Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Services 4.1 upgrade failed

former_member280200
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

We came across a very really strange situation when we try to upgrade our DS from 4.0 SP3 to DS 4.1 SP2.

Before the upgrade, our DSConfig.txt file is in the bin folder where DS is installed (E:\SAP BusinessObject\Data Services\bin).  After the upgrade, we discovered a second DSConfig.txt file was created and saved to C:\Program Files\SAP BusinessObjects\Data Services\conf folder.  How is this possible when during the upgrade we specifically pointed to E:\SAP BusinessObject location?  More importantly which DSConfig.txt file should we use?  Right now we can't connect to our repositories through the CMC.

TIA

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lynne,

I found a note 1740516.

It says for DS 4.1 SP2 minimum version should be BIP 4.0 SP6.

Pramod

former_member280200
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Pramod,

I saw this note and even brought it to the client attention. 

However, it does not explain why they were able to successfully patch their Sandbox without any problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you establish the connection to Sql Server from a DataStore?

Former Member
0 Kudos

also, I have seen that generic error lot of times. Most of them because of providing wrong credentials. You said sandbox is patched without issues. so can you try associating a repository in CMC of sandbox with the db credentials from the present box and vice-versa... Let me know what happens

former_member280200
Participant
0 Kudos

We cannot log into Designer since we cannot configure Repository on the CMC so we cannot check that, however we were able to create a brand new 4.1 respository through Repository Manager, associate that repository with the Job Server without any problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you try associating the same repository in CMC of sandbox?

former_member280200
Participant
0 Kudos

Thats what we are doing next, will let you know what we find out.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also, do not worry about the change in the directory. In the release notes it  is mentioned that Linked path is changed to common directory path.

Configuration 

Old location:

<LINK_DIR>/bin/DSConfig.txt

New Location:

<DS_COMMON_DIR>/conf/DSCon

fig.txt

It is weird why SAP has to change the paths. I think your upgrade went well.

Please check the release notes documents for other changes.

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/sboDS41/en/sbo411_ds_whats_new_en.pdf

Good Luck

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's not weird at all that SAP has (eventually) changed the path. Where do you typically put  a config file? in a bin folder? Or in a conf folder?

The main reason for that change is to allow for multiple simultaneous DS Designer sessions on the same server platform.  Up till 4.0, that was not possible without issues. Users were constantly overwriting each other's settings in the single config file. Starting with 4.1, the parameter settings from DSConfig are split over 2 files, one at server level with global settings, one at user level with user-specific settings. Check out "Support for Windows User Access Control (UAC)" in section "2.7 Monitoring, administration, and installation" of the "What's new in DS 4.1" guide for more info.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lynne,

Can you give me the error message?

Pramod

former_member280200
Participant
0 Kudos

Its one of those generic error "There is a problem connecting to the repository.  Repo connection failed".  We checked that we have the right permission, and can log into the database through SQL Server.  We were able to create a new repository, upgrade 4.0 to 4.1 and even associate them to a Job Server.  But we cannot configure them on the CMC, don't know why.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lynn,

Can you tell me which version of IPS/BIP you have installed?

Pramod

former_member280200
Participant
0 Kudos

They are on BIP 4.0 SP4 and BODS 4.0 SP3, they are trying to upgrade to DS 4.1 SP2.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lynne,

Did you upgrade your repositories before trying to configure them in CMC?

Thanks,

Pramod

former_member280200
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Pramod,

Yes.  To play it safe, we deleted the old repositories from the CMC, upgrade them to 4.1 then try to re-configure them in CMC again but with no success.  We also created a brand new 4.1 repository, was able to associate that repository to the Job Server but cannot configure them on the CMC also.  I don't know whats up with that.