cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Copy Performance

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am in the process of copying our production client to a training system. The database size is about 580GB. The production client has already been restored to the training server from backup, however the client copy is necessary because our business requires a change in the client number. So far, it has taken about 30 days to copy 75% of the tables, and the timing of this copy is becoming a critical issue for me.

I've read all of the relevant notes, and we've performed the normal steps in preparation for a copy. I noticed in Note 489690 that it says the database interface limits the throughput to approximately 500MB per hour. Can anyone explain this in more detail, or offer a method to change this limitation? In checking the client copy log, it appears that we are getting from 300MB-1GB copied per hour, so my average falls somewhere close to the stated 500MB/hour. Can anyone offer any additional suggestions for improving client copy performance?

Thanks!

Steve

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sri,

Thanks for posting. To answer your first point, we did a database copy of our production database (from backup) to a new server, and then renamed the SID. We are now attempting to do a client copy in order to rename the client number for our training system. We haven't moved on to step 2 yet, which you mentioned in your second point. We're just trying to speed up the client copy, if it's possible.

Here's a quick overview of the system hardware we're using: Production and training servers are all IBM pSeries servers running AIX 5.3. The Training server is a dual processor system with 16GB of RAM. The data is all stored on ATA disks in a RAID5 config on an EMC CLARiiON CX700.

Thanks,

Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

Infact we too referred 489690 and used parallel processing and also to some extent the large tables were taken care of... our process took about 7 days for a similar 500+GB database.... hope this info helps... but i am out of stock now...

Br,

Sri

Award points for helpful answers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Steve,

I have a few more queries...

1. did you perfrom a system copy of your PRD to QTY or is it a client copy...

As far as i go if your PRD system is copied to your QTy or training then it should be called a System Copy...

2. Your Business wanted a new client name.... that indicates me that you are perfroming a logical system name comversion... via BDLSS.

and the notes you are referring are indeed Client copies..So a lil bit confused about the exact scenario...

Please clarify.

Sri

Award points for helpful answers