Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free goods determination

cathy_liang
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

I got some questions. Could you pls share your ideas / experience? Thx.

Background:

In my system, the existing access sequence contains 5 tables. It is shared by several regions. Now another new region will use the current tables. Meanwhile, this new region requires to add new tables based on order value.

Current tables:

Sales org+Distribution channel+Sold to Party+Material

Sales org+Distribution channel+Customer group+Material

Sales org+Distribution channel+Price list+Material

Sales org+Distribution channel+Price group+Material

Sales org+Distribution channel+Material.

New tables could be:

Sales org+Distribution channel+Order value+Sold to Party+Material

Sales org+Distribution channel+Order value+Customer group+Material

Sales org+Distribution channel+Order value+Material.

My comments:

Solution 1: If defining new access sequence to group the current tables & new tables, it is not preferred by my group. My group minimize new customizing specific for region because they want to set up a global template.

Solution 2: If adding new tables to the existing access sequence, I am afraid there is potential risk of affecting other regions. You know, access sequence is cross-client and sensitive. Especially there is kind of logic overlap between new tables & current tables.

My questions:

1. Any other disadvantage if using Solution 2?

2. What is the best option to handle pricing procedure if using Solution 2? I mean, add new condition type to the existing pricing procedure, or create a new pricing procedure?

3.When developing a global template, any key points we should consider for this kind of case? 

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Cat,

I would go with solution 1

Solution 1: If defining new access sequence to group the current tables & new tables

The reason for this is suppose during testing you see that this does not work, then you can readily assign the "earlier" access sequence to the free goods condition type and no harm will be done. You have not tampered the configuration that works!

When creating a new access sequence put / sequence the new tables and followed by the existing tables.

I don't think Order value is the right field to put in Free goods functionality (per se).

Free goods works on quantity - 10EA then 1EA free

so putting an order value would not be right and create complications.

If you want to give some incentive to customer based on order value, look at pricing and discounts. Not free goods.

cathy_liang
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello TW,

Thx a lot for your advice.

Actually price discount is my alternative solution.

The reason why I raise this topic is that I want to see any possibility to use free goods determination, and any common key points about condition technical from global template perspective. You know, no matter free goods or pricing, condition technical is critical in SD.

Let's look at your reason for solution 1. I did not understand. Could you please explain by using an example? Thx.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cat,

The concept is do not change the current access sequence. The current one is ZAC1 without the new tables.

In free goods, ZAC1 is assigned to the free goods condition type and free goods functionality works just fine.

New requirement is to add few more tables. For this create new table ZAC2 (with all the tables - new and old). (first unassign ZAC1) Assign the free goods condition type with ZAC2.

During testing you see that the desire result is not achieve by this new configuration (i.e. access sequence) or after taking this change to PRD - business wants to revert this change. In that case, earlier access sequence is untouched ZAC1.

Simply, you have to unassign ZAC2 and reassign ZAC1 to the condition type; and things go back to old setup.

Therefore do not change ZAC1 instead create new access sequence ZAC2.

I hope my explanation is clear.

Note: This concept / way of working is followed in many changes, where there is an element of "uncertainty or risk"

cathy_liang
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello TW,

Thx for your detail explanation.

For solution 2: adding new tables to the existing access sequence, we can also delete the added tables if business wants to revert the change. In that case, any bad impact?

Further question:

If using solution 1, any disadvantage to assign multiple condition types to the same pricing procedure for free goods determination?

Example:

Pricing procedure ZA0000 contains condition type ZA00 currently. Condition type ZA00 contains tables below:

Sales org+Distribution channel+Sold to Party+Material

Sales org+Distribution channel+Customer group+Material

Sales org+Distribution channel+Price list+Material

Sales org+Distribution channel+Price group+Material

Sales org+Distribution channel+Material.

Now create new condition type ZA01 which contains the above tables & new tables below:

Sales org+Distribution channel+Order value+Sold to Party+Material

Sales org+Distribution channel+Order value+Customer group+Material

Sales org+Distribution channel+Order value+Material.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cat,

As suggested earlier, free goods determination works with quantity and not with order value. So first please address this - do you want to use free goods functionaltiy? and how?

Do some tests in sandbox and check if the free goods condition record will allow you / give you the desired result?

Second, business perspective, give an example of the insentive you want to give to the client. Probably some solutions can be provided.

Thanks!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Solution 2 is ruled out since you cannot add a field to an existing field catalogue.  Moreover, I am not sure why only one Region would like to validate the order value which is not there in any of the standard tables.  May be if you can explain the Business Process as to why only one Region insist for this, suitable suggestion can be given.

G. Lakshmipathi

cathy_liang
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Lakshmipathi,

Thanks for your prompt feedback.

You mentioned a field cannot be added to an existing field catalogue. What does it mean?

In my understanding, no matter solution 1 or 2, a new field for "order value" should be added to field catalog. Then define new table which contains field "order value".

For this point, there are 2 questions.

One is whether there is a field for "order value" or develop a field for it. If not, does it mean free goods cannot be given based on order value? In the forum, there is some thread has this topic. But the solution seems vague.

The other one is whether to use new access sequence if there is a field for "order value". This corresponds to my 2 solutions. Namely, assign new tables to new access sequence, or to existing access sequence.

Ps.

Some region might have this kind of requirement but not request to implement into the system. For this new region I mentioned, they want to take a chance to implement their requirements as much as possible. Otherwise, they have to handle it offline.

Also looking forward to your advice on my other questions.