping document discuss with BA and Functional understand each object and design accordingly

Regards,

Manoj.