Did you mean: 

Different kernel version between systems

mario_bisonti2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hallo.

We have a three systems landscape ECC 7.00 kernel 7.00

DEV->TST->PRD

Can we upgrade SVI to kernel 7.21_EXT and stay with kernel 7.00 on TES and PRO without problems about transport of object from development to the other systems ?

Thanks a lot.

Mario

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I recently worked on a project where we had Kernel 700 and we moved to 720.

We actually did have some issues. When upgrading the kernel and later running SGEN, issues arrised.

I can't remember exactly but, Kernel 720 and newer is built much more granular in terms of DDIC checks. So there is an OSS note you need to apply.

Look at this note 1610716 and 1636252. 1610716 did resolve some a ABAP dump I had

here are some links to follow how to

http://scn.sap.com/community/netweaver-administrator/blog/2013/05/22/upgrading-sap-kernel-from-relea...

http://he-troubleshoots-he-scores.blogspot.ca/2013/06/sap-kernel-720-upgrade.html

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also best practice is to stay at all the same kernel.

I also forgot to mention, if using Windows, Kernel 700 and 720 and so on were compiled witha  different compiler. You will require a new compiler to run 720.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

What matters is the BASIS level of the systems and not the kernel level while moving transports. Like others suggested you can update the kernel one by one and make sure the kernel on all the systems are updated.

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mario,

Can we upgrade SVI to kernel 7.21_EXT and stay with kernel 7.00 on TES and PRO without problems about transport of object from development to the other systems ?

Yes you can without any issues,after that you can upgrade kernel on your test & production system.

Regards,

Gaurav

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mario,

Having different kernel release will not create problems with transports.

As best practice you need to maintain same kernel levels across your landscape DEV, QAS, PRD and TEST.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, that is no problem at all.  As with all changes it is common and recommended practice to update development first, then test and production quite a while later.