cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sol Mgr 4.0 Installation - Failed at step 31 - Start Java Engine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am installing Sol Mgr4.0 on our AS400 V5R3. I have already applied latest IBM cum PTF per IBM APAR. On the SAP side, I have already applied the ISERPACK8, nwcotrol zip file, patch our 7.0 unicode kernel to level 75, applied the SAPJ2EE to level 22 and DW to level 98.

The installation stops at step 31 of 40 - Start Java Engine.

The errror indicates "Java process server0 of instance SMG/DVEBMGS06 reached state UNKNOWN after having state STARTING. Giving up."

I am hoping some one has already gone thru the Sol Mgr4.0 installation on the AS400 successful and had either encounter the same problem or had prep the environment to prevent this error.

Please share your thoughts and help.

Your assistant is appreciated.

Thank you.

Elizabeth.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

How much is the physical memory on the machine.and how much have u allocated to the *BASE memory pool...??

Probably cud be a memory issue...if u do not have enough memory...

Then try reducing the Heap sizes as per SAP recommended notes...717376

Hope that helps...

Thanks

Abhi

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

former_member158191
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello ,

I am also getting same error while installing on AIX5.3 oracle database

Can anyone help us to correct this ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

I re-installed from scratch.

My lesson learned:

patch the kernel and SAPJ2EE and DW with the lastest.

Installation was successful.

Thank you Kolby and everyone for your time and assistant.

Elizabeth.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

I am re-install from scratch.

I will update everyone of the result so others could learn from it for future installation.

Thank you so much for your time and assistant.

Elizabeth.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Elizabeth,

This problem is not being caused by inadequate hardware resources. I've never encountered the error you are seeing, but most likely your problem is related to step 30 and the problems you were having with UME.

Regards,

Kolby

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kolby and Abhi,

Thank you for your input.

Kolby, I looked thru std_server0.out, it indicates Fatal - Can not instantiate UserContext with given properties. But I don't know where to go to fix this.

Abhi, I am patching ISERPACK8 because I am using SolMgr4.0 SR1 CDs that I have since last year. Our AS400 is 570 with memory is 1.2 Tera, where we allocate 90% for the *BASE. We are @ 72% disk usuage.

One of the thing I found was J2EE_GUEST could not sign on to our SAPGUI client 001, so I reset the password to our master password, and then able to sign on.

The other thing was when I was patching SAPJ2EE and DW, the APYSAP indicates 2 files

File "/usr/sap/SMG/DVEBMGS06/j2ee/cluster/instance.properties.vmprop" does

not exist.

File

"/usr/sap/SMG/DVEBMGS06/SDM/program/config/sdm_jstartup.properties.vmpro

p" does not exist.

But when I run the hybrid library check, the hybrid installation is consistent, with no failed, no invalid record, no missing ILE objects, no missing IFS objects.

I check the server heap size, the min and max meets SAP recommended.

I wonder how critical step 30 Configure UME is to step 31 Start JAVA engine. I am sorry but I am not strong in J2EE. When I was at step 30, I run into error at step 30. I figured I could 'configure' UME after the installation so I change the keydb to OK and rerun the installation, but still get some error in step 30. This was when I apply SAPJ2EE and DW patch and they took care of the error in step 30.

I am writing this to give everyone the entire picture.

Please share your thoughts and help.

Thank you for your help.

Elizabeth.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Elizabeth,

If you have issue with password of J2EE_guest and UME, could you please check user SAPJSF (used between UME and ABAP)?

Best regards,

Victor

jorgen_johansen
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem installing Solution Manager 4.0 SR2 on V5R4.

It is not a System i memory problem and it is not an i5/OS related problem.

I looks as if Server0 does not start because of problems with UME services.

I have created an OSS ticket this morning (CET).

If you want to take a look Kolby then drop me a mail and I'll open the connection for you.

Jørgen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Also, why would u patch the kit with ISERPACK8....

ISERPACK is for

NW04S (and SR1), Business Suite 05 (and SR1)....no where it says...Sol Man 4.0...

Agreed Solman 4.0 is NW04s..but I did not do it...the install went like a smooth breeze...

anyway..it may not be a issue..or it may be ...i am not sure although..

Thanks

Abhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Elizabeth,

Has the Java Engine has come up partially or not at all? Often times I have seen the situation where the Java Engine comes up nearly all of the way and then hangs attempting to start all of the services and then eventually times out. If this is the case, manually bring down the SAP system from the green screen and then try restarting the SAP system, again from the green screen. If the system starts simply resume or restart SAPInst.

If this doesn't work, then you should check the logs in the work directory for any clues. I would start with the logs dev_server0 and std_server0.out.

Good luck,

Kolby