Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check progress of MAIN_SHDIMP/PARMVNT_SHD

jakob_steen-petersen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

During EhP4->Ehp7 upgrade the fase MAIN_SHDIMP/PARMVNT_SHD has been running for about 24 hours. I can see in \tmp directory that the import is progressing so things seems to be ok, but slow.

But is there anyway to check the actual progress of this fase - i mean is it 20 hours more or 30 minutes?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

jakob_steen-petersen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi SAP is on the issue, and i have restarted the process. But i really don´t know how to see if the process i hanging or if something really is happening.

I not in the mood to wait 20 hours more until i break the process!

By the way i run 3 processes in parallell...

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Be aware that there are bugs in the SUM version 10 and if that is the reason then you probably would have to reset the upgrade and start with a new version of SUM. the version 9 of SUM worked well. In any case suggest you to update the thread with the solution provided by the SAP support.

Good Luck

RB

jakob_steen-petersen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

Just an update in case other users will have the same issue:

The process was in some kind of endless loop. It was noticed by 3 files where growing and growing in \tmp directory.

In SLOG740 we found

ERROR: Cannot rename C:\usr\sap\VMP\SUM\abap\tmp\PD000510.VMP

ERROR: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by

another process.#

ERROR: tpwritelog: tmp-log C:\usr\sap\VMP\SUM\abap\tmp\PD000510.VMP

could not be removed nor renamed

Solution provided from SAP was to kill the SUM-process (and the tp.exe processes), rename the files mentioned in the SLOG and restart the upgrade.

Things are running ok after that.

But as as note:

I still really have found any good way of telling if things are running ok but slow or if things are stucked. It could be very nice to have some kind of Process list who tells us which process could run for hours/days and which processes should end in minutes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

since the time for each phase is dependent on each client hardware/software configuration the timing can only be get accurate once the first upgrade is completed typically on a SBX system. At the end of the upgrade there is a html file which list the time it took for each phase. Then subsequent systems will be same or faster based on the hardware compare to the SBX system.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

You have the option to make use of the parallelism for few phases during an upgrade.

Check this SAP note understand how it works

1616401 - Understanding parallelism during the Upgrades, EhPs and Support Packages implementations

What matters is the hardware resources. If the hardware has enough CPU and RAM then it will help.

If the logs are getting updated and if the phase is not running in a loop then I would wait.

What is the underlying database you are using ?

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

How many parallel import jobs did you configure for import? 24 hrs seems high. Impor differs based on the number of parallel import jobs, performance of hardware and db tuning.

ashish_vikas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

24 hours is generally not normal for this phase.. please check

1960112 - Performance analysis for PARMVNT_SHD phase

1960418 - Trouble shooting for PARMVNT_SHD phase

best regards

ashish