cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DATA FILE space issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I have a call regarding the datafile growth.

Here 1 datafile sit on H drive which is having 9 mb of disk space next growth of the datafile will be 60 mb  with autogrow on with no enough free space to grow..

Remaining 3 datafile sits on d drive which is having enough free space for the growth of datafile.

Do I need to request to increase the disk size for the H drive. since i do have the enough disk size for the D drive.

Regards

shathishkumar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

tamil_arasan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sathis,

First find top size tables in the system by DBACOCKPIT Transaction then check how to optimize/recover the space in that drive. for example, if BALDAT/BALHDR is in huge size delete expired application logs through Transaction SLG2. if other BASIS tables are in huge size, Please  check  house keeping jobs in the following notes and schedule missed jobs in your system to avoid the DB growth.

 Note 1411877 - New standard jobs

 Note 1440439 - New Standard Jobs (2)

 Note 16083 - Standard jobs, reorganization jobs

 Note 1034532 - Changes for standard jobs

Once you have done clenup old/expired logs in the system, shrink the DB as suggested by S Sriram.

you can do whole database compression as well but do it when system load is low.

If other drive has enough space, you can detach and attach datafile to that drive but you need downtime for this.

Thanks and regards,

Pradeep

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sathish

You can check the free space in MS Sql MMC.

Open the MS Sql Server Management Studio - select the Database - right click - Select Tasks -

Select - Shrink - select - file in that you can find the each of the data file available free space

If you are using the MS SQl 2008 R2 you perform the DB compression as mention in the SAP Note

1488135 - Database compression for SQL Server

BR

SS

Nicolas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I suppose you use SQL Server as database. For beter performance, it is recommended that each data file has same size (check note 1238993).

So, I suggest you request to increase the disk size of H drive.

Best regards,

Nicolas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

how to check the individual data file growth for monthly growth bases in SQL .

Regads

Satishkumar

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I thing as of now there no tool to find the individual file, you can check over the DB level by using transaction ST04

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks very much for your valuable comments for all the people abovve me .

Nicolas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are welcome . Please close the thread by marking the helpful/correct answer(s).

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Could check this SCN link

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3268902

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

Recommend to increase the space of the drive H.

Regards,

Visu