cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R/3 46C migration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have just completed the oracle database export of 46C system. I will be doing the import on the target machine later. This is heterogeneous copy from AIX->Linux.

I used R3SETUP which connects to INSTGUI to do the export as described in the SAP documentation.

What other tools can be used to do this kind of export and which is the more efficient method in terms of time? What are the best ways to make R3SETUP run with more parallel processes to export big tablespaces li PSAPBTABD faster. What can be done about this?

Also, I want to change/upgarde my oracle version from 9.2 to 10.2 during this export as it can save time and I wont have to do an oracle upgrade later.

The R3setup tool doesnt give an option to put it to 10.2. Can I still do it? How?

Thanks in advance.

Cyrus

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks David. Its great that the splitting is integrated for the new releases.

Can you tell me a little bit about the concept of splitting, does it ask you which big tables to seperate or does it split the big tablespaces?

How do you do it for the new releases.

Regards

Cyrus

david_malinconici2
Participant
0 Kudos

By splitting STR files you can export tables belonging to a tabart using more than one process, whilst by default every tabart is exported using exactly one process.

The tool offers you several options like: export the n biggest table on n different processes, split export packages in little ones, or export table (listed on a file) as separate packages.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the great info.

I want to do the same procedure for ECC5 systems and BW 3.5.

Is there any tool for splitting these files other than the migration monitor? I would prefer not to use any java-based tool because they are very slow, atleast for us here. Also for BW, any difference in procedure.

For ECC5, do we have to eneter all splitting information in the SAPINST dialog boxes?

david_malinconici2
Participant
0 Kudos

Migration Monitor doesn't split file, it controls concurrent export and import.

Splitting EXT and STR files with java-based tool takes just few seconds, so you'd better to use it.

For 6.40 based systems, like ECC5 and BW3.5, the split procedure is integrated in SAPinst.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I dont want to use any java tools for splitting. Any notes on splitting the STR and EXT files and how to place big tables in seperate files?

david_malinconici2
Participant
0 Kudos

Why don't you want to use the java tool? It's simply to use and safe, you can use it from command line.

As alternative, you can use the old Perl-based tool (Note 200444), but it's the old tool.

The manual procedure is the following:

1) Find the biggest tables

2) For each table copy the its description (included the related indexes) in the <tabart>.STR file to <table>.STR file and remove it from <tabart>.STR

3) For each table copy the <tabart>.EXT to <table>.EXT

david_malinconici2
Participant
0 Kudos

1) In order to perform that migration you can only use R3setup

2) You have to split STR and EXT files, placing the biggest tables in their own files, before the R3load export. You can do split manually or using the java splitting tools as described in SAP Note 784118. You can stop R3setup modifying the .R3S file or renaming R3load.

3) You can install the target system with Oracle 10g avoiding the db upgrade. Check the SAP Note 946141.

Hope this helps.

Cheers