cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message mapping in sap pi 7.3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am using SAP PI 7.3. In ESR, I have declared one source data type & message type and one target data type & message type. I have also completed message mapping. But in message mapping, If I do right click on the target message type, I am getting one option "Add variable" in the context.

Can anyone tell me what is the use of it?

Thanks & Regards,

Moumita

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Moumita

This is mainly used to store some values in it and then use it later in the same mapping.

For example suppose there is a field which contains amount and it occurs in many times in the source structure.

So we can populate the sum of all this fields into this variable and later used that for populating any target field.

Another example is suppose we want to make an RFC look up in PI to store some data in ECC tables.

In that also we map the RFC look up function to this variable.

This variable will be not present in the map output.

Check this

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Indrajit,

Thanks for your reply.

Let me clarify one point. So, If we add the variable in this way we can use this variable only in the mapping part. Can we use it in variable substitution in ID?

Thanks & Regards,

Moumita

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Let me clarify one point. So, If we add the variable in this way we can use this variable only in the mapping part. Can we use it in variable substitution in ID?

--- NO. You have to map that variable to another field of Target Side. Only then you can use variable substitution.

BR,

Anirban

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok.. Now it is clear to me. Thaks to all of you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Moumita,

Basically we use it to hold some value from Source fields and we can reuse the value later in the same  mapping.

go through the below link ... you will have a clear idea

/people/william.li/blog/2008/02/13/sap-pi-71-mapping-enhancements-series-using-graphical-variable

BR,

Anirban

0 Kudos

Hi Moumita,

If we need to use same mapping logic for many fields in target then we can use the variable. We need to do the mapping and store the value in variable and then we need use variable mapping all the fields in target.

It will increase the performance of the mapping as we are implementing the logic only once instead of many times.

Regards,

Sudha