cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table names shorter than in database (salesforce)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello guys,

I am facing a problem when inserting tables to the data foundation layer using ODBC connector to salesforce.

Both table and column names come truncated to the insertion list (and to the data foundation layer, if finally insert), with a maximum lenght of 18 chars, so we cannot know the whole name of the objects to perform the query.

ie. if the name of the table is "this_is_the_name_of_the_table" I am getting only "this_is_the_name_o", the first 18 chars.

For more information, if I load the tables in a excel sheet they come with the whole name, so we can discard an ODBC problem.

Anyone has any idea about how to get the whole name for the tables and the column names?

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Regards,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member4998
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Try below

A table is attached to one schema. The table name must be unique within a schema to which it belongs.

A table must be identitied by: a catalog name, a schema name and the table name. In standard SQL syntax, the table identifier is constructed by concatenating the catalog name, the schema name and the table name separated by a . (period).

When default catalog and/or default schemas are set, catalog names and schema names can be omitted in the table identifier.

You can specify a default catalog or schema via the session parameters in the data federation administration tool. Specifying a default catalog allows you to send queries without fully qualifying table names.

There are two levels of parameters in Data Federator: system and session.

Changing a system parameter

1. 1. To access the data federation administration tool interface for managing parameters, login to the data federation administration tool, and click the System Parameters tab.
  2. 2. In the row containing the parameter, type the new value in the Current value box, and press enter.

Changing a session parameter

1. 1. To access the data federation administration tool interface for managing parameters, login to the data federation administration tool, and click the System Parameters tab, then click Session Parameters.
  2. 2. In the row containing the parameter, type the new value in the Current value box, and press enter.

Click Start > Programs > BusinessObjects Data Federator XI Release 4 > data federation administration tool.

Enter the name of your system, your user name and password, then click OK.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many thanks for your answer, I tried to find the parameter that limits that by reading the descriptions of them, but no luck. In addition, I am not completely sure if this will solve the issue completely because, as I understand, data federator only refers to IDT parameters, so I guess UDT will be still showing that limitation...

former_member4998
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi..

Then if u want that name only it’s better to create alias table for it and give ur own name and  Also you can check in udt documentation for limit of number of chars in table name/ column name.