cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loaction of oraInst.loc in 10g

Former Member
0 Kudos

Which oraInst.loc file should we use in 10g?

/var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc

or

/oracle/<SID>/102_64/oraInst.loc

Can we get rid of /var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are planning to apply one-off Patch or you are planning to install the latest Patchsetand the oraInst.loc (Oracle Inventory Pointer) requires.If it is not located in /var/opt/oracle or /etc.you need to manually tell OPatch or the OUI (Oracle Universal Installer) where to find the oraInst.loc file?

To determine where oraInventory is created, opatch needs to read

/var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc or /etc/oraInst.loc depending upon the Paltform.

By default, opatch searches /var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc or /etc/oraInst.loc

If oraInst.loc does not exist or was not created in /var/opt/oracle or /etc, you need

to tell opatch where to find oraInventory.

Like $ opatch apply -invPtrLoc <path>/oraInst.loc.

Dont delete oraInst.loc from /var/opt/oracle.

If you plan to install Oracle products using Oracle Universal Installer in silent or suppressed mode, you must manually create the oraInst.loc file if it does not already exist. This file specifies the location of the Oracle Inventory directory where Oracle Universal Installer creates the inventory of Oracle products installed on the system.If Oracle software has been installed previously on the system, the oraInst.loc file might already exist. If the file does exist, you do not need to create a file.

AIX: /etc and on HP-UX, Solaris, and Tru64 UNIX: /var/opt/oracle Location for oraInst.loc.

Still if ur very much decided to delete u can delete /oracle/<SID>/102_64/oraInst.loc.But let it be !!!!! a small file with some imp info?

Regards

Vinod

Former Member
0 Kudos

So is it true that you need 2 oraInst.loc files????

In the upgrade document "Upgrade to Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2): UNIX" it has the following:

"3. After all the patches have been successfully applied, you can query the status with the following command:

$ORACLE_HOME/OPatch/opatch lsinventory

This command lists all the patches that have been applied to the software installation."

But if you run this command it uses /oracle/DWT/102_64/oraInst.loc and not /var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc

Example:

setenv PATH $ORACLE_HOME/OPatch:$PATH

opatch lsinventory

Invoking OPatch 10.2.0.2.0

Oracle interim Patch Installer version 10.2.0.2.0

Copyright (c) 2005, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved..

Oracle Home : /oracle/DWT/102_64

Central Inventory : /oracle/oraInventoryDWT

OPatch version : 10.2.0.2.0

OUI version : 10.2.0.2.0

OUI location : /oracle/DWT/102_64/oui

Log file location : /oracle/DWT/102_64/cfgtoollogs/opatch/opatch-00_Mar_23_08-34-41-GMT-07_Fri.log

Former Member
0 Kudos

Why does SAP place oraInst.loc in /oracle/DWT/102_64/ ???????

Oracle does not place it there.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello William,

Unfortunatelly you are wrong.

A pure oracle 10g installation ( No SAP involved ) creates 3 oraInst.loc.

1) $ORACLE_HOME/oraInst.loc

2) /etc/oraInst.loc or /var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc depending on the OS

3) on the inventory directory ( typically /oracle/oraInventory/oraInst.loc )

I cannot say why oracle 10g creates so many different ones, I tried to find information on metalink, but I could not find any information.

On the tests I did, the one on the ORACLE_HOME is the one that is used by Opatch

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

William,

The files were created as a sort of failsafe, i.e. Form some tools Oracle would look in each location in sequence for the file:

1. /var/opt/oracle or /etc

2. $ORACLE_HOME

3. Inventory location

Regs

Vinod

Answers (0)