cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to install SAP for Admin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear i am an IT Officer at my company and recently we implement SAP in our organization. now i am cumming to the point. we are simply installing SAP SUI setupall on windows and give server IP for every workstation manually so for this step we need to provide full internet access to workstation. now as per policy i want some advance installation  for workstation without give them internet access. i want to configure SAP on local server for workstation and local server will be connect with our DATABASE server in head office. please help. and sorry for my English .

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Qaiser,

Could you please clarify your requirement?  When you say you want to install SAP on a local server and the local server will be connected with your database server in the head office, do you mean install an SAP application server?  Or do you mean a SAPGUI installation server?  Either way, your SAPGUI clients will require some kind of network connection to an SAP application server in order for your users to do business.  Generally, an open Internet connection would not be recommended for that, as this should be internal to your company's network, but possibly it might be over a VPN connection.

Or do you mean that currently the SAPGUI installation server is in the head office and you would like to have another one local in your branch office, closer to your users?

Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Matt Fraser Thank for your time. Our main server is in head office witch is in different city and our office is in different city. in our office i have install Windows server 2003 server and managing users VIA active directory on domain network. we are providing internet to selected users(workstation) via interning DNS server IP witch. and user who are restricted from internet who are simply leave his DNS server empty so there for this user cant connect internet. but the restricted user can send and receive theres mail via server IP witch i have entered  in for incoming mail server and out doing mail server because we have configerd cshpharma,com on server via free proxy software. so i want to instal GUI on workstation and configure it like outlook via server IP over domain network. sorry for my weak english.

Thanks and appreciate

Regards

Syamkriz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I think you should approach sap basis Netweaver consultant. If your requirement is to have an application server in your lan and database in your remote office, then it is not possible. If your requirement is to have sapgui or sap client software in your lan then rest in your head office, you can do it. For the information related to sapgui installation server you can check the guide mentioned above. If you need mass installation, then setup something called sapgui installation server.the method is also there in sapgui installation guide.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So, I understand that you are not trying to setup a remote application server, but simply to setup your various SAPGUI clients in the remote office to connect to an SAP server in the head office.

How many users do you need to setup this way?  If it's only a handful, it's probably quicker and easier to manually configure each workstation separately, but if there are many, then it could be worthwhile to configure an installation server with centralized configuration files.  This takes a bit of work, but once it's done the process of managing all the individual workstations is much easier.

Since you have a local Windows 2003 server available, it probably still makes sense to set up an installation point for SAPGUI on that, even if you still manually configure each workstation later.  So, follow the instructions in the guides mentioned, but basically what you will do is create a folder on the windows server and share it with read/write permission for administrators and read-only permission for domain users (or as appropriate for your Active Directory configuration).  Then, download from the Service Marketplace the installation media and required patches to your local PC:

http://service.sap.com/swdc -> Installations and Upgrades -> Browse our Download Catalog -> SAP Frontend Components -> SAP GUI FOR WINDOWS -> SAP GUI FOR WINDOWS 7.30 CORE -> Installation -> 50120297_6

http://service.sap.com/swdc -> Support Packages and Patches -> Browse our Download Catalog -> SAP Technology Components -> SL TOOLSET -> SL TOOLSET 1.0 -> Entry by Component -> SAPSetup -> SAPSETUP 9.0 -> Support Packages and Patches -> Windows Server on IA32 32bit -> SAPSETUP90P2SP00P_45-20008539.EXE

http://service.sap.com/swdc -> Support Packages and Patches -> Browse our Download Catalog -> SAP Frontend Components -> SAP GUI FOR WINDOWS -> SAP GUI FOR WINDOWS 7.30 CORE -> Win32 -> gui730_08_1-10010496.exe

Unpack the 50120297_6.zip file onto your workstation, then drill down in the extracted folder to \NW_7.0_Presentation_\PRES1\GUI\WINDOWS\WIN32\Setup and execute NwCreateInstServer.exe.  When it asks for the share location to install to, point it at the \\<server>\<share> location you created on your Win2003 server earlier, then just follow the prompts.  This will create an installation server folder structure on your server and fill it with the majority of the SAPGUI products.  When it is done it will launch NwSapSetupAdmin.exe.  When you want to launch this administration tool again in future, do so from \\<server>\<share>\Setup\NwSapSetupAdmin.exe.  You'll use this a lot.

In the admin tool, click on Patch Server and then browse to the file you downloaded called SAPSETUP90P2SP00P_45-20008529.EXE.  The tool will then use this to patch the installation server's setup files to pl 45.  When that is done, click Patch Server again and this time browse to the file you downloaded called gui730_08_1-10010496.exe.  This will patch the core SAPGUI components to pl 8 hotfix 1.

Now that your installation server is fully patched, click on New Package and pick which SAPGUI components you want to install on your workstations.  At a minimum, you'll probably want SAP GUI and SAP Logon, and very likely SAP Automatic Workstation Update, but your requirements may be different.  Give the package a name, such as Basic or whatever makes sense to you.

This is enough to get started if you only have a small number of workstations to update.  If you have many, then you'll need to do more configuration of the package, which is beyond the scope of this answer.  With this, you can have the clients install the predefined package of SAPGUI components, and then you can manually configure SAP Logon on each one to point at your head office server.

To install SAPGUI from the installation server to the workstations, from each workstation execute \\<server>\<share>\Setup\NwSapSetup.exe /package="<package name>" /nodlg.  This set of options will not require the user to make any decisions and will install the components you defined in the package.  If you leave off the /nodlg switch, then users will have an option to override the default package and choose different components.  If you leave off all the switches and just run NwSapSetup.exe, then users will be able to choose between installing discrete components or installing the package.

After the installation is done on each workstation, you'll still need to open up SAP Logon on the workstation and configure your server connection.  Basically, press the New button, click Next, and enter the parameters your head office system administrator provides for connecting (custom application server vs group/server selection, description, hostname (IP address can go here), instance number, system ID, etc).  This too can be automated in the package you define, but that takes more work and may not be worthwhile if we're talking 5-20 clients only.

Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Matt Fraser now i under stand how to manage my Problem. thanks all friends who have reply me and guide me as well and thanks to scn.sap.com community and special thanks to Matt Fraser.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Please read the installation guide for SAPGUI which is located in the installation server folder

under

\NW_7.0_Presentation_\PRES1\DOCU

Refer to:

1) The Frontend Installation Guide

2) The administration Guide.

The best practice is to create an installation server with NwCreatInstServer.exe and continue from there.

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Jude thanks for reply and helpful information. now i am working on it

Regards