cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My personal blacklist

former_member182421
Active Contributor

Hi!

Lately I've been contributing in SCN (answer or try to answer discussions, write some blogs, make some noise, piss off someone and of course, alert the moderator, my favorite one ) and there's one thing that really annoys me, the lack of commitment of the author (close the discussion, answer the comments on the blog, etc.) you can't do anything against that, and you keep seeing the same profiles asking questions and more questions, firstly I tried to remember the users, so I don't get involved in discussion with so ungrateful members, the list is starting to become huge and I can't remeber everyone (and I don't want to) that's why I decided to create my own blacklist in my personal space in SCN, but I'm not sure if this will be against any ROE, the perffect thing is have some SCN enhancement so I can check in the user profile number of discussions open/closed etc. so I can decide if worth to try to help or not, but as this feature is not yet avaliable in SCN a blacklist should do the trick, but maybe is offesnive to someone, I don't see any offence, but my opinion is...well...mine,  Any better idea?

Cheers!

Luis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member195402
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

in the user data shown at MOUSEOVER the user's icon there might be two more informations useful:

• number of asked questions
  • number of closed questions

If a user has a 30 / 0 information he is a blacklist candidate without the need of a (public) blacklist.

But also the numbers of opened discussions and posted documents might be of interest.

Regards,

Klaus

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That "30 / 0" is precisely what we had before the SCN migration, and it was very useful indeed. I guess the plugin mentioned above made use of this information.

Thomas

former_member182421
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I really believe this is the best thing, I already voted for   idea some time ago, but meanwhile...

Show number of open questions in member name tooltip : View Idea

former_member182421
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for all the contribuitons and opinions, I will wait (and pray) until the idea gets implemented until then I will keep my "friend" list as a draft.

Cheers!

Luis

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is time to promote my idea

Block annoying users from activity feed : View Idea

Hiding all such users' activity from activity feed would give you a better view of activity feed.

This user specific blacklist would be used by SCN to decide what goes into your activity feed.

If this idea is implemented, in future SCN can use the blacklist as one of the signals to decide the trending score of a user.

You might also want to look at my blog which talks about a client-side way to hide profile pics of blacklisted users.

I love the blacklist tv show primarily because of the lead character.

I don't think having an intermediary matters so much. It just helps you exercise control. What matters is to stay relevant by withholding information.

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I suspect a few of us on this thread have already up-voted your idea. Though it is already under review which is a good sign!

former_member182421
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank both of you for your feedback, I'll save my blacklist as a draft

@Thomas i'm not so geek

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Found it:

Now if we could just restore the pictures...maybe can help?

Also paging the author , how about a version for the current SCN, I would even switch back to FF for it

Thomas

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Blog posts missing content can be reported here:

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, it's too delicate to handle this publicly.

Often times you can already judge by the form of the question if you should get involved.

Sufficient information provided? Signs of research done and attempts to self-solve? Professional and polite? If not, steer clear. Only points hunters will stay nevertheless.

Also quickly check the activity and content tab of the user, you can tell by the icon next to each question whether it was closed or not.

If you're a geek, you might be able to come up with a browser extension to show additional, user-based information (like dunce cap icons for your private black list...), I vaguely remember somebody doing this for the "old SCN" site.

Thomas

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas

Professional and polite?

I've notice an increase of new community members who do not exhibit the above qualities. When help in the form of suggestion and direction is given to direct them down the right path for them to find the answer themselves, the respond with accusing moderators/more regular community members of rudeness and arrogance.

Only points hunters will stay nevertheless

Not just point hunters. However, some do join in out of genuine desire to help OR they too are at the same experience level but only learned the solution recently and are eager to actively participate in the community.

I don't think the blacklist could be public on SAP but some sort of flare/customisation you could mark against a user to "tag" them so you can classify them yourself. I always thought SCN had a black list but it's better known as disabling the account.

I would rather the section on "featured content" which is a fair bit of product marketing be reduced and the space on the page show some statistics such as % of open questions in the community, average number of questions per day, etc.

Regards

Colleen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hear hear. I started maintaining a personal blacklist in Outlook -> Drafts as of today. Providing help to the same users time after time and not getting any kind of Thank you or not even the discussion thread closed, demotivates one. I don't have any need to make my blacklist public though.

former_member182421
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Maybe public is not the best, but I would like to share /check" the black list to my condifent circles to ensure to avoid same "mistakes" ...I don't know, just an idea or I may see too many street fighter movies "don't touch my friend bro!"

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

However, some do join in out of genuine desire to help OR they too are at the same experience level but only learned the solution recently and are eager to actively participate in the community.

Thanks for reminding me, this is sometimes necessary as I probably got a bit grumpy on average after ten years of seeing the negative aspects that are being discussed here once again.

Thomas

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You realize that once you provide SAP the list of names, the need for your services will be done.  You rather need to provide this list through an intermediary, and insist that you only communicate through this person.  If you don't know what I'm talking about google "blacklist tv show".

Seriously I really think this is bad idea to keep this publicly on SCN.  If you want to keep a private copy elsewhere, be my guest, but don't let us know .

Take care,

Stephen