cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWBC and Portal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

If a customer working in Portal, Is there any benefits for him if he planned to move to NWBC..?

Some of my queries are

1. Non SAP Applications are not supported in NWBC and supported in Portal...Is it correct even in NWBC 4.0..?

2. For larger companies which is prefered NWBC or Portal.?

3. Is third party applications supported by NWBC.?

4. NWBC is completely in ABAP  and not in  Java Platform.?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Damean
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is just my 2 cents ...

1. Non SAP Applications are not supported in NWBC and supported in Portal...Is it correct even in NWBC 4.0..?

-NOT true. NWBC could run MAJORITY of application that Portal runs too

2. For larger companies which is prefered NWBC or Portal.?

-Depending on budget. As a single point of access, SAP Portal is still far superior compare to NWBC.

3. Is third party applications supported by NWBC.?

-Depends on which 3rd Party App

4. NWBC is completely in ABAP  and not in  Java Platform.?

-False

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Damean for your reply.

Can u please clarify 1 more query.

What exactly I want to know is that If a customer is already installed and working in portal, is there any specific feature or advantages in NWBC  that attracts customers to get into to NWBC.

Damean
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Generally speaking, I would say if the cost is already pay for (SAP Portal license & its associated infrastructure plus support), then there would be very little reason for one to invest the extras so as to use NWBC (especially NWBC for HTML)

The only exception that I could think of, is for Users that is still using SAPGUI\WebGUI exclusively. This type of users tends to only require access to one specific Business Suite backend system and also spent considerable time on it. That way, you could at least gain some slight performance advantage and leverage NWBC (Desktop version) much superior integration with native SAPGUI. Also note that NWBC (Desktop version) also has some nifty navigation features (left navigation panel, integrated side panel, Search Bar etc) that SAP Portal still lacks ... but the tradeoff is still need to maintain the Fatclient (i.e. SAPGUI )

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Damean,

This is what I am looking for.  Now I can confidently say to my PM what you said above. Actually my PM asked to prepare with a presentation on  NWBC to clients who are working on R/3 as well as Portal. But I couldn't find a single reason for those who already installed Portal to move to NWBC. For others its absolutely fine.

Anyway thanks a lot once again. Cheers !!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Initial cost is one thing, but maintenance cost seems to be higher for the portal (infrastructure to maintain, servers to patch, netweaver to upgrade and all the testing related to the portal, PFCG role to upload...).

We actually have the portal installed, it runs in production.

We use it as a transactional portal (SSO for all the different SAP environnement, PFCG roles - menus) and for UWL. Nothing else.

In this case, I'm not sur that maintaining 9 servers for just SSO and UWL is really a good thing.

I'm actually thinking to move to NWBC + SSO (through Cybersafe product or this kinf of product) and replace UWL by one of the differents solutions provided by SAP (the new My Inbox Fiori apps for example).

Answers (0)