cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does SA 16 treat chip licensing different?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am used to dealing with SA 12 and when it would start, it would display the number of physical processors and the logical processors (cores).  It would then state how many physical processors it will use based on the license and then start worker threads for every logical processor found within the physical processors it would use.  In other words, if we have a 2 chip license and a computer with 2 quad core processors, it would say it sees 2 physical processors, 8 logical processors and I could tell through process explorer that is basically started 8 worker threads.  If it used only one of the processors, it would have fewer threads.  I am also basing this in discussions I've had in the past with Sybase support analysts.

Here's a snippet of what I see with SA 12:

Processors detected: 2 (containing 24 logical processors)

Maximum number of physical processors the server will use: 2

With SA 16, I noticed when I installed it, it asked the number of cores licensed.  This used to be the number of processors with SA 12.

This has me concerned how the new version does things.

Here's a snippet from SA 16:

Processors detected: 2 (containing 24 logical processors)

Maximum number of processors the server will use: 2 physical processor(s), 2 core(s)

I just want to make sure I understand what the engine is going to do as far as worker threads goes because this has been an issue in the past with customers and how they setup their servers.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JasonHinsperger
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

The license (per core or per CPU) is driven off of your install key.  It sounds like you may have (erroneously) gotten an install key for the per-core licensed version, which is used with SQL Anywhere On-Demand Edition.

Where did you get your install key from?

If you want to email me (first.last@sap.com) your key, I can check it to see what edition of the software it is for.

If the key is incorrect, you should contact sales to get access to the correct key.

--Jason

Answers (0)