cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depreciation Calculation in ABNAN

Former Member
0 Kudos

How is the depreciation calculated when posting a transaction using transaction code ABNAN ?

Siri...

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member309133
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ABNAN is used to carry out post capitaliation of an asset that was put into service in prior year although it can also be used to post assets with value date in current year. But its primary use is to let you capitalize an asset in the current year while catching up the prior year depreciation. Run AFAB for posting depreciation after ABNAN.

Regards,

Sangram

ajaycwa1981
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Siri

The accounting entry would be

Asset APC (Dr)

Accum Depreciation until last year (Cr)

Revenue from Post Capitalization (Cr)

Once you do ABNAN, run AFAB.. Depreciation for CUrrent year willl be posted

Br. Ajay M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

Thanks for the response.

I am trying to post thru ABNAN and I get the following entry...

Asset APC (Dr)                                                6000

Accum Depreciation until last year (Cr)        500

Revenue from Post Capitalization (Cr)         5500

However for the same set of configuration and parameters in another system, I get

Asset APC (Dr)                                                6000

Accum Depreciation until last year (Cr)        100

Revenue from Post Capitalization (Cr)         5900

I could check the val date, dep keys... etc all seems to be same in both the environments... any idea what could be causing this difference ?

Regards,

Siri

ajaycwa1981
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Siri

The accum dep  in this accounting entry purely depends on Dep  Key and Asset value date

I never found sap making a mistake to this effect.

I suggest, if you are clear with the concept, go ahead and post Abnan. I guess there is an option to simulate as well.

And never mind, you can reverse the asset transaction from AB08 in case something goes wrong

Br. Ajay M

former_member188028
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Obviously there might be difference between capitalisation date or depreciation key parameters. Please check period control method especially of your dep. key.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

Thanks for the inputs.

I entered the following details in the ABNAN screen:

Document Date        2014-04-01
Posting Date         2014-04-01
Orig. val. date      2013-03-01

When I simulate, I get an accounting as specified by you earlier... Dr. Asset, Cr. Acc Dep,  Cr. Rev and I double click on the asset line which shows the asset value date as 2014-01-01. Just curious how this asset value date is determined ? Is it just the start of the current fiscal year ?

Kindly confirm.

Regards,

Siri.

ajaycwa1981
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sirisha

This asset value date is intended to tel the system that depreciation for the current year is to be posted from year beginning

If the amounts in the posting are as I explained, that's perfect. You can proceed

For your academic interest, asset value date is determined based on a config step, but not in this case. The config step is "Define how default asset value date is determined" in ORFA- Transactions, if am not wrong

Br. Ajay M