cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reservation of stock at Storage Type level in Warehouse

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

My client is currently using ORACLE ERP system and they are migrating to SAP.

In ORACLE there is a flexibility wherein reservation can be activated for warehouse stock.

However, in SAP we are mapping the multiple warehouses present in ORACLE as Storage types.

So, I would like to know whether there is a way to reserve the stocks at storage type level.

According to my analysis direct reservation is possible at plant and storage location  level.

However I would like to know from you whether there is a direct way to reserve the stocks in storage type in warehouse or any in-direct way possible to reserve the storage type stock?

Thanks & Regards

Subhasis

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

joao_sousa2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
However, in SAP we are mapping the multiple warehouses present in ORACLE as Storage types.

That's probably a bad move. A physical warehouse should be at least one storage location, and storage types should only be used for sub organization inside a warehouse.

For example if Storage types are used for High Rack, Bulk, etc (what they are supposed to be used for) there is no reason to reserve stock in a specfic storage type.

Storage type vs Storage location. A "type" shouldn't be used to separate different warehouses.

mihailo_sundic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Are you asking about reserved quantities or reservation process, It seems to me you want to know about reserving some stock quantity, like holding it reserved by any document, not the actual reservation process in SAP, so I'll answer in that way.

Reserving the stock in IM works at Storage Location level,
while reserving the stock in WM works at Quant level.

I guess you wanted to accomplish reserving of some material quantity not from the specific storage bin, but from the entire storage type, but in WM unfortunately we need to know which quantity is reserved / available at quant level.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think this was already answered in your discussion

Let me add a technical evidence. Reservations are stored in table RESB.

Table RESB has no WM related fields like warehouse number or storage type.

Conclusion: not possible to reserve any stock at WM level