cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation on HA Availability

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have installed an Enterprise Portal NW 7.4 on High Availability MSCS, Windows 2012, SQL Server 2012.

We have (A)SCS installed on Node A and Node B, with a Virtual IP.

For DB we have two nodes, Node A and Node B with a Virtual IP.

We additionally have two APP Servers, APP1 and APP2 installed on servers which are not part of the cluster.

My questions is, if we have to access the Portal application installed on a HA system, how do we do it?

Which hostname should we use in the URL?

Do we use the hostname for APP1?

Regards,

Vishnu.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vishnu,

In HA environment it is recommended to have Webdispatcher installed . This will take care of load balancing between the 2 HA hosts . URL to be published to end-user should of Web-dispatcher and not of individual portal app servers.

More details can be found in SAP help

One Web Dispatcher, Two Systems: Configuration Example - SAP Web Dispatcher - SAP Library

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Vishnu

Your's is a general scenario wherein (A)SCS is installed on 2 seperate boxes with same Virtual IP so that it can be switched upon failure. Web-requests are handled by APP servers which are not part of failover cluster. In order to create URL for web-requests, if you give hostname of APP Server1, all the requests will go to APP Server1 only and vice-versa. The solution to this challange is to install (sap)web-dispatcher before the APP Servers and expose URL of the web-dispatcher to the users. The web-dispatcher will distribute incoming web-requests to the APP Servers hidden behind it.

One more benefit of this approach is that you need not expose hostname of your APP Servers to the outside world. This adds an element of security to your network.

I hope this information will help you!

Regards,
Tapan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak/Tapan,

Thank you for your responses.

We have completed the installation of Java Systems on a MSCS Cluster Environment.

Before setting up Web Dispatcher, I was wondering how do we install a license on these systems.

We have one Central Instance and two APP Servers.

Can you guys tell me how do I install license on a WebAS Java installation in a HA Environment.

Thank you,

Vishnu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reegan,

Yes, I have gone through the Notes. None of the Notes talk about how to install a license on a HA System.

Regards,

Vishnu.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

License keys are requested based on the hardware key. If the hardware key is different on both nodes then you need to requests 2 licenses with the hardware keys and install them.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan,

Yes, that is true. And I did the same with ABAP Systems. But with Java, how do we access the application to install license on both nodes?. With Java I believe we access the application using the hostname and portno of the app servers.

Regards,

Vishnu.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Vishnu

License keys are stored in the database. License keys are requested with the help of the hardware key retrieved with the command saplicense -get executed under sidadm on the host where the message server is running or designed to run.

You do not need the SAP application to be running on the node to install the license. License for the node B can be installed on the SAP system when the application is running on node A.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Vishnu

For NW 7.4 Java Systems you need to to apply license through NWA. You need to run NWA on Central Instance. For detailed steps please refer sap help link:

Requesting and Installing an SAP License

==============================

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73ehp1/helpdata/en/9f/5e533e5ff4d064e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

I hope this information will help you.

Cheers.

Tapan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Tapan,

Thank you for your response.

On a High Availability Portal Installation, if we have one Central Instance and an additional dialog Instance, in that case, do we install a license on both of them.

Regards,

Vishnu.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You do not install licenses for all the AS's.

I already gave you the answer in the previous reply how and where the license should be installed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Vishnu

No. You just need to run NWA on Central Instance and apply license. It will be applied for Dialog Instances on its own.

Cheers,

Tapan