cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between alert moderator button on post and on a thread?

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear SAP Mentors

I want to know that what is the difference and functioanlity of alert moderator button for every post in a thread separately and for whole thread in right side of the page? If we click on alert moderator for a specific post then what should we expect and if we do this for a thread then what can be the result? Please elaborate the functioanlity of both.

Thank$

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alerting a post means you want it to be removed. Removal of post would result in loss of replies too.

Alert individual reply means you want that reply to be removed, not the entire post.

As far as discussions go, they consist of interlinked messages. Top level post is also a message. Replies are also message, but they have a higher level message assigned.

See above 2 URLs. They point to same thing. One is using thread number, other is using message number.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manish

I am also having same opinion about these two alert moderators buttons but the issue is that it is not being done like it should be. I reported abuse for one specific reply and whole thread was deleted which was really helpful for those who search in google for that topic. knows it and he actually rectified one.

Jason! I have two new cases like that and these are also required to be restored. Can you please do that?

An Manish! Two links you have provided is opening same thread for me. Can you please check or this is some understanding problem from my side.

Thank$

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, they are for same thread. It is to demonstrate that discussion and replies, both are technically message.

It is just that reply has a discussion has parent, and discussion probably has space has parent.

About the thread getting deleted, it could be because someone else reported the thread, and that alert was processed by moderator. It could also be that once moderator reviews the alert, he/she finds entire discussion pointless and rejects it. Or, it could be a human error.

Let's look at links again.

Compare the URL's when you open them, and notice where the vertical scroll bar is.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I got your point Manish. Thank you But I raised this discussion because of a fact that day before yesterday I alerted moderator and in remarks mentioned that please don't delete the thread. Just delete this reply but today I have checked that whole discussion has been deleted and now I want to restore that discussion. Global moderator could do that for me. or may be

Thank$

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Moazzam,

These posts should have been originally locked and not deleted.

I have released both threads.

To your original question: Once you click on Alert Moderator to the right in your Actions box, the whole post is reported. When you alert a reply/comment, only the reply/comment will be processed.

In this case I believe it was a human error.

Have a great day @everyone,

Oxana

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you Oxana Noa Zubarev for releasing the threads and it could be more thankful if you would have locked these threads so that no one can post in future. I also believe it was a human error. Thank you once again and thread closed.

Thank$

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oxana Noa Zubarev

These posts should have been originally locked and not deleted.

I have released both threads.

I feel, this should happen (Global Moderators releasing a thread which were locked / deleted) only in concurrence with Space Moderators.  I am not sure, whether in the above case, it has happened.

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmi,

After my investigation this case suggested technical issues (which led to human error), which are not moderation related.

Since your reply is not related to this discussion, let's take it offline.

I will reach out shortly.

Thanks,

Oxana

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oxana Noa Zubarev

There is another example of same issue. Could you please release this one too and if this is a bug then please resolve it. I reported abuse for one reply but whole discussion got rejected.

http://scn.sap.com/message/15002656#15002656

Thank$

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In my opinion, you are trying to view your original thread through rejected message's message number. Instead, try to view your post through original thread number. You can view your original thread in your content. If you still have any issue, then report that.

Thanks

JP

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Got it. This is new for me that thread's link is changed in my content and in rejected message. Thank you JP.

Thank$

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you hit "alert moderator" for an initial post, then that post appears in the moderator console.

If you hit "alert moderator" for a reply, the reply appears in the moderator console.

Visually, there's no difference to the moderator.

If the moderator rejects the initial post, then the whole thread becomes invisible.

If the moderator rejects a reply, just the reply is invisible.

If a moderator fails to read your note that actually the issue is only with some reply, then the moderator might make a mistake and reject the whole thread.

So.

1. If there's an issue with an initial post or an entire thread, then use the "alert moderator" for the thread.
  2. If there's an issue with a reply, use the "alert moderator" for the reply.
  3. If it's appropriate to "alert moderator" for the thread, but you think perhaps some action other than rejecting the thread is appropriate, then include that reason in your text, and pray the moderator reads it and understands it.
moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Matthew

Thanks for describing this from a moderator point of view. I have been doing the same from almost last two years and I always pray that moderator read my comments and sometimes they overlook may be because of overloaded.

Since you are also a moderator and I have read your many gratifying posts like above, could you please share one more thing that if some space moderator can reject document, can he restore the same? Does space moderators have this privilege or it is only global moderators who can do this?

Thank$

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think I can restore a thread in my own space, but not a reply. I can go to a user's profile and see their draft posts (that's where rejected posts go). I can then look at the post, and "alert moderator". Then I get it on the queue, where I think I can approve it and it will be restored. If I was the one who initially reported it though, I can't report it again.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ohh! It means moderators can view member's draft content. If some ordinary user like me has written some document or blog and has not publish yet, moderators can view that before we publish?

Can you check in my profile and see what are my unpublish drafts?

Thank$

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
unpublished drafts

No. In my opinion, It's incorrect assumption. Space Moderators don't have authorization to do so.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you JP for sharing your opinion. So it means only rejected content from moderators can be viewed by moderators in user's profiles. Is this understanding correct?

Thank$

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I just checked. I can't see anything of yours that is draft.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you Matthew and Thank God we have this provacy in SCN

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
rejected content(discussion) from moderators can be viewed by moderators in user's profiles

No. Those will be visible in the respective space to the Moderator for limited period, not in user profile.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But Matthew said something different or may be understanding problem from myside. Anyways you guys are moderators and this is your role which you are doing well. My concern was just upto my drafted documents and now I am relax about those. Thank you for giving a little insights of moderation.

Thank$

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jyoti Prakash and Lakshmipathi G Sir could you please check this. I am giving two links with same reason which I have stated above.

http://scn.sap.com/message/14992015#14992015

http://scn.sap.com/message/14988688#14988688

Thank$

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are these the threads that you say are now deleted?

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes these are and these are restored now but I am wondering who did this now I am pretty sure it can't be you Manish because I am not seeing any M or SAP in your profile.

Thank$

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

These two posts are still there..

As I can see in first post, two replies are hidden from this discussion.

Regards

Dev

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

First Alert moderator

Its for your thread, If you press this alert moderator, then the whole post will be rejected along with all replies. The most of reasons are "Basic question", "Cross posting", "Wrong Space" etc

Second Alert moderator

This is for the specific reply. If you press this alert moderator, then only this reply will be rejected.

The most of reasons are "Link farming" , "Personal Information", "Asking for points", "Nothing related to main discussion"

Regards

Dev

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I was also thinking like this Dev but it didn't happen. I alerted for a reply and whole discussion was removed. That reply was on a very old thread but that thread as a whole was very useful.

Thank$

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Your thinking is absolutely correct.

I am can sure about that.

Here I have an example for thread

I have alerted the moderator only for these posts, so these posts are hidden.

May be after your abuse, moderator think that the whole discussion should be removed or by mistake moderator has removed the discussion instead of the reply.

Regards

Dev

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I mentioned in comment section while alerting moderator that please don't delete whole thread then how come a moderator can be mistaken. This can be done because of the fact mentioned by Manish that may be someone else has alerted moderator for whole thread and moderator took action. I want to clear my doubt thats why I have tagged moderators of my space here.

Thank$

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Okay may I know which alert moderator buttons you have used ?

For the discussion or for the reply ?

If you have used the reply, then I am quite sure, its not done via mistake.

Anyway, lets wait for the moderators reply..

Regards

Dev

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I did for that specific reply which some user posted after a year ago. I was OP of that thread and thats why I want it to get restore because it is also deleted from my content history.

Thank$

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>May be after your abuse

Read it as May be after your alert

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I told you our thinking is absolutely correct.

It just done via a mistake by moderator.