Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrate Password CUA and Active Directory (AD)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everybody,

We have integrated AD with our CUA system.

Is it possible integrated the same password CUA and AD?

How can I configure this?

Thank you,

Luciana

12 REPLIES 12

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Luciana,

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking if you can logon to your CUA ABAP system using AD useridpassword instead of a SAP useridpassword. Is this correct understanding ?

The answer to your question depends on a few things, e.g. what operating system your CUA system is running on, and whether you are looking for same solution on all systems which CUA is connected to, or just for your CUA system.

Please provide me with more information and I will explain the options available.

Thanks,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

This is corretly understanding. Can I logon to your CUA ABAP system using AD useridpassword instead of a SAP useridpassword?

My CUA operating system is HP-UX 11.23 and version Windows Active Directory is 2003.

In my landscape my SAP environments is HP-UX 11.23 and SAP kernel is 700.

Thanks

Luciana

0 Kudos

Luciana,

I am not sure if you are aware, but the Active Directory domain controller uses a protocol called Kerberos to authenticate a user when they logon to the domain. Therefore, to logon to SAP in the way you require it is best to use Kerberos so that the credentials for the user already available on the workstation, in the credentials cache can be used to securely authenticate the same user to the SAP system, e.g. CUA ABAP via SAP GUI. This means that no passwords need to be transmitted or stored anywhere, and the only authentication needed is that already done using Active Directory when the user logs onto their Workstation. Also, you can use this method to encrypt the communications - giving you added benefit, rather than just using the authentication provided.

This is achieved using an interface which SAP provided in SAP GUI and in SAP application servers called SNC (Secure Network Communications). For SNC to work, you need a GSS-API library installed on each workstation where SAP GUI is installed, and on the app servers you want to logon to using this secure authentication method. SAP provide SNC libraries, but they are only available if your SAP app server is on Windows. In your case where SAP is on HP/UX, you need to use an SNC library available from a SAP partner. This partner will provide you with all the software and support you need to make the solution work, and meet your needs.

I would like to recommend one such partner, but I am biased because I work for the vendor providing this product :-). The partner is called CyberSafe. You can make contact with me offline and I can arrange a free evaluation of the products, or you can visit the CyberSafe website at <a href="http://www.cybersafe.com/links/snc.htm">this site</a> to find out more. Or, you may decide to look for other partners who have solutions to help you, in which case you need to look on the SAP website for SAP SNC partners.

I hope this is useful ?

Thanks,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello - we are looking at a similar thing... however we have Portal users rather that SAP GUI users (actually we will have both - but majority Portal)

What we want to be able to do have the username and password created in AD and passed across to CUA (ABAP). From the CUA - we will create the usernames and passwords in the child systems.

We don't want single sign on - so want users to be enter a username and password (same as AD) and be authenticated when they try to connect to the Portal.

Is this possible? What is involved?

Is the solution you mention above just to cater for intergreated password ? Could we simply our solution if we only had AD passing the username to CUA ?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Michael,

Firstly, lets discuss the SAP GUI SNC solution, and how SSO can/cannot be turned off :

The Windows SNC library provided by SAP (only used when SAP server is on Windows) uses SSPI interface to Windows, so it will always use the credentials obtained when user logs onto a domain. It is therefore not possible to turn off SSO when using this library. However, the CyberSafe product that I discussed earlier, and from the company that I represent has functionality whereby a SignOn screen appears each time the user signs onto a SAP instance from SAP Logon. In this SignOn screen the user needs to enter a valid Active Directory domain user account and password so that Kerberos tickets can be obtained to authenticate the user to the SAP instance via SNC.

- I am not aware of any other product, from SAP or any other vendor that provides this same functionality when using Active Directory authentication protocols.

For HTTP access to SAP apps, either on ABAP or J2EE stack, the normal way to support Active Directory authentication is to use "Integrated Windows Authentication" (aka SPNEGO). This works well if you want SSO, but if you just want "common authentication" such that the user only has to know their AD useridpassword, and not remember any other useridpassword during logon to workstation or SAP, then you need a different technology. Again, (what a surprise!) the CyberSafe product has functionality to display a login screen in browser, and the userid and password entered into this screen is checked with Active Directory using Kerberos protocol. I beleive that SAP only provide the SPNEGOLoginModule which will give SSO, and is not what you are looking for.

Hopefully the above helps ?

Regards,

Tim

Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Luciana,

using the SAP standard it is not possible to integrate SAP CUA and AD so that the same password is used in CUA and AD. The reason is that the LDAP connector does not support the synchronization of passwords.

However there is an option using the SAP standard that might be of interest for you:

Instead of synchronizing passwords you could use the SAP NetWeaver Portal. The portal can use AD as its user store. Users can thus log on to the portal using their windows logon name and password.

In a second step the users can then access the SAP ABAP systems using SSO with SAP Logon Tickets.

Since the users would be required to log on to the portal using their windows username and password you would achieve a second authentication as you wished.

You could also achieve a complete SSO if you implement the SPNego Login Modul in the Portal. This logon module allows SSO to the portal using Windows Integrated Authentication.

Best regards,

André

ceterum censeo RAP esse utendam

0 Kudos

> In a second step the users can then access the SAP

> ABAP systems using SSO with SAP Logon Tickets.

> Since the users would be required to log on to the

> portal using their windows username and password you

> would achieve a second authentication as you wished.

The above is only true if you want to use a Web browser to logon to CUA ABAP system. If you want to use SAP GUI then you cannot use logon tickets in the way described, and must use SNC to authenticate using an SNC library that is capable of working with MS AD authentication technology.

Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Sorry but I have to correct you.

It is in fact one of the special features of the SAP NetWeaver Portal that allows you to use SAP Logon Tickets for SSO with SAPGUI as described in the <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/fe/13c43bb7137503e10000000a11402f/frameset.htm">SAP Online Help</a>.

This way the user can use the same credentials to log on to Active Directory and to the Enterprise Portal thus the user only needs to remember one password or is even logged on to the portal without having to enter any password if windows integrated authentication using the SPNego Login Module is used.

After being authenticated to the portal a SAP Logon Ticket is issued that can than be used to start any transaction using SSO with the SAPGUI for Windows.

ceterum censeo RAP esse utendam

0 Kudos

Andre,

Thankyou for your correction. I was aware that SAP GUI can be launched from the browser, but in practice I have found (in my experience) that SAP customers rarely use this capability. Maybe this is not widely understood, or has technical issues which prevent companies from using it. I am not sure which, but it is good to know the option is there if it is helpful to meet customers needs.

Regards,

Tim

0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

sorry to correct you again. There are quite some customers using this service. Sme customers even have replaced the SAP Logon Pad completely by a web logon pad (as they call it) because of the ability to create the menues/entries in this page based on portal roles, permitting the user to exactly see all the systems he needs/has access to and the ability of central management of this menue.

Regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos

Patrick,

Thankyou. Yes, I can see some advantages of this method to launch SAP GUI. However, some customers are not using the portal in the way you describe so a different architecture suits these customer better. It depends on the customers needs.

Take care,

Tim

0 Kudos

Tim,

yes, couldn't agree more

regards,

Patrick