cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to send transports between domain links

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, all

I have setup a domain link between 2 ECC 6.0 systems which are on different server, different /usr/sap/trans and different firewalls. They are network connected though via the sapdp and sapgw ports. The domain link is up and running. However, I couldn't figure out how to forward transports from one system to another.

I tried to logon from one sap system -> stms -> Go the queue -> select the transport -> request -> forward to the other SAP system. I got error: "trasnport control program tp ended with error code 0208. Errors: error in transport profile".

From STMS of the source system, I then go directly into the queue and target system -> extra requests -> find request in other group -> select the source system. Again, the got the dreaded 0208 error.

Please help as I am running out of ideas.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The forwarding works fine now. The problem was caused by wrong permission on the /usr/sap/trans/cofiles directory on the destination server. It is owned by another user and sapsys only has read and execute on it.

Thank you Matt for your help as you are on the right path.

Former Member
0 Kudos

After more troubleshooting, I am getting this new error when trying to forward transports acorss the domain link from the source system:

Note that the sidadm on the source system has full access on the cofile that STMS is complaining about. I can go to the unix prompt with sidadm and update the cofile using vi. So this error is obviously misleading. Any idea?

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My supposition would be that the error refers to the /usr/sap/trans on your target system, not on your source system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sure. But how do I fix the issue? By the way, I have already tried to attach the target system to the domain of the source with a different domain_group. Still I got the same permission error.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan,

If you expect to regularly move transports between these systems, then they should probably both be in the same transport domain, with a common \usr\sap\trans.  Forwarding of transport requests is generally only done between systems in the same domain (but not necessarily the same transport route).

If this is just for occasional, very infrequent requests, then I think it would be quicker and easier to just manually copy the transport request from one to the other.  Find the data file and cofile from \usr\sap\trans\data and \usr\sap\trans\cofiles for the released transport from the source system, copy them to the \data and \cofiles folders on the target system, and then in STMS of the target system use Extras... Other Requests... Add, and manually input the transport request.

Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Matt

Our SAP systems DEV, QA, PRD and the other project systems are all sitting in different firewalls and absolutely no NFS is allowed between them. This is a design from the network security team. Even though we absolutely don't agree with them, we still have to follow.

Anyhow ... using ftp to move the cofiles and data files is not possible with our transport volume. Yes, we are thinking about using transport forwarding. But that is why SAP comes up with the domain link concept to bridge SAP systems with unreliable network connectivity. How do you move transports between domain links without forwarding?

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think what you probably need to do is to configure all systems in a common transport domain, but put them in separate transport groups within that domain.  Each transport group shares a common /usr/sap/trans location, so in your case each system would be in its own group.  However, you still have just one common domain, with one system as the transport domain controller.  I admit, I've not had to setup or work with a setup like this, but it is described in the online documentation (Transport Management System - Concept (SAP Library - Change and Transport System - Overview (BC-CTS)...), so it should be possible to do.  It's also possible to setup domain links, allowing each system to be its own transport domain.  In all of these setups, however, I believe you will find that the systems must have a way to talk to common files.  If you cannot do that, then you will need to find a way of manually moving the files from system to system, and you will have undone many of the significant advantages of the SAP transport infrastructure and concept.  I would urge you to take a look at this older thread on this same topic:  .  In it, , who has probably forgotten more about this stuff than I will ever know, says much the same thing, and as he points out, SAP's transport concept regularly passes the most stringent of audits.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is the screenshot of the error:

The source of the transport is from SD7 and system SM7 is the receiver system.

Thanks,

Jonathan.