cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do SMP3.0 supports JSON based RESTful services exposed via JBOSS server??

Premnarayan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are working on a PoC for a customer to consume JSON based RESTful (exposed via JBOSS Server) service from SMP 3.0. We were not able to get the DataSet. the below are the steps which we performed and the respective result.

1) Created a SMP Application - Able to ping the application with the base URL

2) Tested the connections - Able to create a Registration using Firefox POSTMAN client

3) Data Consumption from the service - We are not able to get the response for the service when we try the same via SMP,but we are able to get the data when we try the REST service URL directly from the browser.

How do we achieve this? Do SMP3.0 support JSON based RESTful service? Can Integration Gateway Help?

Thanks, Prem

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

SMP do support JSON based RESTful service .Few tips :

• SMP 3.0 has Odata protocol based Data synchronization allows data to be synchronized using HTTP , HTTPS .
  • Odata Protocol has full-fledged support towards REST Methodology .Any protocol(Odata here ) that support full web HTTP methods (Put.delete,update,get , post) offers warm welcome to REST methodology.
  • Odata can be consumed using JSON or XML.Recommendation is to go with JSON (Simple to parse and consume).

In Nut shull , SMP 3.0 only allows to consume the data using any of the following interface based datasource

SOAP service, JPA , JDBC,ODA .

Once data is consumed onto SMP then it can further be distributed across targeted application via converting it to Odata interface based metadata.

Note :If Jboss server is capable of exposing the datasource using JDBC then SMP should allow you to consume the data and generating the Odata service API out of it .You also should understand that Odata protocol has full support to REST methodology so all REST methods like (GET,PUT , DELETE,POST,UPDATE) will always be there using Odata way .

Premnarayan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi harry,

Thanks for the reply.

you are very much correct that Odata has full support to REST methodology, here is what i tried and failed.

I tried to ping the JSON RESTful service after configuring it into SMP server via postman client to make sure whether it returns me the data or not, but it returns me only the output structure of JSON REST service without data, where as i can view the data out of it if i run REST service directly from the browser, that means data is available but i am unable to get it via SMP3.

Thanks, Prem

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Can you please share the response screenshot of that service run in postman client?

What happens when you run the URL in a browser? Get any response?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Browser typically allows us to perform request/response mechanism whereby you may request for certain URL and response would be rendered.In your case when you make a request call to the JSON rest API the request is served and browser is updated with the Data as response.

On other hand , SMP3.0 is the middleware that allows us to consume the data interface from targeted backend source by interfacing with their respective API's .Once done , SMP 3.0 can generate the service metadata for us Not the data out of it .The purpose here is the same metadata we wrap up and provide to the targeted front end and thus front end using the service metadata start talking to the backend . SMP 3.0 is offering an interface(Odata based) which is generic for all targeted platform and is working using request/response technique where No data caching and synchronization in between at SMP server.

Premnarayan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

hi Jitendra,

attached are the screen shots of both SMP service from postman we tried and the original service from the browser.

1- postman ping for SMP URL and header says success.

2- Response body with entity set structure and empty data there is no data inside the collection named "Connection" as well and if i call this i fails with 501, that not implemented, so i guess SMP3 is unable to create the entity set out the JSON REST services while converting it into Odata service internally.

3- i can view data if run directly the REST service from browser.

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Not sure about RESTful services but SOAP services are supported by SMP 3.0 using integration Gateway. Have alook if this post can help you.

http://scn.sap.com/people/marvin.hoffmann/blog/2014/03/15/how-to-connect-soap-webservices-with-integ...