Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching BW authorization concept back and forth on the fly

Andreas5
Explorer
0 Kudos

After upgrading to BW 7.0, we are currently developing the BW authorizations from scratch with the new analytical authorizations. The system is currently set to the legacy RSR authorization objects. The idea is now to define two timeframes on our development system, one for the users working with old authorizations, and a second timeframe for testing the new analytical authorizations.

Can we switch the authorization concept back and forth on the fly, or are there any obstacles?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shivraj_singh2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Andreas,

The latest version of BW is 7.3 which is also Analysis authorization concept like 7.0. So please clarify from the system status what level are you upgrading to.

Under 7.0, the RSR objects were still available i.e. you can switch the concept back and forth on the fly, it will trigger a transport. AFAIK - In 7.3 however there is no support for RSR anymore in fact even the object class is not visible and so does the switch for the concept and even RSR objects (Z-objects) do not show up in PFCG either.

So if you are moving to 7.0 switch is possible, 7.3 it is not. But in either case, you should be upgrading using a dual landscape with upgrade work being done & tested in separate boxes than daily production support landscape. It will come in handy at the time of testing also.

Regards,
Shivraj Singh

3 REPLIES 3

shivraj_singh2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Andreas,

The latest version of BW is 7.3 which is also Analysis authorization concept like 7.0. So please clarify from the system status what level are you upgrading to.

Under 7.0, the RSR objects were still available i.e. you can switch the concept back and forth on the fly, it will trigger a transport. AFAIK - In 7.3 however there is no support for RSR anymore in fact even the object class is not visible and so does the switch for the concept and even RSR objects (Z-objects) do not show up in PFCG either.

So if you are moving to 7.0 switch is possible, 7.3 it is not. But in either case, you should be upgrading using a dual landscape with upgrade work being done & tested in separate boxes than daily production support landscape. It will come in handy at the time of testing also.

Regards,
Shivraj Singh

0 Kudos

Thanks for your help.

The development system has already been upgraded to 7.0, currently with legacy RSR. We now want to develop the new analysis authorizations from scratch by turning on the new concept for a specific timeframe (let's say for 8 hours per day) and then switch back to the old concept for the people still working on old queries.

As far as I understand your answer, this should not be a problem, right?

0 Kudos

Andreas,

1) To develop AA, you don't have to have the system on AA settings. You can create AA even if the security setup is on RSR. But to test them you need to have the settings on AA settings.

2) Rather than switching settings back and forth I would say keep them in separate systems. One system on RSR & one on AA settings, so that when you develop AA, you can check and validate it against the existing system i.e. query results are same under RSR settings& AA settings.

3) same system or separate system - have some sort of a soft freeze on your development so that you don't have to double your work.

Regards,
Shivraj Singh