cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP30 scheduling for various intervals?

former_member561828
Participant
0 Kudos

I'm trying to understand best practice for IP30 scheduling of maintenance plans.

We have plans with various cycles, daily, weekly, monthly etc, which is common in PM.

We run background IP30 with input variants for the various cycles, a daily job, weekly job, etc

My interests; is it necessary to run separate jobs for the various cycles or can 1 nightly job be used to correctly monitor all plans of a certain category or sort field, regardless of their cycle?

If various jobs are required for the various cycles, what is common practice?  1 job for each cycle ie daily, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly etc and related input variants for each?

What is common practice for use of plan category and sort field?  I've seen comment suggesting sort field is good for grouping Plans so as to reference in IP30.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

All the plans will have either same or different frequencies as you mentioned.

In those plans, scheduling parameters such as Call Horizon, Shift Factors for late / early completion, Completion requirement, etc., will play the major role in creation of call object.

As you mentioned, Maintenance plan categories are mainly used numbering the maintenance plans based on specific criteria, authorization control, etc.,

Sort field can be used to group (as sub group) the maintenance plans apart from grouping through maintenance plan category.

Both Maintenance plan categories & sort fields are used in various reports such as IP19, IP24, IP15, IP16 & in IP30 of course.

If you have more no. of maintenance plans, then you can group based on these fields & you can run background jobs once in 2 days as it may affect system performance. For the grouping purpose, you can use those.

Apart from these, I don't find any valid reason to create separate background jobs for each category or sort field or their combination.

former_member561828
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you for this reply and information.  You have confirms some of my understandings.

Regarding background IP30 jobs I understand we can use category and/or sort to define maintenance plans to monitor.

My need to understand is a follows:

Existing practice is to run a background IP30 job for daily plans, another job for weekly plans, 3rd job for monthly, etc.  To me this does not seem necessary.  By it's definition, IP30 Monitoring will check each plan assigned and convert on-hold calls to a maintenance call object.  If the on-hold call does not satisfy the call horizon, no new maintenance call object is created.

However, the IP30 help suggests a job for each schedule, daily, weekly etc.

What is your experience and recommend on this?  Is it appropriate to define multiple jobs (each with it's own input variant) for the various schedule strategies?  If so, would you typically have just 1 such job for each schedule?  (we don't have many many maintenance plans)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many clients used IP30 to set call horizon. They set call horizon as 100% at individual maintenance plan level and then use  the field 'Interval for Call Objects' of IP30 to release the maintenance calls dues for next 'n' days. If you are following such practice, you may need different batch run for daily / monthly maintenance plans.

Due date interval of the work orders generated is also an important parameter for you to decide how many batches of IP30 you need. The example below may explain this better:

1. Daily Maintenance Plan - Generate work orders on every Thursday due next week with SLA (due date interval) of 5 days.

Identify daily maintenance plans  with their strategy in IP30, set   'Interval for Call Objects = 10 days, schedule batch job every Thursday with weekly cycle.

2. Monthly and above Maintenance Plan - Generate work order once every month (5 days before end of month) due next 35 days with SLA (due date interval) of 30 days

Identify monthly and above maintenance plans  with their strategy in IP30, set   'Interval for Call Objects = 30 days, schedule batch job 5 days before end of every month.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As per my experience, generally business will not give you all the Maintenance Plans at one stretch, as they might not have practice of keeping the preventive maintenance details in their legacy system.

So, I used to get the required Preventive Maintenance details such as Task List, Appropriate & valid frequency, Components, Maintenance Plans, etc., on periodical basis.

I used to suggest them to plan either based on Physical Area / Plant Section wise or Equipment Type wise. It could be Painting Area (1st lot), Assembly Area (2nd lot) etc., or Generators (1st lot), Pumps (2nd lot), etc.,

As Master data are coming in lot, I used to prefer not to adjust any previously defined background jobs & I tend to make one new background job for new lot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a whole, if you see in IP30, there is only one field Interval for Call Objects which plays the role.

If you have maintained all the scheduling parameters at maintenance plan level (this is advisable) then you can go ahead with single IP30 job to schedule all the maintenance plans whether it is weekly or monthly or any frequency.

If you have combination of Time based & Performance based maintenance plans, then better to keep both separately. Even there is no specific reason to keep both separately, but if we have proven testing that keeping both types of maintenance plans in IP30 job doesn't harm the scheduling, then we can go ahead with that.

AB
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

You might want to structure your maintenance plan call job into smaller jobs simply to ensure if the job fails, perhaps because of bad data in one plan, the call of a large number of the other plans isn't disrupted.

You might want to structure the jobs around plant area or plant system or regulatory significance etc. The important consideration is really ensuring that should something disrupt the background job, then you aren't left with a large number of plans not called.

The extreme case would be a job per plan - but that would be rather extreme

Andrew

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

raghavendra_praveen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Batch job with certain parameters may be required in the instances how many days in advance you wish to call up the maintenance plans. Ex annual maintenance plans may be called up 3-4 months in advance and regular will be 1-7 days in advance and some others in a month advance. This is required for effective maintenance planing and scheduling (to combine the call objects and manage the indefinite tasks together).

If you dont have such requirement, then a single schedule will suffice your requirement but still it depends on load on the system.